1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many times do you read your email before sending?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mr.orange, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mr.orange

mr.orange Distinguished Member

I've recently taken a lot more responsibilities at work and one of my duties is to email people for paperwork, or documents that we need from them. I'm not very good at emailing so I tend to spend about 5 minutes brainstorming, writing, and editing before I send it off. I probably read it about six or seven times. I don't think I have OCD, it's just that I want my message to be clear and concise.

btw I do the same thing with poasting and text messaging but, because it's totally casual I tend to not be so anal about wording and grammar.

2. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

3 or 4 times, but most of the emails I send at work end with "dictated but not read"

3. mr.orange

mr.orange Distinguished Member

well im no big shot so I have to read, and reread my work email lol.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

I've noticed this: SVP's at companies tend to write fragmented emails.

CEO's tend to write even shorter emails: see Steve Jobs.

5. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

Me neither, but I send emails on behalf of big shot who drunkenly talks a bunch of shit into his dictaphone the night before.

6. RSS

RSS Stylish Dinosaur

Not enough.

7. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

A few times, and sometimes if it's a particularly prickly subject I have someone else (whom I trust) read it, too.

8. RSS

RSS Stylish Dinosaur

...sometimes if it's a particularly prickly subject I have someone else (whom I trust) read it, too.
    +1

9. Saturdays

Saturdays Distinguished Member

I love the Google Labs "Undo" option in GMail, it saves me many times. I usually re-read, sometimes forget to, hit undo and re-read and then send.

For the most part its a good thing to re-read 3-4 times. You can never be too careful.

10. alliswell

alliswell Distinguished Member

A few times, and sometimes if it's a particularly prickly subject I have someone else (whom I trust) read it, too.

If you have to reread it so often you're better off scheduling a meeting.

11. celery

celery Distinguished Member

0-1

I'm not big on making mistakes. I also follow the rule of "never email while angry."

12. Fang66

Fang66 Stylish Dinosaur

Compose in a word proccessing app, it's easier to read and edit, then copy and paste to the email app.

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

not to be all big dick - but at this point in my life I re-read my emails about 1/5 as many times as I used to. when I was younger (including the pre-email days) writing a letter for fax could be an affiar of a few hours, and I always re-read everything 3-5 times. now, I pretty much look over it, unless it is a very important email, and then I will spell check it and send it to my assistant to proof just in case for grammer and spelling I might miss. but I can afford to make the occasional mistakes now, I couldn't then. I strongly suggest continuing to re-read until you are very comfortable with your ability to write business material.

if I am sending something to be printed - I'll have two people proof it, though.

14. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

If you have to reread it so often you're better off scheduling a meeting.

Oh, I hate meetings, because we have a habit of distorting everything that's said but not committed to paper. Written word is less subject to interpretation/distortion/mis-remembering. Also, my emails tend to be short and to-the-point, so re-reading it is hardly a chore. Two paragraphs is more or less my upper limit, and if I can make it shorter, I do.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Oh, I hate meetings, because we have a habit of distorting everything that's said but not committed to paper. Written word is less subject to interpretation/distortion/mis-remembering. Also, my emails tend to be short and to-the-point, so re-reading it is hardly a chore. Two paragraphs is more or less my upper limit, and if I can make it shorter, I do.

Secretly record meetings, a-la Nixon.