• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to break in printed T-Shirts

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In before the standard "Just wear it, phaggot noob".

Some companies make super soft vintage T's that are new. Is there a good at-home process to break in standard (non-sf approved) printed T's without having to wear them ALL the time just to get it to a good point? (Think sports team shirts)

I read an article in Maxim a while ago about this and I currently do the sandpaper over the printed areas to break down the thickness of the silk screen, but dont remember the rest (something about baking soda I think in the wash to soften the fabric??)

Anyone have general tips on breaking cotton T's in faster to promote softness (specific washer/dryer temps, detergents, etc...).

centrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19

I read an article in Maxim a while ago

seriously?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wash them frequently with hot water, soak them in hot water, dry them/hang them in the sun every chance you get, basically speed up the process in every way you possibly can. Sandpaper will probably do more to ruin the garment than give you the effect you are looking for (even just over the print, it's grinding the fabric like a cheese grater).

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is kind of a silly thread.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No sillier than the all too common 'wut do I do fer awsum fadez', the whole raw denim thing is just as goofy to me.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by centrix
seriously?

Uh...yea? Is it that hard to believe that not everyone on here ONLY reads GQ and Vanity Fair?

Originally Posted by Robert
This is kind of a silly thread.

Everyone knows that NOTHING is more comfortable than a nice, broken in t-shirt. The title CLEARLY tells you what Im asking - if you think its silly then dont read it.

Originally Posted by chowchow
i have heard that sodium carbonate (baking powder) actually works.

Do you know what the process is then? Was it adding to the wash or something like that? I vaguely remember reading about this but never thought much of it til now - when I actually have a new shirt that I dont want to look brand, cripsy new.

fueledbynewjersey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
I pay a 12 year old Ethiopian boy to wear my shirts for a few years before wearing. Rice is strong currency right now.

lmfao. i thought i was the only one. haha but idk i would suggest just washing it repeatedly

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
I pay a 12 year old Ethiopian boy to wear my shirts for a few years before wearing. Rice is strong currency right now.

i usually wear a L - there is no way anythign bigger than a small will fit an ethiopian

Maybe Ill give it to ghulkan and let him sweat the screen printing out (but then the smell...
ffffuuuu.gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics