• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many times do you read your email before sending?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
not to be all big dick - but at this point in my life I re-read my emails about 1/5 as many times as I used to. when I was younger (including the pre-email days) writing a letter for fax could be an affiar of a few hours, and I always re-read everything 3-5 times. now, I pretty much look over it, unless it is a very important email, and then I will spell check it and send it to my assistant to proof just in case for grammer and spelling I might miss. but I can afford to make the occasional mistakes now, I couldn't then. I strongly suggest continuing to re-read until you are very comfortable with your ability to write business material. if I am sending something to be printed - I'll have two people proof it, though.
This. Earlier in my career I couldn't risk sending poorly composed e-mail or notes with errors. Now I look an e-mail over once maybe, time permitting. For critically important or more formal correspondence, my assistant, and if needed, an editor proofreads it.

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
A guy with whom I used to work once sent an email to a client without getting someone to proof read it first (including, I can only assume, himself). He signed off with:

Regards,
Andrew

Or at least, that's what he meant to say. Unfortunately when he went for the "g" in regards, he missed and hit "t" by mistake. Spell check didn't pick it up. Oops. Made my day. Ever since then I've been quite careful about reading through emails before I send them. I'd never read one five times though unless I was rewriting because I didn't like how I'd worded something.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saturdays
I love the Google Labs "Undo" option in GMail, it saves me many times. I usually re-read, sometimes forget to, hit undo and re-read and then send.

For the most part its a good thing to re-read 3-4 times. You can never be too careful.

What's the time limit for undoing an email? I've heard that sometimes it doesn't work.

Originally Posted by celery
0-1

I'm not big on making mistakes. I also follow the rule of "never email while angry."

+1 also never email/txt/FB while you're drunk. Sometimes I get the urge to msg some old girlfriends.

Originally Posted by Fang66
Compose in a word proccessing app, it's easier to read and edit, then copy and paste to the email app.

duh. why didn't I think of this?

Originally Posted by globetrotter
not to be all big dick - but at this point in my life I re-read my emails about 1/5 as many times as I used to. when I was younger (including the pre-email days) writing a letter for fax could be an affiar of a few hours, and I always re-read everything 3-5 times. now, I pretty much look over it, unless it is a very important email, and then I will spell check it and send it to my assistant to proof just in case for grammer and spelling I might miss. but I can afford to make the occasional mistakes now, I couldn't then. I strongly suggest continuing to re-read until you are very comfortable with your ability to write business material. if I am sending something to be printed - I'll have two people proof it, though.

that's what I'm doing boss. especially since my job duties are new and I'm not really familiar with all the paperwork. I've read it and know what I need but I still lack some of the "on the job skillz".

Originally Posted by imageWIS
Secretly record meetings, a-la Nixon.

is it illegal to audio record other people without their consent?

Originally Posted by Ty_Webb
I once sent an email to a client without getting someone to proof read it first. I signed off with:

Regards,
Andrew

Or at least, that's what I meant to say. Unfortunately when I went for the "g" in regards, I missed and hit "t" by mistake. Spell check didn't pick it up. Oops. Destroyed my day. Ever since then I've been quite careful about reading through emails before I send them. I'd never read one five times though unless I was rewriting because I didn't like how I'd worded something.

FTFY

so this?:

1) never email while angry/drunk
2) use word to type up emails
3) have someone proof read email
4) have a cool signature
5) keep sexy emailz off company server lol

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.orange
FTFY

I know it's en vogue to say "a guy I know" or something like that when it was you, but it really wasn't me. At the time I had no business sending emails to clients. I did get to reply to him saying "I can only assume you meant to say regards there". He was mortified. I would have been and would not be sharing such a story now. But that's just me.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's en vogue to say "a guy I know" or something like that when it was you, but it really wasn't me. At the time I had no business sending emails to clients. I did get to reply to him saying "I can only assume you meant to say regards there". He was mortified. I would have been and would not be sharing such a story now. But that's just me.

only kidding bro, I know it was that Andrew guy.
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by imageWIS
I know you can't use it in court... but not sure if illegal... forum lawyers, what say ye?

where's that mountain man guy when you need him? the one that crushes beers on his forehead.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
2-6 times, depending on the recipient.

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.orange
only kidding bro, I know it was that Andrew guy.
lol8[1].gif

Phew!!! I thought for a second you had me there. Oh...wait...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP, you have OCD!

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doubt it. You should see my messy ass room lol.

Sometimes I won't clean for a whole week.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A guy with whom I used to work once sent an email to a client without getting someone to proof read it first (including, I can only assume, himself). He signed off with:

Regards,
Andrew

Or at least, that's what he meant to say. Unfortunately when he went for the "g" in regards, he missed and hit "t" by mistake. Spell check didn't pick it up. Oops. Made my day. Ever since then I've been quite careful about reading through emails before I send them. I'd never read one five times though unless I was rewriting because I didn't like how I'd worded something.

Hilarious

I once sent an email to a vp at Hewlett packard saying "Where do you want to get lunch, dude? I'm ******* starving.". Her email had the same first three letters as my coworker and I didnt notice that outlook auto-populated the to field with the wrong address, until right after I hit send. I was mortified. She was cool about it, knowing I was very junior, and just made fun of me a little.

Now I don't put in the email addresses until the email is proofread and ready to be sent.

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Hilarious

I once sent an email to a vp at Hewlett packard saying "Where do you want to get lunch, dude? I'm ******* starving.". Her email had the same first three letters as my coworker and I didnt notice that outlook auto-populated the to field with the wrong address, until right after I hit send. I was mortified. She was cool about it, knowing I was very junior, and just made fun of me a little.

Now I don't put in the email addresses until the email is proofread and ready to be sent.

Me too. My left mouse button and keyboard are at the same height, so if I slide my mouse across and into my keyboard by mistake, it sometimes clicks. I've been too close to passing over send when that accidental click happens to risk it any more.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Hilarious

omg lol

+1

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT

+2, especially to higher-ups or sensitive e-mail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads