• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much color variation is acceptible between shoe and belt?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
How much color variation is acceptable between shoe and belt? Is this belt to dark for these shoes?

BWB

Reaction score
I think C&J and Lobb both make belts of matching color for their shoes. Thanks for asking the question, as I was wondering the same thing myself.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a rule that can and should be liberally broken, and especially so with jeans. Few rulebook adherents are genuinely stylish.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Listen, as long as you separate really light browns, browns, and blacks, you should be fine.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do what they say ^^ and you will get no chick action (assuming that's your thing).

Now go out & get a proper belt to match those shoes!

Nexus6

Reaction score
your picture was so dark i had to use a photo editor to see it.
Belt is too dark.

A slight variation is forgiveable, as long at it doesn't clash too much.

Purists will tell you to buy a matching belt where you buy your shoes.
Allen Edmonds, for example, and others sell belts that match (or compliment) their shoe models.
For me, on a tight budget, I never buy their belts as yet , but would have liked to.

From what I have learned,
when buying a new pair of shoes, buy also the matching belt,
shoe trees & whatever shoe creams & accessories that apply to that model.

Getting laid has nothing to do with it.

david809

Reaction score
It's been said before, but I'll say it again: when the shoes and belt are too matchy matchy, it looks a bit contrived.

I think a good rule is that your belt should be in the same general vicinity (dark brown, burgundy, tan, etc.) as the shoes, with the belt darker, if possible (not a good idea to draw focus to the mid section with something lighter). I think you are okay.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
Listen, as long as you separate really light browns, browns, and blacks, you should be fine.
I would agree with this. That said, I think your belt is too dark for those shoes.

Also, I think that belt is too dressy for jeans. Something a bit wider and with some visual interest would be more appropriate.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nexus6

Getting laid has nothing to do with it.

That's what you think.

Originally Posted by david809
It's been said before, but I'll say it again: when the shoes and belt are too matchy matchy, it looks a bit contrived.

No. Buy a shoe, buy a belt or at least have one already that matches. If he came on here to ask, it's for a reason. Anyone who thought otherwise would not have started a thread. Think.

Period.

david809

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
If he came on here to ask, it's for a reason. Anyone who thought otherwise would not have started a thread. Think.

So your logic is that when a person starts a thread along the lines of "Does this look okay?" he already knows the answer is no, and that answer is correct. This is interesting reasoning.

DandySF

Reaction score
Reasonably close in color is what I aim for. I don't feel the need for an exact match.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by david809
So your logic is that when a person starts a thread along the lines of "Does this look okay?" he already knows the answer is no, and that answer is correct. This is interesting reasoning.

Originally Posted by DandySF
Reasonably close in color is what I aim for. I don't feel the need for an exact match.

Exactly. The OP's example is heinous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads