• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Hockey

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
The Wings just sucked for 40 years...(55-97). I gotta be honest, don't know if its because of all of their "fans" in every NHL building, but I have a certain affinity for every original 6 team, except them. I don't dislike them, but I find myself pulling for all the others (unless playing my NYRs). Know what would be great, and all Original 6 semifinals...Mtl vs Bos and Det vs Chi...real OLD TIME HOCKEY!

They sucked from 67 - 91, not 40 yrs. Losing 6 SCF and being in the playoffs shouldn't count as "sucked".

Interesting perspective from you and many others on this forum that don't like the Wings. They have what is considered one of the best owners of any sports franchise, one of the best scouting dept's, have a great team chemistry, good coaches, and perennial individual trophy winners. The team is usually called out as a model franchise in the last decade or two. They consistently finish high in the standings and get later draft picks, and yet still find gems in the later rounds.

So, is it just general dislike of an opponent, jealousy, rooting for the underdog, or something else?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wingin' it
They sucked from 67 - 91, not 40 yrs. Losing 6 SCF and being in the playoffs shouldn't count as "sucked". Interesting perspective from you and many others on this forum that don't like the Wings. They have what is considered one of the best owners of any sports franchise, one of the best scouting dept's, have a great team chemistry, good coaches, and perennial individual trophy winners. The team is usually called out as a model franchise in the last decade or two. They consistently finish high in the standings and get later draft picks, and yet still find gems in the later rounds. So, is it just general dislike of an opponent, jealousy, rooting for the underdog, or something else?
I think for me, today, they are much like the Red Army teams, or the Yankees...always winning with not much personality (or personality I like). You can't argue their record lately, but there have been some Red Wing teams in the last few years that haven't even gotten Wings fan excited (a few years of lots of empty seats, and IIRC some playoff games that didn't sell out.) Anyway, I can't stand how anywhere you see a Wings game, there are soooooo many of their fans...can't help but think they are a bunch of Johnny Come Latelies as I don't remember them before 97. Plus, of all the Original 6 towns, Detroit is the last one I'd like to go to. And I don't hate them, I'm more like, "m'eh"

BP348

Reaction score
Anyone else upset by the ass kicking the Blackhawks took? I hope they get a wake up call and play a lot better in game 2.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
They played fine in period 1, then it fell apart. Nuckers got every bounce go their way, and played pretty well to boot. Luo was very solid. The better team won on the night but it wasn't as lopsided as the final score suggested, I don't think Chi is in real trouble unless they lose game 2, which is going to be a tough one to win for the nucks, especially considering the franchise's tendency to never capitalize on putting themselves in a good position.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wingin' it
So, is it just general dislike of an opponent, jealousy, rooting for the underdog, or something else?

Everyone I have ever disliked in my entire life has been a Red Wings fan. Not to say I dislike all Red Wings fans, but I have just never ever liked them. Flames fan here
frown.gif

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think for me, today, they are much like the Red Army teams, or the Yankees...always winning with not much personality (or personality I like). You can't argue their record lately, but there have been some Red Wing teams in the last few years that haven't even gotten Wings fan excited (a few years of lots of empty seats, and IIRC some playoff games that didn't sell out.)

Anyway, I can't stand how anywhere you see a Wings game, there are soooooo many of their fans...can't help but think they are a bunch of Johnny Come Latelies as I don't remember them before 97. Plus, of all the Original 6 towns, Detroit is the last one I'd like to go to. And I don't hate them, I'm more like, "m'eh"

it's going to sound cliched as hell, but last couple year's attendance (or lack thereof) was a product of the economy in the Detroit area. It wasn't a lack of excitement in MI, it was the lack of disposable income.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But then they come around in the playoffs (when tickets wee up to 5x more)? I can't blame that entirely on the economy

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even playoff games weren't sold out. Attendance was bad at those too.

Wings are doomed. May as well pay up now

bullethead

Reaction score
i wouldn't say that. if they didn't sublet the penalty box they could've won easily. they have to win game three, obviously.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
But then they come around in the playoffs (when tickets wee up to 5x more)? I can't blame that entirely on the economy

Don't confuse a sellout crowd with the hometown coming around. I went to SCF games 1 & 2 last year (flew in from midwest) because I bought glass seats for game 2, yes glass seats, on ticketmaster for face value. Maybe just luck, but the Detroit News had a few articles about the same economy issues.
That said, most games I've been to and even watching them, the Red Wings fans are kind of disappointing. Most other arenas are louder than JL and the fans I've been around are a bit reserved. Coming in from out of town, I've kind of thought they act a bit spoiled. Too used to winning?

On another note, Fuckin' Wings were outplayed, outhustled, and out everything else tonite. Spent more time chasing the Sharks and drawing penalties then dictating play. Aside from Holmstrom, their power forwards (Cleary, Franzen, and Bertuzzi) can ride pine next game if that is their best effort. Bring in some guys with speed and desire. If not, start hitting people and getting in position to do something. Ericson is playing terrible. Way too many turnovers and miss plays for a D-man.
SJ looked better tonite than in game 1. Fast, hungry, and winning every battle. Wings have to come up big at home or they are done.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wings desperately need a new stadium. Say what you will about the Joe but it's a ******* piece of garbage. I have hardly any interest in going to a game yet will watch plenty of games at home

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got to wear Paul Coffey's hockey pants when I went to training camp for one of Detroit's farm teams.
ffffuuuu.gif
bigstar[1].gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
it's going to sound cliched as hell, but last couple year's attendance (or lack thereof) was a product of the economy in the Detroit area. It wasn't a lack of excitement in MI, it was the lack of disposable income.

Thats a fair statement, but to me Pittsburgh is a similar city, maybe because a lot of America's health care industry moved there recently could explain the better turnouts, but they sell out ALL the time. I think even in a tight economy, people will pay to see something that will entertain them.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats a fair statement, but to me Pittsburgh is a similar city, maybe because a lot of America's health care industry moved there recently could explain the better turnouts, but they sell out ALL the time. I think even in a tight economy, people will pay to see something that will entertain them.
True statement. I think it was a combination of lack of money and a terrible venue. The Joe is just such a piece. I have zero interest in paying my own dollars to sitting in such a run-down structure. Also, being badgered by a gaggle of homeless people that line up one of the only entrance/exit routes to the parking structure doesn't really help their cause. Until Illitch announces a new arena, which has been rumored to be soon, I think attendance will always be down (except for playoffs), even if we have another 60 win team. I'll admit that most Detroit sports fans in general are total bandwagon fans. We hop right on when times a great and hop off so quick when it's bad (IE this year's Pistons).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads