• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't wear plain white shirts anymore

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is very hard to give an advice based on somebody description because there are rules and exceptions...
For example , my hair is very dark but my complexion is quite clear.....
You put me in the sun for a day or two and i will tan very quickly,making the old clothing tone policy even more difficult...
In winter time with a more palish tskin tone ,I'm absolutely awful in yellow ,beige or cream despite the fact my hair is very black...
Beige is leaving me looking like a ghost bringing a yellowish tone to my face.....
I really love cream suits despite the fact they do not really suit me despite the fact that everybody always think that i can wear them without any problem...
My best colours are navy blue ,charcoal grey ,black and dark brown and i'm looking more mediterranean than east coast wasp...
I find white or pink quite easy to wear and not ghostish even on whiter complexion...
You can also try a stronger pink or a bit of colour on the collar or the inside collar.....
That is a new trick that i have recently applied.....
I bought a lot of shirt with a colour in the inside collar .......When you take to tie off ,your white shirt is very quickly more interesting as soon as you loosen the top button or buttons...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I've ever left white shirts, but I have lost interest a couple of times until they're the only thing in the closet, so I have to wear them, and then they surprise me at how well they can work. As mentioned by a couple of other people, they work great casually as well with jeans and sleeves rolled up or paired with a sportcoat.

A 200/2 white is very nice, too. I just ordered one with a fine diamond pattern from the SIC Tess Bugatti line --- there are lots of different textures of white from very many manufacturers, if you want something a bit more interesting. The new Alumo 3-ply 160s white is worth looking at, too --- it's not a solid texture as you can see some patterning (parallel lines in one direction) due to the weaving, but it feels very substantial and heavy.

--Andre

Camiceria

Reaction score
I love wearing white shirts both formal and informal. I don't think there's anything giving you more clean and fresh look. I do agree on some of the comments though - it does depend on the colour of skin and hair and, not to forget, the way you treat your shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads