• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought 3 Tom Fords and I feel terrible about it.

intense2b

Reaction score
unbelragazzo
Dubiously Honored
It's not quite so simple as saying "just copy this suit." For example, here's a copy of a TF suit:

http://www.elitesuiting.com.au/blog/?p=612

http://www.styleforum.net/t/317184/elite-suits-official-affiliate-thread/150#post_6296274

I'm not a pro and maybe it's my untrained eye but the Tom Ford inspired suit by elite suiting from the photos Just doesn't seem to have the same cut as the Ford.

Maybe it's the triple canvassing of the Fords? But the jacket just does not seemed as formed or as shapely as the Ford.

I can't really put my finger on it but just from the photos the Ford seems to look better to me by quite a bit.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was the point.

Tom Ford makes Tom Ford, Huntsman makes Huntsman, Dave makes Dave. You can't expect Dave to make Huntsman, or Huntsman to make Tom Ford.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not a pro and maybe it's my untrained eye but the Tom Ford inspired suit by elite suiting from the photos Just doesn't seem to have the same cut as the Ford.

Maybe it's the triple canvassing of the Fords? But the jacket just does not seemed as formed or as shapely as the Ford.

I can't really put my finger on it but just from the photos the Ford seems to look better to me by quite a bit.

That was his point. He was trying to show you an example of someone trying to copy a TF suit

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty new at serious suit buying . Money is not an ssue for me and I bought three Tom Fords for almost 6k a piece.
So I have this horrible feeling that I blew a crap load for nothing.

If money's not an issue for you, then why do you feel like crap? Throw the suits away and go get some bespoke ones. #moremoneythansense.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Or not even close..., stick with your TF if you want TF. Try something else if you're open to something else.

intense2b

Reaction score
If money's not an issue for you, then why do you feel like crap? Throw the suits away and go get some bespoke ones. #moremoneythansense.

First of all I took that statement back somewhat . I wouldn't spend much more than 6k on a suit ( although I bought three for 18k and I'm going to have to pay for more tailoring ).

Secondly although I enjoy spending money on the best things in life , I do not particularly enjoy throwing money away.

There are far to many worthy causes and people in need for me to enjoy something like that and I would much rather give to them.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Whatever. .... Looks incredible !!!

So I have some Armani from the 90's ..,,, huge shoulder pads . Can they be saved?

Well, sort of. An alterations tailor will not be able to. Someone who actually makes suits start to finish would be able to do something with it, but most people who are able to do that would rather make a suit than alter one; I'm not sure you would find anyone willing to take that kind of a job on.

The linked to post was fantastic, especially for someone who is learning why one suit is of a better quality than another. I didn't notice a "best of" or "top" posts type post or "new to this blog see these posts" type on your site, is there one somewhere?

Thank you.
An interesting idea, not sure how I would do that on the blogger platform but I will have to look into it.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not quite so simple as saying "just copy this suit." For example, here's a copy of a TF suit:

http://www.elitesuiting.com.au/blog/?p=612

Yeah, that suit looks like ****.

I have no issue with the decision of the OP. I mean, other than the fact that he could have picked the suits up at a steep discount from the TF outlet. I may be going against the grain here, but it always puzzles me when I see people going bespoke when they have a body type that would easily allow them to buy OTR and have a skilled tailor do the rest. With OTR, there's much less risk involved. You know exactly what you're getting. This does not apply to men that have established relationships with bespoke tailors and have gone through a vetting process by having several suits cut by the same shop. Other than simply enjoying the idea and process of having a garment custom made for you (which, admittedly, is nice), I seriously question the ROI of the entire process in terms of fit and function vs. OTR. Look at the bespoke pics that are posted here, do you really need anymore evidence? I completely understand why guys with unusual body types go custom, simply because their proportions don't allow for a great fit OTR, but I bet more than half of bespoke customers end up paying for the concept more than the results.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, that suit looks like ****.

I have no issue with the decision of the OP. I mean, other than the fact that he could have picked the suits up at a steep discount from the TF outlet. I may be going against the grain here, but it always puzzles me when I see people going bespoke when they have a body type that would easily allow them to buy OTR and have a skilled tailor do the rest. With OTR, there's much less risk involved. You know exactly what you're getting. This does not apply to men that have established relationships with bespoke tailors and have gone through a vetting process by having several suits cut by the same shop. Other than simply enjoying the idea and process of having a garment custom made for you (which, admittedly, is nice), I seriously question the ROI of the entire process in terms of fit and function vs. OTR. Look at the bespoke pics that are posted here, do you really need anymore evidence? I completely understand why guys with unusual body types go custom, simply because their proportions don't allow for a great fit OTR, but I bet more than half of bespoke customers end up paying for the concept more than the results.

If he was lucky and found the ones he wanted in his size. You can't really just walk in there and expect them to have the inventory that their normal stores would

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you read the rest of this thread, gegarrenton? I don't have the energy to explain yet again why he is correct. If you don't know what you're talking about then please for the love of god, keep your trap shut.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the discussion now that half of bespoke clients end up dissatisfied, or that half of bespoke customers get a suit with less than stellar fit? :confused:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics