• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Both have a somewhat questionable legacy.
Have a look at what buisines that has lasted for some time (war time ...) That has not produced for the current regime ... I personaly find Boss lines more interesting than RL. Baldesarini was better than Purple & Black label, dont know Select yet. And think quality gas gone down after buyout ... My 2c

Siggy

Reaction score
I personally would not pay $700 for a Hugo Boss suit. What I've seen of their selection line did not impress. I'd look at alternatives like RLBL, RLBL, Corneliani, Canali, etc. etc. I would still buy a Hugo Boss suit if I really liked it, but generally wouldn't pay more than $350 or so.

Baldessarini is sold in Europe but is its own brand, no longer part of Hugo Boss.

Zandros

Reaction score

I do not think practices past should be considered. Why would a business change for the better, if there is no reward?

/Adrian

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate Hugo Boss mainline items, mainly because of the fit. I take a 38 and I find it to be far to boxy. That coupled with the mediocre construction and it is something I don't touch at any price.

The Hugo red line, however, fits me pretty much perfect OTR so that I can deal with. Again I wouldn't pay retail, but at a good discount Hugo Red is a great buy and great fit for me. Also, I see very little difference in quality between Hugo Red and Mainline.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For some reason, that doesn't bother me at all. Mercedes also has a history with the nazis, but I still like 'em.

---

I'm sure you can find suits out there with better quality like Canali and Zegna. The harder part is finding better quality suits with a similar fit in the same price range. I'm sure there are some great ones, but it narrows the field when you decide you don't want a boxy cut jacket don't want pants that have a rise that sits above the navel... even if it's canvassed.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score

Hardly something to hold against them. Such nice uniforms.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KlezmerBlues
Hardly something to hold against them. Such nice uniforms.
bounce2.gif
I am aware that many large German companies have unfortunate 3rd Reich associations. That doesn't mean I think Siemens, Volkswagen et al. should be shut down, just that I personally may stay away. Though it does seem Mr. Boss was rather more entrenched then the exucitives of these other firms. In the world of high fashion, which is largely about the vision of a designer, I would much rather endorse the vision of an artist like Yves St. Laurent then a "Nazi opportunist."

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am aware that many large German companies have unfortunate 3rd Reich associations. In the world of high fashion, which is largely about the vision of a designer, I would much rather endorse the vision of an artist like Yves St. Laurent then a "Nazi opportunist."
We can look upon things in our historical view. And judge from a personal standpoint. But I think it is more important to look at what you chose to associate with in our global economy at the present time. Look at US, GB, FR, Ger, AU, GR, Tur, SA, Chi ... companies and see opportunism flourish. And we can all chose / chose not to be pragmatic about it, that is a personal stand. I personally tend to shy away from companies driven buy financial corporations, and always try to find products from family or personal run companies. To me that is an added value. I also try not to get involved with companies that produce weapons for instance. But where do you draw the line. There might be a brilliant software company that create amazing modules of software, but implemented with others might support a weapons array ... As for claiming HB to be high fashion ... Its not exactly couture is it? Are you claiming you are NOT an opportunist?

Rachel Robinson

Reaction score
I bought the Hugo Boss men's jacket from the orange range, and after now coming to the point it could do with a good wash, after reading the care label I am wondering what an earth wet reduced means? I took it to the dry cleaners and they inform me it cannot be washed. After googling wet reduced I find this is a washing process called wet cleaning??? Who has heard of this wash process... wet cleaning???? Not even the dry cleaners have heard of it? Is there now a service for wet cleaners???? Then when reading the second label on the same garment, I notice how extremely poorly written it is, and in fact has been written twice??!! This is what it says on my label .....'This product has gone through a special finishing process to give it this special look wash this garment separately or with similar colours when it is new as the dye may fade onto other materials and upholstery wash this garment separately or with similar colours when it is new as the dye may fade onto other materials and upholstery.... spot the major error?? Special, is this the best word they could come up with and hence wrote it twice? Seriously £350 on a coat that to be quiet frank is pretty god damn average, the fur or whatever it is supposed to be looks like a manky cat now!! £350!!!.....any they haven't even been bothered to review weather their care label actually makes sense?? ...Then they want to try and be clever and modern by throwing in its need to be wet cleaned???!

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll just dump this here:

Discovered today my first suit ever from 10 years ago - Hugo by Hugo Boss ie the Red line - is a 70%wool/30% polyester(!) fabric. >:/

Checked the other two reds I own and they're polyester-free. Same goes for the Boss ie black I own (as one would expect). The more recent reds being fine might indicate that they knocked this off in recent years but kinda answers the question: red Hugo isn't just trim and youth and more trendy blah blah- it's cheaper.

*Interestingly the three reds were all made in Turkey vs Bulgaria and one Slovenia for all my Boss black. Kinda amusing to get an eye into the supply chain lol

Anyway you can feel the coarseness (what the hell did I know back then lol) and this puppy is obv now headed for goodwill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads