• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't sleep at all...

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x15 on melatonin. It does not act like a common sleeping pill, as it is the naturally produced hormone that your body uses to put you to sleep. It WILL work wonders for you.

Otherwise, 'white noise', a completely dark room, and pretty cool air will put me to sleep fast.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just to break through an assumption here...
Most of the advice has ASSUMED THAT YOU ACTUALLY NEED A LOT OF SLEEP... this may simply not be the case. Most people need around 6-8 hours, some like me really need more lik 8-9 and there are people, the minority, but they do exist who simple only need around 2-3 or 3-5 hours to be just as awake and refreshed as those with 6-8...

so if you've chronically never slept much but still awoken feeling refreshed and have no negative effects on your daily life then those sleeping habits aren't a problem.

As for not sleeping at all, that could be related to something else going on but it doesn't really seem like much. Based on what you've said, it could just be the workout thing and it may take a few days or weeks to get into a rythm. I think it jump starts your body a little...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
x15 on melatonin. It does not act like a common sleeping pill, as it is the naturally produced hormone that your body uses to put you to sleep. It WILL work wonders for you.

It's never been that helpful to me. I don't doubt it has some subtle effects, but it's no sleep panacea, especially if your problems are related to anxiety.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
It's never been that helpful to me. I don't doubt it has some subtle effects, but it's no sleep panacea, especially if your problems are related to anxiety.

Did you take a proper dose? The dosage for each individual person varies a good bit, so you have to experiment a bit if a 'normal' dose doesn't do much to you. Some people naturally have to take more than others.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
I've had to do some research lately on a medical condition.
Found out that computer screen light inhibits melatonin production.
Rather than taking melatonin, the sugestion was to wear pink tinted glasses.

Paging iammatt.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Did you take a proper dose? The dosage for each individual person varies a good bit, so you have to experiment a bit if a 'normal' dose doesn't do much to you. Some people naturally have to take more than others.

Well I'd read that past a certain threshold, taking more won't have any added effect. I usually take 3 mg.

X-It

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
rivotril is great for sleep.

cantsleepzp2.jpg

Oh yeah?
eh.gif

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont get it (the use of that pic)

but yeah its been helping me out since ive been having sleep trouble for the past few months left over from anxiety and stress at my former job. only trouble is i think im hooked at this point, i never go to sleep without poppin one

X-It

Reaction score
I'm just kidding, Fade.

If I can't sleep, I drink a glass of hot milk with a teaspoon honey before going to bed.

Mauby

Reaction score
Try weightlifting in the late afternoon. Give your muscles a good workout. Your body will need rest to repair them. Almost guaranteed sleep. Add one shot Johnny Walker Black Label neat in a rocks glass at bedtime if working out isn't doing it.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by X-It
My daily habitual activities:

1. Wake up in the morning (say 08:00am)
2. Eat breakfast as soon as you wake up
3. Eat lunch around noon
4. Eat dinner
5. After winding down, go to sleep before midnight

REPEAT...
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by KBW
I eat 5 meals a day at the exact same time so doing things at a set time isn't a problem for me. I got about 5 hours of sleep last night and I feel really good. I think the change in my training has gotten my body a little messed up. I'm all alone in the office now and I swear I could pass out as I'm writing this but I get off in 30 minutes. In the past I've never had any trouble sleeping but at the same time I've never required in my entire life more than 4 or 5 hours to feel incredible when I wake up. When I used to take a nap at prep school I'd be up all night afterwards no matter what and I'd have to go to the gym and play basketball or workout out of respect for my roommate (light sleeper and he required a ton of sleep). The nightguard would always go searching for me thinking I was in the woods smoking weed or something and he'd always write me up but the school knew what I was doing and I couldn't get in trouble.

The reason I proposed the routine method is because that`s what worked for me. I had insomnia for a few years. During that time I was probably under a little stress (but nothing I felt myself) and I was rather busy with work. Also, I stayed up pretty late and even into the morning.

After I changed my routine to the above, I think I developed a more natural sleep pattern and I sleep like the baby I once was
smile.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with the melatonin as well, as if you need another confirmation. My brother can't sleep during full moons, and he takes it.

Secondly, I recommend taking kava kava, it's an herb remedy usually taken for anxiety, but very mild. It's actually a ground up root of a plant whose relative is black pepper. This might be a good adjunct to the melatonin.

These two things are very mild and not addictive.

rxcats

Reaction score
Many of you seem to like melatonin. It certainly doesn't hurt, but I think any hypnotic effect is mainly placebo. Even toddlers taking up to 25 tablets of the 3mg strength rarely have ANY effect from it. When I get calls regarding kids getting into the melatonin bottle, my first question is did they choke on it. If they didn't, no effect is expected.

I take generic Ambien (not the CR scam!). Notice how every time a drug looses it's patent, it is "improved" somehow by the drug company. Anyway, I take it anytime I am switching shifts and have to adjust my sleep cycle or if I just can't get to sleep. Just knowing it is in my medicine cabinet helps me sleep!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads