• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I’m so confused

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's not a bad deal, you can find much better on ebay, or at warehouse sales, but if you want a brand new suit with return policy it's not bad.

TomW

Reaction score
(alebrady @ 21 Oct. 2004, 12:24) i am wondering, in general, how the zegna, corneliani, boss, and armani shapes would be desribed
I have never experienced corneliani, so I cannot talk about it. zegna usually have softer padded shoulder and chest than Canali. Zegna's shoulder line is more slented than Canali. Canali's shoulders are real stright. I don't know why. But if you find fabric that drapes well, shoulders can look quite good. Boss, they used to make suits real boxy like canadian made suits, but I think they fixed that this season. New suits are very italian cut. Armani has the most room in shoulders. It creates very soft and round drapes all over. If you are muscular and have big shoulders, and do not mind fused suit, then Armani is for you.
I agree with everything MilanoStyle says except his comments regarding muscular shoulders and Armani. I have wide, muscular shoulders and a significant drop at 9-10 inches depending on the jacket and Armani never fits - if the shoulder is too wide for the chest and the end result is comical with a wide flaring skirt on the jacket. I think Armani only really looks good on terribly thin men or wider shouldered men with relatively shallow chests - if you're at all barrell chested, forget it. I personally prefer Zegna of the lines mentioned. the nicely sloped shoulder and light padding combined with a superb fit for my body shape are excellent. I think Canali is way to structured at the shoulder. I've no experience with the other makers listed.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Armano Colleziono

or

Versace Classic V2

or

Ermenegildo Zegna(?) Talk to me about this lable.

NP
I like Versace suits a lot - slim double-breasted suits in interesting pinstripe colors.

Armani Collezioni... there is another thread about this one.

Zegna - I love the shoulders on Zegna. Love love love. So militant, that I love it. Try one on, and if it looks good, sweet. They look great on me..

Personally I look awful in Canali (except Proposta) and Corneliani, as well as Oxxford, Kiton, and Brioni. Awful awful awful, so I cannot recommend them if you're looking for a designer fit.

Jil Sander, Helmut Lang, Costume National also make great fitting suits. In fact, Jil Sander is my favorite overall. Very slim, very forward, very cool. Also fully canvassed, so the designer-haters can at least not knock it on that base.

I think this is the most incoherent post I've ever made. Need...foood.

HeyYouItsMike

Reaction score
(MilanoStyle @ 21 Oct. 2004, 12:51)
Originally Posted by alebrady,21 Oct. 2004, 12:24
i am wondering, in general, how the zegna, corneliani, boss, and armani shapes would be desribed
I have never experienced corneliani, so I cannot talk about it. zegna usually have softer padded shoulder and chest than Canali. Â Zegna's shoulder line is more slented than Canali. Canali's shoulders are real stright. Â I don't know why. Â But if you find fabric that drapes well, shoulders can look quite good. Boss, they used to make suits real boxy like canadian made suits, but I think they fixed that this season. Â New suits are very italian cut. Armani has the most room in shoulders. Â It creates very soft and round drapes all over. Â If you are muscular and have big shoulders, and do not mind fused suit, then Armani is for you.
I agree with everything MilanoStyle says except his comments regarding muscular shoulders and Armani. I have wide, muscular shoulders and a significant drop at 9-10 inches depending on the jacket and Armani never fits - if the shoulder is too wide for the chest and the end result is comical with a wide flaring skirt on the jacket. I think Armani only really looks good on terribly thin men or wider shouldered men with relatively shallow chests - if you're at all barrell chested, forget it. Â
I agree with this 100% as I have pretty broad shoulders and a semi-barrel chest. I look like a member of Gotti's crew in Armani and most Italian suits. I should actually go to a store and try on some and take pictures so you people can laugh. I'm a 40R in most American suits, and many Italian suits in 42R are way too tight around my shoulders and chest. I did try on an Oxxford yesterday in 41R and it fit my body exactly, would have just needed to shorten the sleeves a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads