• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress in college??

Alan K C

Reaction score
Tie is not a requirement for the work I do. So I do not wear a tie much but I do keep a preppy casual look. I only attend classes at NYU once a week, but since I live near Union Square, I could tell you the style you described aren't that of a big deal. As you progress through your college years, you will most likely meet and hang out with those who have a similar style or taste as you. But since you are coming in as a freshman, the way you dress will give you the first impression points. Your grades will then help you maintaining those points. Freshman in NYU can be very superficial... just be yourself.

flatspotting

Reaction score
The best thing about college is that you really can wear whatever the **** you want. You want to wear a suit? Go for it. Nobody will give a ****, and if they do, **** 'em.
QFT

This man knows - just dress how you want to dress.

VanRitz

Reaction score
I'm a current junior in Boulder, Colorado. Like some others have said above, you can literally wear whatever you want, college is a more appropriate time than ever to do so. Out here, we have a mix of dirty hippie, hilariously overdone stereotypical frat, girls in sweatpants and uggs, and hipsters.

Find what suits you best. I have found my happy place to be a sort of "smart casual". Here's my usual getup:

Tops: Buttondown shirts in staple colors & patterns like white, blue, gingam, etc. For dressing down a bit, I wear henleys, white or grey t-shirts, thin sweaters, polo shirts, rugby shirts.

Outerwear: Harrington jackets, thicker sweaters (variety of necks including crew, v, and shawl), peacoats even though they are overplayed, camel duffle coat, barbour jackets, etc.

Bottoms: Usually just dark denim, chinos, corduroy, etc. Pressed, dressy trousers only for nicer occasions like dinners, dances, special evening events, etc.

Shoes: Plain white canvas sneakers, loafers, boat shoes, chukka boots, brown bluchers, some suede, and some nice leather fall/winter boots. Got Sorels for when its really snowy.

It's what most people my age consider well dressed, without coming across as "dadcore", dressing like an old man, dressing "too nice" ("why are you so dressed up?"), looking creepy like kids in trenchcoats over a black suit with a fedora, etc. I get a lot of inspiration from fall/winter casual americana style collections. Preppy stuff is also a pretty good start, once you get rid of the excessive "go to hell" pieces and go with more classic staples.

Here's an article that you might enjoy as well: http://putthison.com/post/34234663655/style-for-college-students-theres-no-kind-way-to
Cheers.

Last edited:

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a current junior in Boulder, Colorado. Out here, we have a mix of dirty hippie, hilariously overdone stereotypical frat, girls in sweatpants and uggs, and hipsters.

You forgot trustafarian. And yes, I went to school there.

Last edited:

MSchott

Reaction score
Personally I cannot understand why you'd want to dress that formally when you don't have to. I wear a shirt and tie 4 days/week at work (no jacket) and dress well but IMO wearing a tie is not comfortable even if your clothes fit correctly. Today (Friday) is business casual and I am wearing jeans, a henley sweater and casual shoes. NYU may be preppier than some but if it were me I'd never wear anything but jeans or khakis, tee shirts, sweaters, hoodies and the like. Tennis shoes, boots and the like are much more comfortable than the best fitting dress shoes plus the fact that you will be outside walking from class to class in all kinds of weather.

You obviously like to dress well which is great so I would recommend you trend towards preppy meaning nice cotton slacks, quality sweaters and button down casual shirts and polos. A good leather jacket is invaluable as is a good raincoat.

jshastings

Reaction score
I can't speak to the culture at NYU (though the times I visited it was little hipster...) but I know at my school it would be very odd to see someone wear a tie to class. That said, I think kids at my school tend to dress better than the average college student. For reference, the average guy here wears an OCBD, chinos, topsiders and a barbour to class. When it gets cold, guys sometimes wear a sweater and a down parka. That said, that may not be the norm at your school, but honestly it doesn't matter. Wear whatever you want. I will say though, from my perspective, I wouldn't want to look like I was trying too hard with the yuppie thing (e.g. tie and sweater to class) and I'm generally opposed to ties and jeans together.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads