• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much color variation is acceptible between shoe and belt?

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
That's what you think.

No. Buy a shoe, buy a belt or at least have one already that matches. If he came on here to ask, it's for a reason. Anyone who thought otherwise would not have started a thread. Think.

Period.

On the one hand, on an absolute level I disagree with you and on on the other hand, what you say is totally true. If you're posting a thread to ask if your belt is ok then you almost certainly should just go and buy a matching belt.

illeagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
Listen, as long as you separate really light browns, browns, and blacks, you should be fine.

racist

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies...I ended up wearing a belt in a lighter shade of brown...I just put on that belt this morning thinking I was going to wear a darker pair of shoes and thought it looked like it might be okay...I just wanted a second opinion.

I personally did not think the first belt was too dress with jeans just too dark with those shoes.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wear ANYTHING but a perfect color match. Literally, anything will be better - white, black, pink.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Black = match.

For browns, tans, etc., I like a darker belt when I wear darker trousers. I think a light to dark contrast is okay at the level of my foot, but looks awful at my waist. If I wear lighter colored shoes with a navy or medium to dark grey suit, I wear braces or skip the belt.

And, again, denim + bals makes me grimace.

Aperipan

Reaction score
OP,

what brand of shoes and belt are you wearing? I like the shoes.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Wear ANYTHING but a perfect color match. Literally, anything will be better - white, black, pink.

G, too early. He clearly isn't at this level yet, thus the thread.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread too much but how much do you guys follow the suede to suede, calf to calf rule?

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Not to hijack this thread too much but how much do you guys follow the suede to suede, calf to calf rule?

Not at all.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illeagle
racist

If there is one thing I have learned from Calculus, it is that integration is over-rated.

That said, I personally find an exact match between belt and shoes to be almost as contrived as a matching tie/pocket square set.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that you can match a belt to shoes perfectly unless they are black or purchased together.

I own 50+ pairs of shoes and maybe 5 belts. My belts consist of black, shades of brown, and cream. As long as I'm not wearing a black belt with brown shoes, or vice versa, I am good.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
OP,

what brand of shoes and belt are you wearing? I like the shoes.

They are my favorite Italian shoe brand: Sutor Mantellassi. I picked them up from Ian at Worlds Finest on eBay....I think he still has several pairs at $340.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by david809
It's been said before, but I'll say it again: when the shoes and belt are too matchy matchy, it looks a bit contrived.

I think a good rule is that your belt should be in the same general vicinity (dark brown, burgundy, tan, etc.) as the shoes, with the belt darker, if possible (not a good idea to draw focus to the mid section with something lighter). I think you are okay.

I agree, completely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads