• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a sports watch - help me pick

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
Not to horn into this threat, but does anyone with the IWC have experience with its water resistance? I looked at IWC's website and it says that watch is suitable for splashing. I am interested in the Spitfire UTC, which has the same water resistance and imagine it would not be appropriate for swimming.

Although both those IWCs have screwdown crowns, I sure wouldn't swim with them.
Especially not the chrono.
And unless you get the bracelet, the water will trash the straps in no time.

manouche

Reaction score
Take a Submariner with no dust

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of going with a IWC 3717. Anyone own one of these? I know phat guido has posted pics of the top gun version of this which caught my interest.
IW3717_8_resize.jpg
IW3717_4_resize.jpg
IW3717_1_resize.jpg
IW3717_7_resize.jpg

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
I vote 3717 out of these two.

But you would need a "do anything watch" too. How bout a 3717 and a nice inexpensive seiko diver?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I just bought a IWC Pilot's Watch Edition Antoine de Saint Exupery in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago and it is a pretty good watch.

I like my Breguet Marine better in terms of overall style. My father has a AP Royal Oak Offshore Rubens Barrichello and if you have the money it is an awesome sports watch.

$4000 euro budget...not sure what that will get you...I do not think you can even get a Rolex for that...Brietling and Bvlgari might be good choices.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of both brands... but a 40mm Panerai is just... off. Like it or not, Panerai's character lies in its big size. If you're not up to a 42mm size, stick with the IWC which IS a nice watch too.

JohnD356

Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with a classic IWC. IMO, nicer than a really big Panerai. But there is a large Panerai following. I'm just not sure how such a large watch will look down the road.

NOLA1

Reaction score
Planet Ocean 42mm blk/white or Sea Dweller

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why the IWC Big Pilot is so much more expensive than the regular pilot's chrono discussed in this thread? Other than size, I don't see what the differences is. Is it the movement? What am I missing?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Can anyone tell me why the IWC Big Pilot is so much more expensive than the regular pilot's chrono discussed in this thread? Other than size, I don't see what the differences is. Is it the movement? What am I missing?

It is the movement. It has a 7 day power reserve which is actually an IWC movement and not an ETA. I have the same movement in a gold Portuguese. ...sorry for the crappy pic.

gusvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Miguel Alvarez
didn't Gus buy a Rowlex already?

Sure did, I went with the Sea Dweller (16600). Couldn't be happier, it's a great watch!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads