• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I saw a sign of overbranding and "chav"-ing?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Russians also have a habit of desiring branded goods. One will frequently see roving bands of Russians at Loehmans, snatching up Moschino tee-shirts and Hugo Boss belts, and then utterling a little vocal sign of happiness to their fellow marauders.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them made a tidy sum reselling the things in Russia.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my idiot friends, yesterday, was saying he wants to buy a $300 Ferragamo belt w/ a logo buckle, but he wears ugly duckbill KC shoes. I'm not familiar with the word "Chav"...but I think this must qualify.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
One of my idiot friends, yesterday, was saying he wants to buy a $300 Ferragamo belt w/ a logo buckle, but he wears ugly duckbill KC shoes. I'm not familiar with the word "Chav"...but I think this must qualify.

Buy him a Burberry nova-plaid scarf to wear in all seasons (summer included), a pair of oversized, preferably fake Chanel aviators with interlocking Cs on the side as large as quarters, and you'll have it!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Get him to upgrade to the Hermes H buckle.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Buy him a Burberry nova-plaid scarf to wear in all seasons (summer included), a pair of oversized, preferably fake Chanel aviators with interlocking Cs on the side as large as quarters, and you'll have it!

....Like he doesn't already have that stuff?!?!?! What do you get for the guy that has everything? I think he'd love me forever if I found Iron-on Rock & Republic pocket logos.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
....Like he doesn't already have that stuff?!?!?! What do you get for the guy that has everything? I think he'd love me forever if I found Iron-on Rock & Republic pocket logos.

My mistake. Then perhaps I could interest Monsieur in anything from DSquared...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
They've been pushing to upscale their image (and prices). Seems to be working, at least in certain demographics.

Coach is one of the remarkable re-branding stories in the last 5 years or so. It successfully transitioned from a middle aged, staid brand, to a brand with much more appeal to a younger audience with higher spending power, much of it on the merits of those logoed, colorful bags. I don't really like the branding either, but it is remarkably successful.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mistake. Then perhaps I could interest Monsieur in anything from DSquared...

Their sailor line this year is CRACKING me up. I can't believe anyone would pay $400 for those tacky red/white/blue polos. The buyer at Sak's chicago found the worst of it too....some of the stuff at Scoop is at least decent-looking, if overpriced.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I recall, Coach took Burberry's former CEO who was also responsible for that brand's revival.

Dooney & Bourke, another staid American brand, has been trying to follow in Coach's steps with rather colorful things that are ultimately distasteful.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
You were in court, a place that exists to try or sentence those who comitted a crime. And you are looking down on people?
It was a TRAFFIC court...not a criminal court. Not exactly a crime riddle room. (honestly..I'm not looking at it in an elitism looking down on thou sense, I'm looking at it as this is a very dreggy place sense). I was truly not looking down on them. I was superimposing a superficial thought to myself as I sat in a place I didn't want to be in again, so I can make light of the situation. In doing so, I realized just how far the marketing plan of Coach has come in the last 5 years. It's reached a LOT of people. I won't make that mistake again. At the same time, I won't make the mistake of prematurely paying for a ticket for 400 dollars when I can come to the courtroom and have it reduced to 50. That is the TRUE crime to not try and have it reduced.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Fendi also has a very well-established monogram of interlocking "F" patterns on a dark brown/black background. Not as bad as giant Cs all over the place, but hardly subtle. And, put some neon purple python skin accenting (which they did a season or two back) and you've really got something classy...
wink.gif

Are you serious?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Are you serious?

Unfortuantely, skalogre my friend, I WAS being serious. They looked like something a goat coughs up (they'll eat anything, you know), with a leather strap attached. And, they started at about $1800 or so, if I remember correctly...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads