• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress in college??

nyuhopeful

Reaction score
Alright so through your high school ive dressed better than the normal person but not really amazing. I usually wear a sweater, cardigans, etc. When I get to college, what should I start wearing? I was thinking of a shirt tie sweater combo with jeans and sneakers. Do you think the tie would be too much?

bearsfan172

Reaction score
I don't know anyone that wears a tie in college unless its for a specific "dress up" event. A lot of this depends on what types of things you're going to be doing. If you're a business major, khakis and a sweater to class would be appropriate. If not, jeans would probably fit in better. If you join a fraternity you will likely have a lot more occasions to dress up than if you don't. A navy blazer is a staple for any fraternity man.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Ah. NYU is a bit of a different story. One of my friends went there and I think that dressing nicer is more of the standard. I know she wears heels to class which would be borderline comical in the midwest where I went to school.

nyuhopeful

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Location does matter. So wgat do you think of that combo? I don't like dressing like a bum at all and want to dress nice.

jt10000

Reaction score
I don't see a tie being appropriate for an undergraduate student in any college in the US except at a special event, such as a presentation at a conference, a job/internship interview, or some social event with professors. Not for regular class and not for hanging out. I guess it sort of could be used as a sort of costume saying "I'm dressed up." Which isn't really a style thing.

If you want to look put together - dress slacks or nice khakis or corduroys or nice jeans, dress shirt, nice shoes. Maybe a cardigan, maybe a pullover sweater, maybe a blazer. Belt. No tie.

The outfit in the link would be fine with no tie. To me it looks a little too matchy with the purple details (yes, I know that's an NYU color). Like you're trying too hard. I guess w/o the tie it'd be better.

I'm speaking as someone who went to an urban Ivy league school for undergrad, another urban Ivy league school for grad school, had an internship at a third urban Ivy league school, and has been on campus at NYU a few times. I think things are less formal in most other parts of the US.

EDIT - if you really like ties, I think you could wear one at a campus job, such as in a library job or as a receptionist somewhere, and perhaps on dates or something. Ties are cool. They're just a bit much for college.

Last edited:

nyuhopeful

Reaction score
I always felt like that most people dress nice in nyu with ties mostly die to the fact that it's in New York City. So ties would be too much? And what should I wear under a cardigan? I usually just wear a plain white vneck

Mr Martini

Reaction score
Why are you so focused on one outfit? You cant wear it everyday and it wouldnt be ideal for summer either. If you do............

Alan K C

Reaction score
Hello nyuhopeful,

Welcome to the NYU family. There are many well dressed individuals in NYU, from freshman to PHD and even some Faculty. So don't worry too much in how you dress. But if you are going with shirt, tie, sweater combo with jeans and sneakers (like that picture), then I think you already dress better than most freshman. I dress preppy with causal. Anyway, your style is a form of self expression, so dress how ever you want.

jt10000

Reaction score
I always felt like that most people dress nice in nyu with ties mostly die to the fact that it's in New York City. So ties would be too much? And what should I wear under a cardigan? I usually just wear a plain white vneck

Maybe I'm wrong about the ties - I haven't been in a class at NYU. But just go with stuff like in your picture (many outfits - at least 4-5 dress shirts, 2-4 pants, 2-3 sweaters and a couple pairs of shoes. So you have a bunch of combinations. Maybe a couple polo shirts.

If you see other kids with ties, add them - that's easy. I wouldn't wear one the first few days at school. It'll also be hot in NYC in September.

nyuhopeful

Reaction score
That makes sense. I'm taking classes in the summer so what do you think I should wear the first day there?

gambit50

Reaction score
You plan on going to NYU or you were accepted and you are attending?
Either way, besides looking decent at an interview, how you dress at university does not matter.
And whoever said MOST people wear ties there is......wrong.
I have been around the general population at the school in my youth and far beyond. It is not a huge deal.
And 'business' school for undergrad is mostly a joke. Worrying about how you dress there is the problem. Instead,worry about how
to properly make decisions or not screw up. Perhaps even learn an actual skill besides tossing around jargon.
Pre-med is not a major, at least I hope not. It is just a list of courses(not very extensive) required by medical school. A major should be more specific and in depth.
But who knows in these days of watered down education.
Girls in heels? Sure. There are poshes.And fashionistas are a welcome site. Nobody needs overweight young birds slobbing around. NYU has a very wide range of backgrounds and styles. Very wealthy to working class, foreigners to local borough dwellers.

If you want to dress nicely, great. Figuring out your style, also great. And you can vary it. But if you dress like a slob and ace your classes, you will be much better off in attempts at post graduate studies than spending your time thinking you are doing the job because you wore a tie with sneakers.

Plus, if you attend, you will be exposed to all types of high style, especially venturing around downtown and Brooklyn.

jt10000

Reaction score
That makes sense. I'm taking classes in the summer so what do you think I should wear the first day there?

Clothes like I described or like in the picture you posted, but without the sweater (and tie). Though perhaps the sweater would be OK if it's air-conditioned inside.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got an MBA at NYU, and saw the occasional undergrad around. If there was a tie in the bunch, I didn't see any.

In fact, standard was jeans, hoodie, and some converse.

The tie would have to be worn very casually and almost sarcastically to not appear an affectation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads