• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the entire thing - it was muddy enough that without adequate footwear a run straight down from 1200 feet would have been fairly unpleasant. Here are the details:
03Nkl.png

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 miles. Temps in the 30s. There is no such thing as spring.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 at 7:15 pace.
Feeling a little bit ground up after running hard down hill yesterday. I am thinking of getting a sports massage at some point this week.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Not sure if I should ask this here, or start a new thread...but:

I'm trying to work up from basically 0 running ability, to be able to run 10k by the end of the summer. Not a fast 10k, just continuous movement without slowing to a walk.

To ramp up to this level, should I train for distance, or time? I.E: I'm good with goals, so I was thinking about doing 25 laps of a 400 meter track, 3 times a week. First week, 1 run lap, 1 walk, second week, 2 run, 1 walk, and so on.... until I can do the full 25.

Or should I run 20 minutes 3 times a week (starting 1 minute run, 1 walk, much like the lap plan), and then increasing slowly to 50 minutes or so, continuos running.
Thanks for anyones experience/advice that can be offered. Appreciate it.

P.S: I'll start a new thread, or move this post if it's required.

I was at your level (0 running ability) two months ago. The bolded portion would be substantially overdoing it at the start, IMO.

I just started the 8th week of couch to 5k; went a bit beyond the scheduled workout at the end of week 7 (28 minutes) and did just over 4 miles (just over 33 minutes). I've done the program based on time rather than distance, as that was the more challenging option.

It's been a good ramp up and I've never hit a point where I was too sore or was unable to complete a scheduled run, and I am confident that I could knock out a 10k given another month of running (in fact I'm sure I could do it now if I had to).

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Track workout tonight- 4 X 1200 (7 min cycle) followed by 6 X 400 (3 min cycle)
1200s all in right about 4:03-4:05
400s all in the neighborhood of 67-70
With warmup/ cooldown I got in 11.
I did not double today as is my usual practice on account of some soreness in my ankle (strangely not the achilles) just normal soreness, but I do not want to push things considering I am less than 3 weeks out from my target race.
dcg - That couch do 5k program seems really cool - do you find yourself wanting to try longer distance races? wanting to run a faster 5k? continuing to run?

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get out there, this is making me feel bad. It's been raining for the last two months which severely limits my ability to motivate myself.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
dcg - That couch do 5k program seems really cool - do you find yourself wanting to try longer distance races? wanting to run a faster 5k? continuing to run?

Sam,

The jury is still out
smile.gif
. I'm in my 9th week and still haven't had that breakthrough where I really enjoy myself during a run. Maybe I'm just pushing myself too hard since I have a goal in mind. I probably won't ever get into marathons (or even halfs), but I feel as though I should keep myself in good enough shape to be able to knock out 5-6 miles at a reasonable pace.

I could see myself running a few 5ks. No point in going through three months of training just for one race, right? My goals aren't too lofty - I'd be happy to be able to finish a 5k in under 20.

The real test, of course, will be whether I keep it up after my race.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Sam,

The jury is still out
smile.gif
. I'm in my 9th week and still haven't had that breakthrough where I really enjoy myself during a run. Maybe I'm just pushing myself too hard since I have a goal in mind. I probably won't ever get into marathons (or even halfs), but I feel as though I should keep myself in good enough shape to be able to knock out 5-6 miles at a reasonable pace.

I could see myself running a few 5ks. No point in going through three months of training just for one race, right? My goals aren't too lofty - I'd be happy to be able to finish a 5k in under 20.

The real test, of course, will be whether I keep it up after my race.

Honestly,
You will not find yourself feeling "great" until you feel like absolute **** on a run and push through it.
For me, that was going past 4 miles and pushing till my breathing settled from inconsistant deeper breaths, to a shallow quick rythmn. Once that happens, you can kind of run for ever.
Now, it happens at around 8 miles (a little over an hour) and my legs go from ok, to ****, to warmed up and happy.
Do not fear feeling stressed breathing, seriously out of breath, your body will figure it out, you just have to push it to that.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I've definitely had good days and bad days along the way, though not quite sure I've reached the "absolute ****" feeling. I hadn't eaten for almost 24 hours prior to the 4 miler on Saturday and felt pretty awful. I was running a two mile loop, so I felt pretty good about the decision to push myself to knock out that second lap. Wasn't quite sure I was going to make it without some walking about a quarter of the way through lap two, but managed to finish. Briefly considered subjecting myself to a third lap.

How's the healing coming along?

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Quick run across the Queensboro Bridge this morning. 3.7 miles in 25:23.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the healing coming along?[/quote]

It will come, stick in there!!!!

Well, it basically feels like my foot was smashed to bits by a sledge hammer, I can feel the incisions in my compression cast and if I dont spend alot of time with my foot up, it swells something awful and throbs like crazy.
Its getting better slowly, as the swelling goes down.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^damn that sounds brutal man. Are you holding up to the lack of endorphins allright? When I broke my foot last summer that was a killer for me. I hope the recovery comes along quickly, and in the meanwhile I will try not to take my running for granted!
7.5 tonight for me. Had to call it early as a result of some aggravating pain in my left ankle. I am going to ice and probably go double my targeted run time on the elliptical tomorrow if the ankle isn't feeling any better. I hate missing runs and cutting them short but I know that I am too close to my race to do anything dumb and risk compromising my body on race day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics