• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how many pushups/pullups can you do?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had one of those over-the-door pullup bars at my old house. By the time I moved out, I could do 28 underhand. I haven't found a good place to install the pullup bar in my new house, so I haven't been doing any pullups for the last three or four months.

I heard from a guy who had been in the infantry that 4 is considered average. If you can do 12, you're considered to be in a completely different class

I'm still doing pushups, however. I can squeak out 49 or 50, and try to do that twice a day.

Bodyweight is 180 lbs, FWIW.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

High rep pushups is the best way to develop and maintain lean, moderately muscular physique and avoid bulk

OK gonna stop deadlifting and squatting heavy then, push ups is the way forward. Just gonna do **** loads of push ups and have tiny legs, shoulder imbalances and no back. Oh wait forgot push ups worked your lats too, horizontal pushing for mad lats bros as well as staying shredded as ****. Have to actively try avoid bulk because one bench press and you will become ronnie coleman who is not aesthetic as ****.

Last edited:

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, yes, that's about right... high rep pushups will develop your lean, moderately muscular upper body and will not do much for your lower body at all, except slimming it down. Those whose fitness goals and aesthetic are different, should consider adding weights/ other routines to their workout.

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By moderately muscular you mean having a slightly muscled chest with no middle or rear delts and no back?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
244 pushups and 43 pullups

Oh wait, not e-broing? 60-65 pushups and 15 pullups.

I do pullups palms facing away and bar behind my head

stormin10

Reaction score
Pushups Idk I normally just do them for about 20 minutes... Don't really count I go for time more than reps. And pull-ups... I really suck at, granted I am pulling up 260lbs, and I find them a tad difficult especially because with most bars I can grip standing flat with my arms kinda bent.

Just curious you guys talking about doing high reps in pull-ups, how much do you weight? Because IMO it would be easier to pull up 140 then 240 etc.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can do about 60 consecutive pushups before my form goes to ****...can probably crank out another 10 ****** ones afterwards if I had to.
I can do 20 consecutive pullups with bodyweight, 8-9 with 45 pounds added. These are palms out, not quite a dead hang(that destroys my shoulders). I weigh about 170.

einfallsloserName123

Reaction score
I checked normal push-ups about a month ago, normally I do them in other versions, and managed 48. pull-ups are at 15 on good days, but mostly at least 13.

edit: Oh, mixed something up there, that's not true. Or at least not, if you're not counting chin-ups as pull-ups. Pull-ps I hardly make, because my pull-up-bar is to narrow and makes them annoying. Which is a shame, as pull-ups are awsome.

Last edited:

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not enough (about 15 but probably more now) and none.

Fuji, what are you training for/what are your goals?

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can do 30 consecutive push-ups. Then, I need a wee bit of rest. I try to do 100 a day.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These polls are always interesting because I see so many people who do pushups and pull-ups incorrectly. I constantly see guys at the gym doing 1/2 ROM pull-ups or as I like to call them, "Bro Ups."

stormin10

Reaction score

These polls are always interesting because I see so many people who do pushups and pull-ups incorrectly. I constantly see guys at the gym doing 1/2 ROM pull-ups or as I like to call them, "Bro Ups."

Yeah, I know that entirely, yesterday I was doing shrugs and the bar is behind me and one guy and his "bros" were more or less jumping about halfway then swinging their way to the top... All I could do was laugh a little

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another funny thing I saw was someone doing diamond pushups but had their hands far past their forehead and they were only doing about 10% ROM. I really, really wanted to correct their form but I just mind my own business.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads