• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tell ply's

cutter

Reaction score
Well, considering the Holland & Sherry 4 ply Airesco cloth was marketed 5 years ago, and is no longer in their collection, I trust you still have a sample of that cloth with which to have made your assessment.  I'm confident H&S would want to consult with you and tap into your vast expertise so as to avoid any further "misleading" cloth classifications.  
Grayson
I only pointed out that 4-ply is not an accurate term to describe 2x2 cloth.  Ply refers properly to individual yarns.

You are deliberately confusing these terms to suit whichever claim to happend to be making at a given moment.  First you cite 4-ply as a common term for 2x2.  It was pointed out that this is incorrect.  Then you cite H&S as evidence.  You were not claiming that the cloth had 4-ply yarns, only that H&S uses 4-ply to mean 2x2.  Now you want to claim that you meant 4-ply yarns all along.

That cloth has no 4-ply yarns.  The percentage of suiting cloth produced with 4-ply yarns is close to zero.

lisapop

Reaction score
That cloth has no 4-ply yarns. The percentage of suiting cloth produced with 4-ply yarns is close to zero

Well, I trust you will contact Holland & Sherry management at your earliest convenience, if not sooner, to advise them of your assessment of their cloth not being true 4 ply as advertised. I imagine your authoritative opinion as to H&S's credibility would be of immense import to the firm, with the future viability of the organization quite possibility hanging in the balance.
Grayson

cutter

Reaction score
maybe I misunderstood you. are you saying that cloth contains 4-ply yarn, or that H&S is using 4-ply to mean 2x2?

lisapop

Reaction score
Don't you think this debate is becoming a bit "immaterial"?  H&S has sold 4 ply cloth that was 4x4.  They stand by the claim that the weave is/was 4x4.  You dispute that claim.  I'd love to arbitrate the difference of opinion between H&S and you, but I need to return to my task at hand, which is cleaning the lint out of the turn-ups of my bespoke trousers.  

Should you like to pursue with Holland & Sherry your claim that they have been "misleading", I have provided contact information for H&S below.  I think I speak for the masses in saying we all await with great anticipation the outcome of your discussion with them...
Grayson

Holland & Sherry Ltd
PO Box 1
Venlaw Road
Peebles
EH45 8RN
Scotland
Tel: +44 (0)1721 720101
Fax: +44 (0)1721 722309

London Office & Showroom
9/10 Savile Row
London
W1S 3PF
Tel: +44 (0)20 7437 0404
Fax: +44 (0)20 7734 6110
E-mail (Topel)
E-mail (Lewis)

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I trust you will contact Holland & Sherry management at your earliest convenience, if not sooner, to advise them of your assessment of their cloth not being true 4 ply as advertised.  I imagine your authoritative opinion as to H&S's  credibility would be of immense import to the firm, with the future viability of the organization quite possibility hanging in the balance.
Grayson
I think I understand why you've been banned...

Luc.

cutter

Reaction score
Ok, so I guess you just mispoke earlier when you claimed that 4-ply means the same as 2x2. Don't sweat it; it happens to the best of us.

I did manage to find a sample of H&S cloth that they call 4-ply, and I untwisted both warp and weft, and it is 2x2. There are no 4-ply yarns. But it's not the same as the Airesco, and I can't find samples of that one. So you may be right about that one. If I am wrong, than I apologize to H&S.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Marc) I imagine your authoritative opinion as to H&S's credibility would be of immense import to the firm, with the future viability of the organization quite possibility hanging in the balance.
Rather than admit to a simple error, let us instead resort to the defense of sarcastic imbecility. What was that word, the rationale for which was challenged yesterday? Oh, yes: Lunatic.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Oh, what the hell.  I have seen worsted "Supers" with cashmere in which some or all of the cashmere yarns are 3- or 4-ply.  But at most, the cashmere makes up 10% of the cloth, and that's true only of cloth at the upper, upper end.  Usually, it's more like 1% or 2%.  A true 4x4, even in 100% wool, must cost a bloody fortune, like that crazy $#.+ Scabal makes with the diamond dust.  Or the 24k gold stripe.  Very ... classy ... yeah, that's the word ...

MCA

Reaction score
H&S is being misleading.  There are no 4-ply yarns in that cloth.  That is arguably more misleading than what shirtmakers do when they sell 2x1 shirts as "two-ply."  At least those shirts do have some two-ply yarn in them.
Hi cutter,

Do you happen to be a shirtmaker? You seem quite knowledgeable in the area.

Personally I find all  those yarn numbers misleading by themselves. They only tell a very small part of the story. I have seen 70x1/120x2 shirtings that blow away many 160 2x2s and beyond. The hand,  the "spring-back" quality, depth of color, weave, the finishing, and how the fabrics wear (not only how they look like when new), are the ultimate indicators of quality.  I wouldn't obsess so much over the numbers. Cheers.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(MCA) I have seen 70x1/120x2 shirtings that blow away many 160 2x2s and beyond.
Although I wouldn't go so far as to say that a 70/1 weft thread is going to blow away much of anything, your conceptual thesis is correct. Thicker yarns are quite often used in the texturing process. 80/2 is commonly used as one component of very fine oxfords, for example. However, when you cite a single-ply yarn as "blowing away" a two-ply yarn, your premise is false. Although the single ply yarn may have the two qualities you cite (resiliance and depth of color) ... and may even be serviceable for quite a number of washings ... it will certainly begin to pill at some point in its life ... and that point will be way short of the 2-ply yarn's life. That extreme detriment can be overcome only by plying the yarns. From what I read of this Cutter/Lisapop exchange, their disagreement has nothing to do with yarn numbers, but has to do with the definition of plying. Toward this end and in all of the textile trades, plying is the process of twisting multiple yarns together. What the marketing division does with this simple fact seems to vary all over the lot, and I believe that this was the correction Cutter was making to Lisapop and Holland & Sherry. By tradition, using two, two-ply yarns does not yield a cloth meant to be called "4-ply" even though there are technically 4 plies if you sum the number of individual yarns. There are also some very, very expensive 4 ply yarns which are proplerly called 4-ply. What should one call the resultant fabric made from a weft and warp of these 4-ply yarns? Eight ply? I think not.

lisapop

Reaction score
Who gives a "shirt", when all is said and done.
Grayson

MCA

Reaction score
Although I wouldn't go so far as to say that a 70/1 weft thread is going to blow away much of anything, your conceptual thesis is correct. Thicker yarns are quite often used in the texturing process. 80/2 is commonly used as one component of very fine oxfords, for example.

However, when you cite a single-ply yarn as "blowing away" a two-ply yarn, your premise is false.
Hi Alex,

I mistakenly used the term "yarn numbers" to include the correct technical term plus the number of plies. My error was due perhaps to my not caring too much about any such numbers, and rather focus on the overall picture.

I am no textile engineer but in my limited experience the resistance to pilling depends directly on the length and intrinsic quality of the individual fibers and on how the individual yarns are spinned, twisted, and treated, and not exclusively on the ply number. Usually makers who use 2 plies are more likely to use higher-grade, long-staple fibers, and more careful weaving practices. Hence the higher  pilling resistance. Again, maybe we are  focusing too much on the hard numbers. I'd choose my "humble" 70/1 above a good deal of 2x2s and 180s, but that is just my personal opinion, never "false" and quite honest, for what it's worth. Regards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads