If you have nice clothes, do you need a nice car?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nmoraitis, Jan 23, 2008.

1. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

Only group heads and MD rockstars at investment banks make enough money to have a $300K weekend car. These same people aren't going to mess around with altering $300 suits and worrying about paying full retail. In other words, I'd bet HB is a internet poseur who probably works at a community bank in northern California and parks his car in a garage where some big shot occassionally parks his Lambo. If he takes pics it will be of this variety. I'm not quite sure why this wasn't evident to everybody after his first post about it.

Wasn't there a SFer from the Middle East a couple years back that wrote in a similar style to HB, constantly bragging? Most members thought he was a poser. Whatever happened to him?

2. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

I love nice clothes and nice cars; I always have. It's extremely gratifying (and fortunate) to have both; however, one is not essential to the other.

3. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

False, the Smart is as comfortable inside as any other car... it simply has only 2 seats, but they are comfy enough.

One of my friends is an elegant chic lady, and she arrives on a smart without any shame

I am sure the seats are comfy enough, in the same sense that something like Brooks Brothers is good enough for a suit.

I am not sure I understand the lady friend part...why would we care what the ladies drive? [​IMG]

+1.

This thread smacks of people trying to create a "total look". I find it pretty laughable that somebody thinks stepping out of a relatively inexpensive car could ruin the look of your good suit. It is kind of reminiscent of the "what is the tardest" questions over on AAAC. When you think this way you need to be careful that when something small gets out of place, you don't let it ruin your life.

Style is not just about the suit. Think of it like wearing nice clothes in the old days, but stepping off a pony or donkey. [​IMG]

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I "drive" a subway or a pair of legs, I don't like cars and try not to have to own one.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

+1.

This thread smacks of people trying to create a "total look". I find it pretty laughable that somebody thinks stepping out of a relatively inexpensive car could ruin the look of your good suit. It is kind of reminiscent of the "what is the tardest" questions over on AAAC. When you think this way you need to be careful that when something small gets out of place, you don't let it ruin your life.

I am sure the seats are comfy enough, in the same sense that something like Brooks Brothers is good enough for a suit.

Style is not just about the suit. Think of it like wearing nice clothes in the old days, but stepping off a pony or donkey. [​IMG]

No, style is inside, not the suit or the car. You are sort of proving my point...

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

No, style is inside, not the suit or the car. You are sort of proving my point...

Stop making sense all the time; you're supposed to be a douche since you work in finance!!! Please adjust your behaviour to fit stereotypes or the terrorists will win, kthkxbai!

In exchange I promise to post about how people who don't appreciate Chagall should be classified as second-class citizens.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1.

Yeah. There's a point at which consumption becomes too conspicuous. I'm not suggesting that having a nice car and nice clothes necessarily crosses that line, but some of the comments in this thread seem way too caught up in the whole thing.

It's possible to lose yourself in expensive brand names, such that any sort of personal style is subjugated to the image that you like expensive brand names.

8. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Smart cars and eco-friendly cars are for tree-hugging liberals. I find it so funny that we live in the most capitalist country in the world, yet there are still people out there that look down with disdain at others that drive gas guzzling suv's and the such. I was raised that it is my God givin American right to live as large as possible for the short amount of time that were here. If you dont agree, thats great, to each his own, but please, dont try to push your liberal garbage on the rest of us.

[​IMG]

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Fora vs non-fora...

I believe it's fairly common for a WIS with some incredible watch or clothing forum maven with a great personal style and wardrobe to tool around in a sensible midsize sedan.

One would hope, but it isn't always the case...I mean my car isn't midsize. [​IMG]

Yes...and they can be readily viewed all over south Florida. [​IMG]

Jon.

10. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

+1, Well said Matt

11. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

One would look quite stylish stepping out of this car. [​IMG]

12. spertia

spertia Senior member

The Delorean.

My wife still swears that we are getting a Delorean one day, if/when we can afford an "extra" car just for fun. However, she is slowly coming around to my alternative plan, a late '70s Maserati Merak:

[​IMG]

13. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior member

I shop at two nice mens stores....on many occasions, I have seen a Phantom or a GT in the parking lot. These are also the same chaps wearing $12000 Kiton suits and matching shoes in the rain or snow.

I like having a nice car, but it does not make me who I am. I would trade my car in a second for $40,000+ worth of clothing. Clothing makes the man, cars just waste your money.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

My wife still swears that we are getting a Delorean one day, if/when we can afford an "extra" car just for fun. However, she is slowly coming around to my alternative plan, a late '70s Maserati Merak:

[​IMG]

Beautiful car, but I hope you know how to repair it yourself...or you have a lot of extra cash laying about.

Jon.

15. TCN

TCN Senior member

Wisconsin??? The cheese state? In New York 200k gets you a house in the ghetto. In Wisconsin,Ohio and Michigan it gets a Villa

Hmmm, disappointing to see another Greek come up with such provincial statements.

By the way, I live in Michigan, and I guess I sort of indirectly sell insurance . . . shall we have my accountant talk to yours? ;-)

I do believe that people like to see their lawyer, or their doctor, or even their "insurance salesman" be successful, although not too successful.

By the way, "villa" doesn't necessarily connote an expensive house, but that being said, $200K doesn't buy you much in Michigan . . . not much more than it would buy you in suburban New York, although we pay higher property taxes here than you do.