Hugo & Hugo Boss what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Woody0810, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Woody0810

Woody0810 New Member

Hi,
    I have just recently purchased a Hugo Boss 'Cary Grant' dinner jacket and have been informed that there are different quality variations of Hugo Boss.
    Can anyone explain please what the difference between Hugo Boss and Boss is, as I am confused.
    Also on looking on the iside of the suit jacket it has the Hugo Boss badge but also it states F. LLI CERRUTI DAL 1881, does this mean that Hugo Boss is connected to CERRUTI?

Please excuse my ignorance, I hope you can shed some light on the matter.

Many Thanks

Woody

2. BigHandMan

BigHandMan Senior member

Hi,
    I have just recently purchased a Hugo Boss 'Cary Grant' dinner jacket and have been informed that there are different quality variations of Hugo Boss.
    Can anyone explain please what the difference between Hugo Boss and Boss is, as I am confused.
    Also on looking on the iside of the suit jacket it has the Hugo Boss badge but also it states F. LLI CERRUTI DAL 1881, does this mean that Hugo Boss is connected to CERRUTI?

Please excuse my ignorance, I hope you can shed some light on the matter.

Many Thanks

Woody

Sounds like the jacket fabric is by Cerruti but the construction is by Hugo Boss. Boss has the "Hugo Boss" black label and the "Hugo" red label, among others. Hugo/Red tends to be more trendy - slimmer cuts, different fabrics, etc.

You'll find that most on this forum don't show a lot of love to their tailored clothing...

3. Woody0810

Woody0810 New Member

Thanks for the information!

Woody

4. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

Hugo/Red Label is a decent fit, i have 3 shirts and one suit from that line

5. manouche

manouche Senior member

Boss is for Bosses

6. Harry Lean

Harry Lean Senior member

Boss is for Bosses

lol

7. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Orange is casual
    Hugo/Red is youth oriented (lesser construction, trendier)
    Hugo Boss mainline (US maket may have this a Black?)
    Baldesarini /Selection upper end (suits by Caruso etc... )

Like most manufacturers they use fabrics from a wide variety of weawers.
    Yours has fabrics from Cerruti.

8. supercarl

supercarl Senior member

Orange is casual

There is also a Green sports line

9. supercarl

supercarl Senior member

p.s. construction on Hugo Boss suits is not the best - I unfortunately have a hugo (red label) - not good!

10. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

^ +10, obviously; though I wonder if at some point in the late 90s, the red label stuff was a bit more up-market. I have a (casual, I suppose) cotton suit with a denim look to it (though no such hand), very nice cut, totally natural, unpadded shoulders, slim lapels and -- get this -- fully canvassed. It's held up remarkably well, and I still wear it from time to time. My one black label suit is two years old and bubbly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a sports coat I bought recently, fairly cheap, in Europe (black label) -- the cut's very nice, not unlike RLBL but with less forceful shoulders, but the construction is nothing to write home about.

11. Siggy

Siggy Senior member

Orange is casual

I don't think the "selection" line is anything more than regular Hugo Boss with maybe a bit more do-dads. I was recently looking at some of their suits here in Germany (Boss is a German label) and they were still stiff fused-like jackets with unimpressive fabric for about EUR 500-600. My older regular Hugo Boss suit with Biella wool was nicer. Baldessarini is no longer associated with Boss but is its own brand with suits made by Caruso, many times better than Boss, but also more expensive.

12. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior member

I don't think the "selection" line is anything more than regular Hugo Boss with maybe a bit more do-dads.

To my knowledge, Selection is a half-canvas construction, though for the price it tends to run there are many better options in that range.

13. lauderdale75

lauderdale75 Member

Wow, what a great thread. I was actually looking at a Hugo Boss - Red Label suit that was highly recommended to me by the salesperson at Bloomingdales. The price point was slightly less than that of the Canali and the Zegna ($695 v. $800+). Bloomingdales is running a sale event on the 5th of September (spend $2,000, get 25% back). Given this forum's general malaise towards Red Label, is there another suit you'd recommend for a slimmer fit (I'm a 38R), in 2button style.

By the way, hello to all - this is my first post (of hopefully many to come).

14. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Both have a somewhat questionable legacy.

15. andyw

andyw Senior member

Wow, what a great thread. I was actually looking at a Hugo Boss - Red Label suit that was highly recommended to me by the salesperson at Bloomingdales. The price point was slightly less than that of the Canali and the Zegna ($695 v. $800+). Bloomingdales is running a sale event on the 5th of September (spend $2,000, get 25% back). Given this forum's general malaise towards Red Label, is there another suit you'd recommend for a slimmer fit (I'm a 38R), in 2button style.

By the way, hello to all - this is my first post (of hopefully many to come).

Ralph Lauren Black Label