• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you $ on a Dress Shirt?

hermes man

Reaction score
i normally spend around 500$usd each (After discount they cost more before sale here..) (mostly are Giorgio Armani and 1 Gucci) ( but it could be cheaper in your place since my country has stupidly ridiculous boutique markups)

i want to get a dress shirt from Ermenegildo Zegna in the future if I have extra cash... right now i am keeping my money for something else...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If TM Lewin fit you and you can find your size, you can get excellent quality shirts for $35. It's not as much fun as picking through swatch books and drinking scotch with NY's favorite shirtmaker (TM), but you cannot beat the price.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wont find me splashing $300 plus on Charvet, Lanvin, or Turnbull and Asser. Great shirts, but hardly ever on sale. The most I ever paid for a shirt last 2 years was $220 for a Dior Homme when I was in France. I do not know why I bought it - quality was not that great but the design was sure interesting.

Usually I spend no more than $150 on a single dress shirt. I do not follow brands or any specific MTM, I just go by the hypothesis if I like it, I like it. I am not an Ad Hoc buyer, so you are not likely to see me bidding last 10secs on an eBay auction to pull off a name brand shirt. I do like quality stuff though!

The most expensive shirt I ever bought - $420 but that was a Bespoke one with Horn buttons. I loved that shirt, but it did not love me back and ended up getting a nasty ink stain I could never remove.

bjornb17

Reaction score
about $36 to $50 on non-iron slim fit shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt. Very high quality product for the price range.

Sixers_610

Reaction score
I scour the clearance sections on TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt. I hate spending more than $40 on a shirt. Between potential for permanent stains, getting rips at the elbow, I feel like they have a fairly short life.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently wear H&K shirts, which are currently on sale, 3 for $234 Australian plus postage still a better quality buy than I would get here.

cthip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
If TM Lewin fit you and you can find your size, you can get excellent quality shirts for $35. It's not as much fun as picking through swatch books and drinking scotch with NY's favorite shirtmaker (TM), but you cannot beat the price.

this plus $10-$15 at a good tailor yields a shirt that is nearly impossible to beat for $50

sadly, i don't see their sales dipping down into that low price range anymore. also i've realized their collars are somewhat out-of-proportion with the small-ish knots that my slim ties make

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bottom line, do y'all think $150 for a bespoke shirt is too much? I've never spent that much on a shirt...

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
Bottom line, do y'all think $150 for a bespoke shirt is too much? I've never spent that much on a shirt...

That's pretty standard for entry-level MTM through a tailor.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many wears do most of you get from your shirts? I try to keep my costs under $100 each b/c I have issues w/ collar stain and wear usually and end up tossing my shirts after 25-30 wears, which is why I cringe at spending more on them.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tier 1 shirts: $150 (maybe a bit higher depending on fabric) for bespoke from Chan
My tier 2 shirts: $50-60 for RTW (BB Non-Iron on sale or Polo Ralph Lauren on sale)

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
How many wears do most of you get from your shirts? I try to keep my costs under $100 each b/c I have issues w/ collar stain and wear usually and end up tossing my shirts after 25-30 wears, which is why I cringe at spending more on them.

I still have and frequently wear the first shirts I got from CEGO three years ago. It is hard to estimate number of wears, but at least one of them has been worn well north of 30 times and still looks great. I think if you buy decent shirts and keep them away from the dry cleaner you should be able to get way more than 25 wears out of them.

I suspect you could do some things differently with respect to washing your shirts (and perhaps your neck) to prevent this problem.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rsstore10
For me, It totally depends on time.

In traveling time about 60-70$.

In celebration time about 100$.

And about 30-40$ for daily use.

Thank you. I have no idea what this means.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Holy ****, some of you guys spend a lot of money on some shirts
wow.gif

Spending as much as $500 for a SHIRT???
ffffuuuu.gif

I spend $35-$40 a shirt from TM Lewin + $16/per shirt for tailoring. Hasn't failed me yet
laugh.gif

myke

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads