• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to break in printed T-Shirts

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
beat me to it!

burying clothing is the best aging process, just not too long.

I dont want it to look like ****. I want it to be new just look worn in. FOR INSTANCE:

See how this shirt is BRAND NEW but looks soft, lived in...loved. The print job looks is and well worn in.

41N8sNPmXcL.jpg

Then I see these shirts all the time. The printing is super thick and the t-shirt material is thick and not comfy. I want to artifically make this into ^^^ Get it?

Ethiershirt.jpg

a-rock

Reaction score
Dunk in some hot water and then throw it in the dryer with a bunch of rocks. Then take outside, hand on clothesline, and beat it with a stick. At this point, your wife should be properly beaten into submission. Ask her to wash your t-shirt with baking soda.

mrtophat

Reaction score
there might be something to hang drying in the sun. I had to do this for about a year when I lived abroad and the shirts that I brought with me ended up super soft compared to the ones I had left back home. I can't say for sure what it was, but something I did really broke them in nicely.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I dont want it to look like ****. I want it to be new just look worn in. FOR INSTANCE:

See how this shirt is BRAND NEW but looks soft, lived in...loved. The print job looks is and well worn in.

41N8sNPmXcL.jpg

Then I see these shirts all the time. The printing is super thick and the t-shirt material is thick and not comfy. I want to artifically make this into ^^^ Get it?

Ethiershirt.jpg

Why not just buy what you want in the first place?

That bottom t-shirt is like $8. The thick, velvety print is horrible and just cracks with time.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Why not just buy what you want in the first place?

That bottom t-shirt is like $8. The thick, velvety print is horrible and just cracks with time.

Jesus dude, your missing the point -- these are examples, NOT what I have in mind.

The shirt I WANT does not come with the distressed/worn look as an option. Furthermore, the broken in shirts are substantially more off the rack . The only thing the design I like comes in is the starched thick printed silk screen crap so I have to make due.

I really thought someone woulda had a good answer by like post 6 as Im sure Im not the only guy who wants to go to a sports game or something and not look like a total 40 year old dad who JUST bought the shirt....

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tahonng
Try this article.

BTW, I heard on a tv show a long time ago that soaking in a really diluted bleach+water solution would make a new shirt look more worn. But I don't know how much bleach to how much water.

HA!!! Thats its BROSKI - you the man!

EXACTLY the article I remember. Im gonna try this and report my findings.... unless then, we should probably sticky this forever
inlove.gif

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
HA!!! Thats its BROSKI - you the man!

EXACTLY the article I remember. Im gonna try this and report my findings.... unless then, we should probably sticky this forever
inlove.gif

No.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
while wet, whip it against a stone surface

cthip

Reaction score
from the above article:

To create a vintage T-shirt, start by mixing together the washing soda and salt. "The salt acts as an abrasive, making the shirt look older,"
and:

Set the machine on the highest temperature.
but they seem to have forgotten that hot water dissolves the salt rendering it completely NON-ABRASIVE

idiots.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cthip
but they seem to have forgotten that hot water dissolves the salt rendering it completely NON-ABRASIVE

idiots.

DA FUK??? You think YOU know science better than the Bros at Mens Health?!?!?!

ffffuuuu.gif

Think again.

This will work and when you see my pics your mind will be BLOWN.

(Now I just gotta find washing soda
facepalm.gif
)

tahonng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cthip

Was thinking something along those lines as well. If it were me, I'd use coarse sea salt and washing soda apply it directly onto the shirt, roll the shirt up, salted side in, put that in the wash. Hopefully, there'll be some abrading action before the salt and soda dissolve in the water.

Maybe the chlorine in the salt + the water forms a really mild form of hyrdochloric acid...?

Anyway, good luck, OP, and please post pics of the shirt/s. I'm curious about the results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics