• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why would someone stick out wearing classic clothing?

Last weekend my wife and I spent the day in the city capping it off with dinner. The weather was agreeable so I wore a blue sport coat with a pocket square, ivory chinos and bit loafers with a sock liner.

My wife was on a mission; find a very specific style skirt. We hit RL, Neiman’s and Saks. At each place, I was mistaken for a sales associate. Before that, I grabbed a cappuccino from the coffee bar and Nordstrom and the kid behind the counter asked for my employee number.

It didn’t necessarily bother me but I just thought how pathetic and some would see the wearing of a sport coat as meaning anything other than just trying to be presentable.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Why would someone stick out wearing classic clothing? Seems more likely that those who stick out are wearing decidedly non-classic clothing.

well, if you are wearing classic menswear then those with trained eyes might think you are new to wearing clothes.

the key is to wear sneakers with your suits and sometimes army pants with a blue blazer so people know you have a good grasp of historical context and won’t think you are new to wearing clothes.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
There is nothing conservative about that atrocious pocket square with decorative stitching (?) along the edges. The rest is hard to argue with and I doubt DWW would take issue with it, except perhaps for the boxy cut of the suit and the fake pick-stitching along the lapels (just an informed guess).

I mean, the guy I posted a picture of is the head of house at huntsman nyc. I assume his pick stitching is legit, and I assume a pretty good tailor decided on the boxy cut. Regarding the pocket square, I prefer a more conservative fold but it’s better than a lot of other options we see.

But DWW is always riding against that traditional conservative business look. Posting pictures of more casual suit fabrics and shoes like derbies or suede shoes to make the outfit less formal. Then approved of guys who are ripping off outfit ideas from Justin beiber.

I don’t think the sneakers with suits is a hard no. For some, they can pull it off. But for a lot of people, due to their build/appearance, environment, station in life and need for the outfit, really should be going more like the look that DWW is always calling aesthetically unpleasant or saying looks like somebody who just started wearing clothes.
the Justin beiber look can work for some, but there are a lot of people who should avoid it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fwiw I think those are both good looks. By sheer coincidence, here I am in a grey linen suit and white canvas trainers, just a couple of weeks ago (shirt is a linen jersey polo):

View attachment 1673132

(That cafe is in the centre of Amsterdam, and tbh I think I stood out a bit. Maybe not too much. Not sure.)

BTW, who made this suit? I noticed it has a frogmouth lapel.

And what's the watch?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a few of Boateng's "Bespoke/Couture" shirts. They are all in purples. Got them a while back

It was that trip that on the way home I went via Schiphol. While there I heard "Accra passenger Boateng, Mr. Oswald Boateng" paged to a flight on ... was it the F concourse? I wondered if I'd see him when there he was. Couldn't have missed him at 100 paces with one eye tied behind my back. He was wearing a coat the same color as one of my shirts. He looked -- as Flying Monkey says about his look -- fabulous.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your story, you stuck out wearing CM. Not sure if you were exaggerating but you mentioned being mistaken for a sales associate at each store and that most likely wouldn’t be the case in more casual wear.

I’ve never been mistaken for a salesperson when wearing CM.

well Good for you.

and I wasn’t exaggerating. And I’ll posit the same question; why would someone’s necessarily stick out wearing classic men’s clothing.

I’m really not sure what my experience has to with it.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re wearing a yellow suit or the equivalent, you’re announcing to the world that you’re either a clown or an extreme badass. It’s highly unlikely you are actually the latter so everyone will understand you to be the former

or apparently a sales associate. At least the way some see it.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some guys dress CM but for some reason fall short:
621661_orig.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Neiman Marcus customer: Excuse me, do you have this in a size medium?

Phileas Fogg: Why would someone stick out wearing classic clothing? Huh? Why would someone stick out? Apparently tailored clothing supposedly makes you look like a sales associate now? Not that I'm bothered by it. The only people who matter here are me and my wife. I just think it's pathetic that some would see the wearing of a spor-- [voice trails off]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads