• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I like Belgian beer

wingnutsglory

Reaction score
Originally Posted by faust
Yep, I picked one up when I was in Antwerp in '03. I still use the bottle as a candle holder :). BTW, I have consistently found Belgian beer to taste much better... well, in Belgium (or in Holland). I asked a beer store owner from whom I was buying the Chimay, and he said that the FDA requires beer exporters to kill the organic fermenting agents that give much of the taste to the beer. Don't know how true that is, but it made sense to me.

BTW, I really don't like the Rochefort 10, I thought it was too bitter.

My absolute fave is Westmalle Dubbel, but I also like Chimay Blue, Chimay Cinqe Cents, and Affligem. For simpler stuff, I like Leffe Bruin and Hoegaarden. I am not a big fan of Duvel. And I know it's a sin, but I think Corsendonk is good.

On a side note - Chimay cheeses are awesome!

Don't think that's true. Anyway, by the time most Belgian beers are released, yeasts are no longer contributing to the flavor. There's very little fermentation that goes on during the bottle conditioning stage...

Trilby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
Liefmans' fruit beers aren't lambics; they use a Flemish sour brown ale base (i.e. the Liefmans' Goudenband) that lacks the wild yeast and spontaneous fermentation of lambics.

Many of the widely available fruit beers are extremely sweet. A glass of kriek can be an enjoyable drink on a hot day, but it's often like having a soft drink. I tried the Kriek de Ranke a couple of weeks ago, which was a revelation. It had a real kick to it, with the tartness of geuze mellowed out by the fruit flavour. Well worth a try if you see it.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arenaissanceman
That's why I said "all-around". I describe it as the Budweiser of Belgium
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by skalogre
Nooo, that onerous distinction should go to Stella Artois (yes Whodini
tongue.gif
). Shudder.

Funnily enough, the Belgian Budweiser is Jupiler which is virtually unknown out of the country. Jupiler and Stella (as well as Hoegaerden and a couple of others) are brands of Belgo-Brazilian InBev, and they decided to push Stella as their export brand in place of Jupiler. Belgians drink far more Jupiler than Stella.

Seersucker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
Funnily enough, the Belgian Budweiser is Jupiler which is virtually unknown out of the country. Jupiler and Stella (as well as Hoegaerden and a couple of others) are brands of Belgo-Brazilian InBev, and they decided to push Stella as their export brand in place of Jupiler. Belgians drink far more Jupiler than Stella.

I'm with Tibo on this one. Have spent a great deal of time in Belgium and Stella is definitely in the minority even in the cafes.

Here in central Virginia, my suppliers are rather run of the mill. All of what Budweiser distributes for InBev plus a few choice selections. But no Jupiler or Maes or even Palm.

ardeetee

Reaction score
not sure if this was already mentioned, but I remember someone telling me that Stella is actually brewed in the northern parts of France, not Belgium. As far as Paris goes, the only beers I've had here are Chimay (blue and yellow label), Grimbergen, and Hoegaarden. I need to find myself a beer boutique where I can sample some of the rarer Belgiums... any leads?
smile.gif

X-It

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ardeetee
not sure if this was already mentioned, but I remember someone telling me that Stella is actually brewed in the northern parts of France, not Belgium.

As far as Paris goes, the only beers I've had here are Chimay (blue and yellow label), Grimbergen, and Hoegaarden. I need to find myself a beer boutique where I can sample some of the rarer Belgiums... any leads?
smile.gif

My best friend lives in Belgium.

I remember that when I visited her she and her Belgian husband took me for a day trip to Brugge and there is a shop which sale all kind of Belgium beers. Lots of tourists visit this particular shop to have samples of Belgium beers. I wish I knew what's the shop name...

Most Belgian like to drink Duvel and Maes Pils.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I bought a case of 24 Chimay blue label recently, really on a whim and counting on the supposedly good reputation.

I quite enjoy the beer. I don't drink it with any food, just the beer itself, in a chalice-like glass. Despite the 9% alcohol content it's not really noticeable. It's got wonderful aroma and minimal bitter aftertaste, somewhat sweet/caramel-like. I'm hooked. The price is somewhat steep compared to others though.

I'm in the process of trying some of the other Trappist offerings.

Mm, I do loves me some Belgian beer. You should really consider putting a number of those aside for a few years. Since Chimay is made with a live yeast, it can be aged to bring out more complexities in the beer. I've never personally tried an aged Chimay but heard that it develops more of a sweetness and becomes even more well rounded. Many people age it for six, others up to sixteen years. I'd love to try it myself but, in a fit of strong craving, would probably imbibe of all my aging beauties before allowing them to reach maturity (that sounded rather pedophiliac).

joneblaze

Reaction score
Hoegaarden and the Leffe blonde stuff is great. There is also a damn good flavoured brew called Frolis, which comes in Peach, Mango or Apricot flavours. A bit girly but tastes fantastic.

totally epic

Reaction score
Honestly guys, I don't mean to come off as a prick, but talking about Chimay/Hoegaarden/Stella in a Belgian beer thread is like talking about Starbucks in a coffee thread. Yeah, they're better than the average beer, but they're not spectacular (i.e. not discussion worthy IMO) and rather ubiquitous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads