1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

how many pushups/pullups can you do?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by woolnotmutton, Nov 10, 2011.

1. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

^^^,,,and this is based on personal observations: back not kept straight, chest doesn't touch the floor, elbows not kept closely to the body...- cheating

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

not cheating, just different positions to work different muscles while performing push ups

3. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I was told that your chest was not supposed to touch the floor...per a military guy. If I remember correctly he said that your chest should be two inches from the ground and you should keep your elbows tucked in to avoid possible injury.

Any personal trainers amongst the congregation?

4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

60/20 overhand, .. some time ago :)

One arm pull-up anyone? I never nailed one.

It's a rock-climbing thing, and very rare (bout one in 100 000) in the general pop

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I used to have Cogito ergo sum on my helmet.

6. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I haven't done push ups in a long time so probably like 40 or so and for pull ups I do them underhand and can only do like 8.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

lul can't do push ups without my sternum feeling like its tearing apart and maybe like 10 chin ups, never bother with pull ups. I only ever train chin ups doing heavy singles or doubles with a plate chained to my belt, I think it has more carry over to the big lifts. Do not see the point in trying to do 100 push ups, im not gonna try do an 100 rep set on any of the lifts, just because its a calisthenic doesn't mean you need to do stupid reps.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

this!

we should be discussing weighted pull us and whats the total weight as i bet thereis a large weight distrubtion in users here

9. dwcopple

dwcopple Well-Known Member

pushups=35-40
    pullups=7-8
    chinups=9-10
    I need to get a gym membership again. I do bodyweight stuff 3x a week in my basement. pushups/pullups/squats/handstand push ups/etc.

10. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

High rep pushups is the best way to develop and maintain lean, moderately muscular physique and avoid bulk

11. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

I had one of those over-the-door pullup bars at my old house. By the time I moved out, I could do 28 underhand. I haven't found a good place to install the pullup bar in my new house, so I haven't been doing any pullups for the last three or four months.

I heard from a guy who had been in the infantry that 4 is considered average. If you can do 12, you're considered to be in a completely different class

I'm still doing pushups, however. I can squeak out 49 or 50, and try to do that twice a day.

Bodyweight is 180 lbs, FWIW.

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

lol Fuji better not do any pushups then.

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

OK gonna stop deadlifting and squatting heavy then, push ups is the way forward. Just gonna do fuck loads of push ups and have tiny legs, shoulder imbalances and no back. Oh wait forgot push ups worked your lats too, horizontal pushing for mad lats bros as well as staying shredded as fuck. Have to actively try avoid bulk because one bench press and you will become ronnie coleman who is not aesthetic as fuck.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  14. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Well, yes, that's about right... high rep pushups will develop your lean, moderately muscular upper body and will not do much for your lower body at all, except slimming it down. Those whose fitness goals and aesthetic are different, should consider adding weights/ other routines to their workout.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  15. fuji

fuji Senior member

By moderately muscular you mean having a slightly muscled chest with no middle or rear delts and no back?

16. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Ok, bro.

17. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

244 pushups and 43 pullups

Oh wait, not e-broing? 60-65 pushups and 15 pullups.

I do pullups palms facing away and bar behind my head

18. stormin10

stormin10 Senior member

Pushups Idk I normally just do them for about 20 minutes... Don't really count I go for time more than reps. And pull-ups... I really suck at, granted I am pulling up 260lbs, and I find them a tad difficult especially because with most bars I can grip standing flat with my arms kinda bent.

Just curious you guys talking about doing high reps in pull-ups, how much do you weight? Because IMO it would be easier to pull up 140 then 240 etc.

19. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I can do about 60 consecutive pushups before my form goes to shit...can probably crank out another 10 shitty ones afterwards if I had to.
    I can do 20 consecutive pullups with bodyweight, 8-9 with 45 pounds added. These are palms out, not quite a dead hang(that destroys my shoulders). I weigh about 170.

20. einfallsloserName123

einfallsloserName123 Well-Known Member

I checked normal push-ups about a month ago, normally I do them in other versions, and managed 48. pull-ups are at 15 on good days, but mostly at least 13.

edit: Oh, mixed something up there, that's not true. Or at least not, if you're not counting chin-ups as pull-ups. Pull-ps I hardly make, because my pull-up-bar is to narrow and makes them annoying. Which is a shame, as pull-ups are awsome.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012