1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I can't wear plain white shirts anymore

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EL72, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

Are black suits next? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's nothing better than a crisp white shirt in 200/2. Nothing looks better sans-tie.

I hardly ever wear a tie and dont have to suit up for work, but I often wear a blazer or suit for going out or when I just feel like looking fine. I concur with GQg, the white shirt san-tie is hard to beat for informal elegance. Kind of like that Cary Grant photo (if only I looked more like Cary Grant).

But, for day-to-day, I'm with GetSmart: lots of ginghams and stripes.

3. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

please don't tell me now that [Your Color Here] is the new white !

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The white shirt has always been my favourite. I also love pink, then lavender, than light blue, but I really prefer shirts with a white base. The clean simplicity I find very desirable, especially when worn with more dramatically detailed and/or cut pieces. Plus, it works wonders with my complexion.

5. epa

epa Senior member

Your are convincing me... White will be my new non-white.
    I have a doubt though: I have dark hair (turning grey, though) and green eyes, but I am very pale. Are white shirts OK for pale skin?
    Maybe it depends on whether they are combined with a dark jacket/tie, or with a jacket/tie with strong colours?
    I think so, but I am not really sure.
    What about other colours? Black? Brown?
    (Yellow and cream shirts are definitely wrong for me, I think.)
    Are there any "rules" about the choice of colours in view of skin tone?

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It is very hard to give an advice based on somebody description because there are rules and exceptions...
    For example , my hair is very dark but my complexion is quite clear.....
    You put me in the sun for a day or two and i will tan very quickly,making the old clothing tone policy even more difficult...
    In winter time with a more palish tskin tone ,I'm absolutely awful in yellow ,beige or cream despite the fact my hair is very black...
    Beige is leaving me looking like a ghost bringing a yellowish tone to my face.....
    I really love cream suits despite the fact they do not really suit me despite the fact that everybody always think that i can wear them without any problem...
    My best colours are navy blue ,charcoal grey ,black and dark brown and i'm looking more mediterranean than east coast wasp...
    I find white or pink quite easy to wear and not ghostish even on whiter complexion...
    You can also try a stronger pink or a bit of colour on the collar or the inside collar.....
    That is a new trick that i have recently applied.....
    I bought a lot of shirt with a colour in the inside collar .......When you take to tie off ,your white shirt is very quickly more interesting as soon as you loosen the top button or buttons...

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

I'm not sure that I've ever left white shirts, but I have lost interest a couple of times until they're the only thing in the closet, so I have to wear them, and then they surprise me at how well they can work. As mentioned by a couple of other people, they work great casually as well with jeans and sleeves rolled up or paired with a sportcoat.

A 200/2 white is very nice, too. I just ordered one with a fine diamond pattern from the SIC Tess Bugatti line --- there are lots of different textures of white from very many manufacturers, if you want something a bit more interesting. The new Alumo 3-ply 160s white is worth looking at, too --- it's not a solid texture as you can see some patterning (parallel lines in one direction) due to the weaving, but it feels very substantial and heavy.

--Andre

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i dont like the white dress shirt and black pants black shoes look.

if i had to wear that outfit i would at least pair it up with a pair of burgundy dress shoes.

i actually like the combo of light blue dress shirt and navy odd trouser. pair it up with a black or dark brown shoe.

9. Camiceria

Camiceria Member

I love wearing white shirts both formal and informal. I don't think there's anything giving you more clean and fresh look. I do agree on some of the comments though - it does depend on the colour of skin and hair and, not to forget, the way you treat your shirts.