1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

how many pushups/pullups can you do?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by woolnotmutton, Nov 10, 2011.

1. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

I can do around 60 pushups in a row but I'm pretty weak on pullups, can only do 4 good ones in a row, but I'm working on those now.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

It's been a while since I've done pushups to failure but two months ago I was able to do around 40. I currently can do 8 or 9 (depending on sleep/good preworkout meal) pull-ups to failure

3. mmadha

mmadha Senior member

I don't mean to be a grammar Nazi because I have had my fair share of slip-ups, but honestly what does "in a roll" mean? I can do about 60 pushup and 6 pullups consecutively.

4. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

meant row lmao.. I just finished a hard workout didn't know what I was thinking :)

5. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

70/24.

Haven't tried the pushups in a while, because they're boring.

6. willpower

willpower Senior member

45/18 Less than a year ago I couldn't even do 1 Pullup. Doing Negatives helped a lot - hopping up into position and slowly lowering myself down.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  7. AntonioPirata

AntonioPirata Well-Known Member

100+ push-ups, 30 pull-ups.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

good timing on the question. I was at the gym yesterday talking to a personal trainer about working on a specific thing (I am trying to improve my bench press) and he wanted me to do a simple evaluation. he had me do push ups, as many as I could do in 45 seconds. I did 45, and could have done another 15-20 without stopping, I think. I was really pleased, when I was in the army, I did 90 every morning and evening, no matter what. but a few years ago, I could barely do 10 withoout resting my knees. I think that isn't bad for a 45 year old man.

9. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Senior member

How are we doing pull-ups, guys? overhand (Marine style) or underhand (palm facing you -easier?).
    Overhand is considered the standard. It works your back and shoulders more than the underhand (palm facing you as you grip the bar). 100 push ups and about 13 pull ups (overhand).
    Tip -do 50 pushups a day for 10 days. Results are amazing. Oh.. a little flashback from Full Metal Jacket to get you in the mood:

In the Vietnam war movie Full Metal Jacket, there is a scene where Private Joker has a peace symbol on his body armor and “Born to Kill” written on his helmet. A colonel sees this and chews him out.

The colonel asks Joker why he would have a peace button and write “Born to Kill” on his helmet...

Private Joker replies, “I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man, sir.”

“The what?” says the colonel.

“The duality of man. The Jungian thing, sir.”

“Whose side are you on?” responds the colonel.

“Our side, sir.”

“Don't you love your country?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Then how about getting with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?”

“Yes, sir.”

10. MattR

MattR Senior member

50 pushups and about 15 pullups/chinups

11. AntonioPirata

It's always recommended to do pull-ups with forward-facing palms. Chin-ups are better for biceps.

12. MattR

MattR Senior member

I find pullups more challenging. But I've really been enjoying doing them over the last few months. Take that, 10th grade gym class!

13. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

+1 on the OVERHAND style pull-ups. and no using your legs and momentum to help you push up.

Are these pushups all the way up and then chest touching ground to count as ONE rep? or are these the "I can do 120 pushups in a minutes" by just bending my elbows up and down?

14. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Senior member

Lee,
    Go down bro!! all the way down. If you want a benchmark, do what the US military does. For ages 45-50, if you can do 68 pushups in 2 minutes (resting in the up position only, no ass in the air1) you are doing -OUTSTANDING work.

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

Pushups around 75. Pullups like 2

16. AntonioPirata

Push-ups: chest to the ground, arms shoulder-width apart.
    - Closer-in arms or fingers touching stress the triceps.
    - Wider arms stress the pectorals.
    Always keep your body in a planked position.

17. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Many people are not doing push-ups deep enough or properly, as a result most numbers are meaningless

18. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

50 push ups, all the way down. I stopped working out for a month and am getting back to the gym tomorrow, my goal is to be able to do 100 push ups straight by the end of december. Pull ups: 8

19. MattR

MattR Senior member

Anyone ever throw a towel over the pullup bar and do them that way? It's supposed to help grip strength a lot. I started on those the other day - only 5. eh.

20. stevent

stevent Senior member

And this is based on what? Sure you see people doing terrible pushups but I wouldn't say many