• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much is too scuffed?

piff

Reaction score
Good afternoon. I've been looking around SF casually for a couple weeks now. It's a neat place.

I have a question about a pair of shoes I saw at a local thrift store. They're Allen Edwards, but are pretty severely scuffed. Now, I don't wear nice shoes for a living, so I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding when something can be salvaged, and when it's time to look elsewhere.

This pair has what seems like excessive scuffing, but I can't tell if it's due to neglect from their last owners or from being shipped in a box of dozens of shoes. They don't appear to be gouged or anything, but they've been what looks like fairly well used, and have creases as well.

So, is this pair beyond hope?

Thanks and regards.

(Sorry for the cell pic. It truly is a bad one.)

piff

Reaction score
Sorry. Posted the wrong pic. Sometimes they come out small on the camera.

Regards.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If these are intended to be a casual pair of shoes, say for jeans or khakis, then you can make them work. If you want to wear these with a pair of wool pants and crisp clean shirt, then I say they are too scuffed. If its the former and these AE's are less than $10 bucks, you can't really lose. Buy them and clean them up a bit.

Apply a coat of shoe polish, let it sit for a few minutes, then buff with a horse brush. Repeat 3 times and then post pics. Would be interested to see how they turn out. Good luck and welcome to SF!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just polish them. Your pics are crappy, but unless the damage is much worse then it appears to be, that's exactly the kind of thing that polishing is intended to clean up.

Also, it's Allen Edmonds.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They may be corrected grain/binder leather in which case the scuffing cannot be remedied easily or at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads