• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many pair of shoes do you currently own?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity for the guys who have these collections - let’s call it over 150 - What’s the driver behind your large collections?

Is it shoes for the sake of shoes? Do you collect them for the sake of collecting? Is it like Pokémon where you're trying to catch them all?

I’d thought I had a high number being somewhere between 50-75 depending on how recently I’ve given things away and even with that there are shoes I get around to wearing maybe 5 times a year.

Do you wear multiple pairs a day or something? A smaller pair inside a larger pair?

Can't speak for the rest of these guys but for myself (who apparently has a humble collection based on these other high numbers) I began with AE around 2001-2002. Bought several pairs. Moved up to Alden. Picked up several American and Canadian Boots within that time. Then "found" English makers. Got tired of that style, so moved on to the Spanish aesthetic. Grew bored with that one moved on to Italian. That was growing stale and wanted something robust so moved onto Eastern European styles. After a few years of that, wanted something different from that robust style and the Japanese makers caught my eye.

Along the way, I picked up several pairs of Bespoke made shoes. Which speaking of, I am at the point now where I probably don't bother with RTW and demand (at minimum) MTM.

Last edited:

Anachronist

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that insight. Makes absolute sense, especially considering that even if you get bored of a style you do grow found of many shoes and selling off used shoes isn’t always easy.
For my part, I’m probably somewhere between 40-50 pairs, which I try to wear regularly, but have reached the point that I feel I have too many and am currently trying to sort out some.

apShepard

Reaction score
How do you have the energy to sellect a new pair every time you go outside? I have 8 pairs of leather shoes but realistally I wear the same pair of chukkas 80% of the year. Mostly because I can't be bothered to waste time choosing something different every time.

billbusse

Reaction score
Is this for real? 1,000 pairs? Do you mind if I ask how long you’ve been collecting? If I bought one pair of shoes each week, that would take 20 years.
50 years at least. I have a couple of pairs bought in 1963/64 and keep them for nostalgic reasons. I've also collected many vintage shoes (old new stock) in my size and have loaned to a museum. It's fun looking back at what guys wore and what I missed because I was a kid. I remember I had an uncle that had the coolest shoes when I was 6 or 9 years old, a different pair every time I saw him.

billbusse

Reaction score
How do you have the energy to sellect a new pair every time you go outside? I have 8 pairs of leather shoes but realistally I wear the same pair of chukkas 80% of the year. Mostly because I can't be bothered to waste time choosing something different every time.
When I need to 'dress up' I select the shoes according to the suit or sport coat,

billbusse

Reaction score
Christ! I thought I had a problem!
It depends on how you look at it. If it bothers you that you have so many shoes then it's a problem. If you collect them it's not a problem. It's really no different than collecting CDs, books, recordings or anything else. When you don't know what to do with them there are many great charitable organizations that are happy to accept them. I usually give 10 or so pairs away each month.

billbusse

Reaction score
When working in the garden, lawn, etc I have 2 or 3 pairs which I always wear. When I go walking I choose the sneaks to go with the clothes. In the evening at home I select slippers (pumps) or loafers. Dress shoes are chosen to go with the suit and/or blazer and slacks. Since the shoes/boots are in boxes labeled it's easy to pull out what I feel like wearing.
Yes, sometimes i forget I've bought something and find it months later.

billbusse

Reaction score
Out of curiosity for the guys who have these collections - let’s call it over 150 - What’s the driver behind your large collections?

Is it shoes for the sake of shoes? Do you collect them for the sake of collecting? Is it like Pokémon where you're trying to catch them all?

I’d thought I had a high number being somewhere between 50-75 depending on how recently I’ve given things away and even with that there are shoes I get around to wearing maybe 5 times a year.

Do you wear multiple pairs a day or something? A smaller pair inside a larger pair?
I wear one pair when I get ready in the AM which means I have to change if I'm going walking or working outside. When the work is finished it is cleanup time so I change clothes and shoes before I head for the shop. Once I've finished at the shop (usually two hours) I head home and change according to what's on for the afternoon. That's usually it so probably 4 or 5 pairs per day.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that insight. Makes absolute sense, especially considering that even if you get bored of a style you do grow found of many shoes and selling off used shoes isn’t always easy.
For my part, I’m probably somewhere between 40-50 pairs, which I try to wear regularly, but have reached the point that I feel I have too many and am currently trying to sort out some.

Tastes evolve, but men's shoes styles do not (generally speaking of course). Consequently, the last shapes of my shoes are indeed different, but the styles & patterns are either similar or the same.

Interestingly enough, I find myself going through cycles of what pleases my eye. In the early 2000s, I absolutely loved Alden. Fast forward about 10 years, and I thought their shoes were bulbous and almost rudimentary. Fast forward another 10 years (present time), surprisingly I'm back to wearing my Aldens.

Moral of the story, think hard before selling off your shoes. You may just come back to what you used to love. Sooo, always take proper care of your shoes.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like @billbusse said, it’s only a problem for those that have a problem with it.

I choose my outfit and shoes the night before work, place on a butler for the next morning. 98% of my collection are boots, I really love boots. To me, each pair is different from the other, I also don’t subscribe to duplication rules. I only wear one pair per day, in terms of “dress” shoes. After work, I get out of those close and put on sweatpants or jeans. Depends what I plan to do for that off time. Then it’s sneakers mostly, again handmade pairs from AofL. As a typical American I have a much larger home than is required for wifee and me. I store all of mine in a bedroom, that has basically been transformed into my closet.
One wall:
A26483B3-70CD-4141-90A3-8B08F6A3D91C.jpeg

billbusse

Reaction score
Like @billbusse said, it’s only a problem for those that have a problem with it.

I choose my outfit and shoes the night before work, place on a butler for the next morning. 98% of my collection are boots, I really love boots. To me, each pair is different from the other, I also don’t subscribe to duplication rules. I only wear one pair per day, in terms of “dress” shoes. After work, I get out of those close and put on sweatpants or jeans. Depends what I plan to do for that off time. Then it’s sneakers mostly, again handmade pairs from AofL. As a typical American I have a much larger home than is required for wifee and me. I store all of mine in a bedroom, that has basically been transformed into my closet.
One wall: I like it much as I do in the shoe closets so I can easily find them.
View attachment 1768965

billbusse

Reaction score
Can't speak for the rest of these guys but for myself (who apparently has a humble collection based on these other high numbers) I began with AE around 2001-2002. Bought several pairs. Moved up to Alden. Picked up several American and Canadian Boots within that time. Then "found" English makers. Got tired of that style, so moved on to the Spanish aesthetic. Grew bored with that one moved on to Italian. That was growing stale and wanted something robust so moved onto Eastern European styles. After a few years of that, wanted something different from that robust style and the Japanese makers caught my eye.

Along the way, I picked up several pairs of Bespoke made shoes. Which speaking of, I am at the point now where I probably don't bother with RTW and demand (at minimum) MTM.
I too get my shoes from Spain, England, Eastern Europe, etc. Many times the style I want although by a well known designer is not available in the US. I've Gucci styles/colors that were not made available here.

billbusse

Reaction score
I too get my shoes from other countries and makers including Italy, Spain , UK, Eastern Europe and Asia. many times bespoke but often from major designers whose styles and colors are not made available in the US.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too get my shoes from Spain, England, Eastern Europe, etc. Many times the style I want although by a well known designer is not available in the US. I've Gucci styles/colors that were not made available here.
I too get my shoes from other countries and makers including Italy, Spain , UK, Eastern Europe and Asia. many times bespoke but often from major designers whose styles and colors are not made available in the US.

It's funny how I came to own from various makers. I enjoy traveling. Whilst on those jaunts, I found myself in countries where I wanted to try their footwear. Which is how I came to own the Vass's of the world, amongst others in that section of Europe. Those travels is also what led me to have shoes made in France, Spain, Italy, and Japan.

I had already commissioned shoes in the UK prior to the other countries I just mentioned. Have to say that that general aesthetic still resonates the most with my overall style. I believe my first English made shoe I purchased was back in 2005 or 2006 (CJ). I'd purchased many English made shoes since then, RTW upwards to Bespoke. It's easily my favorite "look".

Incidentally to those reading this that find themselves on the lower end of the shoe ownership spectrum, purchase different last shapes but keep it conservative (if possible). I say that because younger guys love bolder colors and patterns. Be mindful of the fact your tastes will evolve. You like a green or red shoe now. Probably won't five years from now. Also be aware that fashion forward shoes will go out of style.

That said, if you end up taking a chance on a shoe that is outside the norm, ensure that is won't break the bank. Buy it with the thought that you wouldn't mind donating it a few years down the road.

Alternatively if you are dropping big money on a pair (say $500+ - - budgets vary here), purchase a conservative shoe in a conversative color that could be used 10 to 20 years from now.

Case in point, when I purchased my CJ Audleys it was the most money I had ever spent on a shoe (2006). I purchased it in black. It is 2022 and I still use it at the office.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads