• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I really feel like there is nothing to buy!

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, it may sound a little stupid, but when it come to tailored clothing in particular, I really think there is nothing to buy. Even though I dont have a lot by any standards, I feel like I have all that I could need, at 17. (I wear a suit on a daily basis to school). I have;

1 Medium Grey Suit Ermenegildo Zegna Su Misura (I really hate grey suits, but I though it could be nice to dress a little conservative once in a while, and it add a bit of individuality, as most of the guys in school wear charcoals, navys, or blacks). SB 3 Button 'average' stance no vents

1 Charcoal suit with barley visible stripes by Gerald Austin of Bond Street. SB 2 Button, low stance. dual vents

1 Black/Dark Charcoal Versace Classic Suit SB 3 button, high stance. dual vents

1 Navy Zara Suit, fit is amazing, I really like this suit - the fabric colour and the fit. 3 button SB 'average' stance. single vent

1 Zara light grey micro-houndstooth, SB 3 button, average stance with tickect pocket dual vents

1 Dark grey pinstripe Zara, SB 3 button, av. stance, dual vents

all above have notch lapels

1 Black suede blazer by Gucci, 2 button SB low-ish stance.

1 Black Karl Largerfeld blazer

1 Black Dior Homme blazer

a lot of trousers in various colours, mostly no pleats, and not turn ups

about 10 blue shirts by 2 by Charvet, 1 by YSL, 1 by Gucci, and 1 by Brioni, and 5 by Cotonifico Ablini for Marks and Spencer.

3 White shirts, 1 Dolce & Gabbana (mainline), 1 Cerutti Black Label, and 1 Ermenegildo Zegna.

2 Pink shirts, 1 Charvet 1 Cotonifico Ablini for Marks and Spencer.

1 Gucci loafers, black

1 Gucci brown semi-brogues

1 Ceaser Paciotti black lace ups

1 Salvatore Ferragamo Studio black lace ups

1 Gucci Boots black

1 Frattatelli Rosetti black lace ups

A black Versace Classic overcoat.

A ss Cartier Tank

A ss Rolex Submariner

A yg Cartier Tank

A ss Bvlgari-Bvlgari

The question is what to buy???

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
style,

and I say this with love, man, you don't need anymore ****, at this point in your life. If you are 17 and you have all that stuff, take a breather and wait a while. even if you have the money, for your souls sake wait a while before you buy more stuff.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
style,

and I say this with love, man, you don't need anymore ****, at this point in your life. If you are 17 and you have all that stuff, take a breather and wait a while. even if you have the money, for your souls sake wait a while before you buy more stuff.
The thing is I havent bought anything for a long time, so I feel like getting something new, but there is nothing in the shops that I really like (in terms of suitings, okay theres a lot of causal stuff I like, Dior etc. but way too expensive.) - I have just had a long 'breather', about 6 months.

Although I would agree, I may grow out of it, so it might be a bit wastefull.

spatten

Reaction score
I didn't see any brown suit on the list. Browns can be a lot of fun and certainly more casual. Try some patterns. There is a lot of area for exploration here. If you are wearing a suit daily, I would add a few to the rotation to spare wear on the others.

There are many people here who really enjoy English shoes - perhaps you should explore these. Check out some of the slick Edward Greens - much better than Gucci, Ferragamo in my opinion.

I've never had your problem - I could easily walk into to somehwere like Neiman Marcus and spend upwards of 10K per day on items that I would truly enjoy - if the funds were available. Somedays I wish I had your problem.

Browse through some catalogs, find some looks you like -
Scott

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I didn't see any brown suit on the list.  Browns can be a lot of fun and certainly more casual. Try some patterns. There is a lot of area for exploration here.  If you are wearing a suit daily, I would add a few to the rotation to spare wear on the others.  

There are many people here who really enjoy English shoes - perhaps you should explore these. Check out some of the slick Edward Greens - much better than Gucci, Ferragamo in my opinion.

I've never had your problem - I could easily walk into to somehwere like Neiman Marcus and spend upwards of 10K per day on items that I would truly enjoy - if the funds were available.  Somedays I wish I had your problem.  

Browse through some catalogs, find some looks you like -
Scott
What sort of brown suit would you suggest, maybe a darker less reddish tone I would think?

I am sure that English shoes are of a higher quality, but I don't like the very classic designs, I preffer the more pointed Italian stlye shoes. I think a Oxford on a 17 yo looks pretty silly. Perhaps there are brands which make a comprimise with the styling and quality (Lobb is a bit too expensive, I would have thought)

Thanks for the advise.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bah, don't sweat it. I know buying things is great, but you sound like you have a pretty solid wardrobe already.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be a pretty dangerous trap, though. You're 17, and there will be bigger things to buy when time goes by, things like health insurance and tuition, hlhhlhglhgh.

spatten

Reaction score
I just purchased a darker brown fish eye suit by Isaia (350$ at NM last call). I think it would look great on a 17 yr old. At your age I would tend towards solids and smaller patterns - but in nice fabrics. I think darker browns are more versatile than the lighter tan suits.

I understand your sensitivity to oxfords at 17. I didn't wear them but rarely at that age myself. I was thinking more along the lines of a nice brown/cordovan loafer.

Have fun,
Scott

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Avnish.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just purchased a darker brown fish eye suit by Isaia (350$ at NM last call).  I think it would look great on a 17 yr old.  At your age I would tend towards solids and smaller patterns - but in nice fabrics.  I think darker browns are more versatile than the lighter tan suits.  

I understand your sensitivity to oxfords at 17.  I didn't wear them but rarely at that age myself.  I was thinking more along the lines of a nice brown/cordovan loafer.

Have fun,
Scott
Do you have a pic of the Isaia?

Yea, a loafer might be good.

cuffthis

Reaction score
If you get tired of buying clothes, start buying vintage cufflinks. Some of the best antique ones are right in your area of England.

That will keep you busy for a while. And you can acquire a whole heck of a lot of them and not take up too much room in your home/apt.

And they hold their value really well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads