• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Tuxedo Advice Appreciated

mad dog

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope everyone is doing well.

My wedding is coming up in December and I am having trouble deciding where to get my tuxedo.

So far, I have looked into RLPL's MTM program, RTW Brioni ('Essential Policleto Tuxedo), and RTW Tom Ford (O'Conner Tuxedo). I was pretty set on going with RLPL's MTM program but after browsing through styleforum, fellow members have said that their suits/tuxedo's are no longer made by St. Andrew's and that Caruso's quality is not the same.

My preference for a tuxedo is something fuller fitting and not too tight like most Zegna's suits. I have considered going the Bespoke route, but here in California, there has not been a tailor I found that I liked. I would really appreciate any help and input. If there are any other brand suggestions that you guys might have, that would be great too. Please feel free to correct me if my information on RLPL is wrong. Thank you very much!

*** I am ashamed that my first thread is not one that can help the community's members. I will be sure to post input on which tuxedo manufacturer I go with in the future. Thank you.

papado

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope everyone is doing well.

My wedding is coming up in December and I am having trouble deciding where to get my tuxedo.

So far, I have looked into RLPL's MTM program, RTW Brioni ('Essential Policleto Tuxedo), and RTW Tom Ford (O'Conner Tuxedo). I was pretty set on going with RLPL's MTM program but after browsing through styleforum, fellow members have said that their suits/tuxedo's are no longer made by St. Andrew's and that Caruso's quality is not the same.

My preference for a tuxedo is something fuller fitting and not too tight like most Zegna's suits. I have considered going the Bespoke route, but here in California, there has not been a tailor I found that I liked. I would really appreciate any help and input. If there are any other brand suggestions that you guys might have, that would be great too. Please feel free to correct me if my information on RLPL is wrong. Thank you very much!

*** I am ashamed that my first thread is not one that can help the community's members. I will be sure to post input on which tuxedo manufacturer I go with in the future. Thank you.

Tom Ford is normally a closer fitting garment (also made in Zegna factories) so I don't think it's something you'd like silhouette wise. Brioni would generally be fuller fitting so I'd suggest that given the choices as even RLPL is not a 'full' cut even if MTM

philwongnz

Reaction score
I think Tom Ford in general are closer fitting with its cuts. But in saying that the Windsor for me is the best (I am lucky enough to own more than 20 TF suits and multiple blazers). It depends on the OP body type. If OP is triangle like me (I'm more a 39 drop 7/8) with broad shoulders. I coast around a 48 to a 50R with windsor depending on season (I even have 46 and they fit me).

My advice is try to it in the store. But unfortunately Windsor is not around any more and the closest is Wetherby (Base T). There are a few Windsor tuxedo floating around on eBay and VC as well.

mad dog

Reaction score
Tom Ford is normally a closer fitting garment (also made in Zegna factories) so I don't think it's something you'd like silhouette wise. Brioni would generally be fuller fitting so I'd suggest that given the choices as even RLPL is not a 'full' cut even if MTM

Thanks for your input papado. I am leaning towards the tuxedo from Brioni but will need to try it in person. I will keep you updated!

Edit: I don't have a Brioni boutique near me but there seems to be stores carrying their items. Would you suggest going directly to a boutique? Thank you.

mad dog

Reaction score
I think Tom Ford in general are closer fitting with its cuts. But in saying that the Windsor for me is the best (I am lucky enough to own more than 20 TF suits and multiple blazers). It depends on the OP body type. If OP is triangle like me (I'm more a 39 drop 7/8) with broad shoulders. I coast around a 48 to a 50R with windsor depending on season (I even have 46 and they fit me).

My advice is try to it in the store. But unfortunately Windsor is not around any more and the closest is Wetherby (Base T). There are a few Windsor tuxedo floating around on eBay and VC as well.

Hi Phil, thank you for the suggestion! I have broad shoulders and a thin waist like you.

In your experience, how different is it purchasing a TF suit/tuxedo online and getting it altered versus purchasing it in person and having it altered in store? Thank you.

philwongnz

Reaction score
I have a Savile Row trained tailor who does my alterations, so I'm pretty lucky. For anything that's needs finishing, I send it to Tom Ford (in live in London so I have 3 places to choose from including the TF Boutique) as TF for example has a certain way to finish their workable trousers cuff and the last button hole of the sleeve etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads