• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Need a good hair gel

HairWiz

Reaction score
I have used just about every hair gel on the market. Tigi, Paul Mitchell, Got2B, LA Looks etc... and nothing really worked. I want something thatll keep my hair in place AND STILL BE SOFT TO THE TOUCH. I dont like my hair to be rock hard once its set. I have long hair and comb it to the side so a littel of my scalp is visible in the center. Do i have to use a paste or what??? or hairspray???

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
"Hold in place" in incompatible with "soft to touch"

+1...That's it, despite what the manufacturer might claim on their hair-gel box

alessandro44

Reaction score
For me, the combination of mousse and hairspray comes close to achieving the results HairWiz has described. But, yes, I'd also be interested in a hair gel that gets the job done without weighing hair down.

elgreco

Reaction score
I like Bumble & Bumble's Gellac lately, but use it a bit sparingly if you don't want the crunchy effect.

daveseg

Reaction score
I have really straight hair and have used Redken contour 08 for years. It's a bit stiff when it dries but as the day goes on it gets softer and still holds well.

b99flick

Reaction score
I've used a number of different types of gels, muds, waxes etc of varying expense on and off over the last handful of years, and what I have recently come to like is "SURF HAIR" by Garnier Fructis Style. It comes in a round, green and yellow jar-like container and is had on almost any hair product aisle from CVS to Target for cheap.

What I like about it is that it does not produce an oily no-hold like some nor does it turn stiff and shiny like others. Works well for me. My hair comes down to around my eyebrows, FWIW.

btlaxripper

Reaction score
Axe style waxes and such. I use them, cheap and smell good. As long as it keeps your hair looking good then who cares.

Not to sound like a trend follower but gel is pretty much the stuff of yesteryear...
it's all about the wax now to have a soft look to it

kruze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by btlaxripper
Axe style waxes and such. I use them, cheap and smell good. As long as it keeps your hair looking good then who cares.

Not to sound like a trend follower but gel is pretty much the stuff of yesteryear...
it's all about the wax now to have a soft look to it

you are totally right man. if you are looking for hold and soft to the touch, gel is definitely not going to do it for you. stick with wax, fiber, pomade. look at american crew products. ive used a bunch of stuff but i like their products the best for 'cvs brand'. they arent cheap, but if you can find a wax or fiber from another cheap brand im sure it would do the same thing. i bought one that had a green base and silver cap that was a little cheaper, but i forgot the name. it's usually near the 'got2b' and 'bedhead' brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics