How to dress in college??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nyuhopeful, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Scbrown

Scbrown Senior member

Having a western business attire dress code in highschool, I can say it has influenced my style in college. I am a student at Wash U in the midwest, I still wear a jacket and tie to class most days. Alot of my professors appreciate it, students don't really care, as long as its your normal style and they see your not just trying to hard.

Most of all, figure out your style and do you!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I've got to disagree with this, at least partly. As an undergrad business major at NYU, I saw a decent number of students in ties. This is more common among upperclassmen, however, who were going to and from internships. People who regularly dressed up for class without having an internship, interview or presentation, however, were a minority.

OP: You have a decent amount of freedom here at a place like NYU. I personally would not wear a tie everyday if I did not have somewhere to go. Plus, I think jeans and a tie together looks weird, especially with sneakers. So I'd ditch the tie most days. Get yourself a decent solid charcoal or navy suit (job interviews and any formals you get invited to), a navy blazer and maybe one other sport coat. Don't wear them everyday. I dislike jeans, but most kids are wearing them, so if they're your thing, go for it. In your shoes, I'd wear jeans most days, polos during the warmer weather and sweaters during cooler weather, and mix in the occasional dress shirt if you want to take it up a notch. Have a few decent ties but wear them a bit more sparingly. You sound like you're going for the nicely dressed college kid look, which is different from the nicely dressed young professional look.

Also, don't underrate a nice shoe's ability to make you look better. Jeans with a nice sweater or polo will be at least a step ahead of most kids without being too blatant. Sometimes in college, less is more. The shoes can help bridge the gap. Either loafers or more casual dress shoes, depending on your tastes, will give you a more polished look than sneakers.

Lastly, don't think too hard about it. The fact that you care about dressing nicely and pay attention to these things is enough to put you far ahead of most of your peers. .

3. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

The best thing about college is that you really can wear whatever the fuck you want. You want to wear a suit? Go for it. Nobody will give a shit, and if they do, fuck 'em.

4. Scbrown

Scbrown Senior member

^^^^ This

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

This is fine in theory if the OP has the complete confidence needed to pull something like that off and not give a crap what anyone thinks. If OP wants to find a way to dress nicely and cares what people think enough to not want to stick out too much, this really doesn't work. While it's not always the case, most people who are asking on an online forum what they should wear do not have the sort of FU confidence required to pull off wearing a suit everyday to classes where people are showing up in sweatpants / jeans. If you / OP have this confidence, more power to you / him. Otherwise...

6. Scbrown

Scbrown Senior member

I certainly understand this point of view. I would say that if this is the case, try a variation with more casual yet refined styles. Adding dressier casual footwear and more buttoned-up and collared shirts is a good way to do this.

7. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

Oh. Yeah, it helps to realize that everyone who disagrees with you is an inferior, subhuman wretch who just doesn't understand how awesome you are.

Or to just be okay with being thought of as a little odd. Whichever. [​IMG]

8. Andrew Viny

Andrew Viny Member

It's all about your personal style man. If you want to wear a tie every day you can. I think its about consistency. If you wear sweats one day and a shirt and tie the next it will look like you're dressing up but if you dress well every day then that will be your look. I think the look you posted seems kind of formal. A knit tie or a sweater with a little more texture will dress it down a bit. I go to Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh is a real working class town. People dress pretty casually. I often wear a brown birdseye jacket (LBM 1911 unconstructed, soft shoulders, patch pockets) with a purple and brown new england shirt co shirt and a rough chocolate skinny wool tie, The jacket and tie are formal articles of clothing but the fabrics are more casual. I like dressing slightly more formally than most people but I think it sets me apart in a good way. At the end of the day you have to decide what your style is and just go with it. Wear what makes you feel comfortable, wear what makes you feel powerful.

~Andrew

9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Here's how life works: you can do whatever you want as long as you can handle the consequences. So, you can wear whatever you want as long as you don't mind running a risk of being "that guy."

That said, my recollection of NYU (a few college visits and an evening or two hanging out with friends) is that most of the kids dressed at the hip end of the J. Crew-type look -- so slim, dark jeans, collared casual shirts, sweaters, and simple sneakers or maybe leather shoes. If I were buying clothes to fit in, that's what I would suggest.

A better idea would be to start into things wearing what you normally wear, then head up to Uniqlo once you've gotten a feel for the environment. I found what I actually wore my first few months of school were very different from what I had expected and shopped for. Also, it doesn't take a lot of remove to end up thinking you were a bit foolish freshman year -- I think I did dumb stuff with clothes and dumber stuff with girls, and it's only my sophomore year. Be flexible.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

This is interesting to me because I am going back to school. I'm in my mid 30s and I have worked in a particular industry for many years, however I feel that it's time to pursue a dream of mine to get into education and become a teacher. I can tell you this however, I am at a point in my life where I feel like I know who I am and I gives a damn if someone doesn't like it. Because of that when I hit the books again I will dress how I always do when in a casual setting. I'm already going to be the old guy, so I might as well not be the old guy who dresses like a kid. Just be yourself, within reason of course. If you are consistent and confident then people will adjust to it.

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

Jeans, t-shorts, trainers and hoodies. Don't even think of trying to stand out from your peers. That will be bad for you. When you graduate things change but only when you do.

12. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

Everyone in first year tries to outdress everyone else.

By the time they get to 4th year, you can't tell whether they're students or homeless.

The point is don't try to stand out by dressing fancy. Just make sure your hygiene and hair are good, your shoes are nice and clean, and your clothes fit your body shape. That's all you need as an undergrad, in my opinion.

Don't drop a ton of money on clothes now because you likely will change your style in a few years. Oh, and a nice non-flashy watch (perhaps one on a leather bracelet and one on steel) will help complete your outfit.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

13. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

This is a really good approach. NYC is a great place to buy clothes, so there's not need to stock up in advance.

14. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

That very well could be. I went to b-school at night, so there were not a lot of undergrads running around.

15. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

Again, I would argue that if there's a kind of clothing you really like, college is a great time to wear it, be that lederhosen or be that morning dress -- but only if you don't care what random strangers think of you.