How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Sore as sh*t today but riding a residual high.
    here is a mediocre pic my girlfriend took of me at mile 25.5, after the wheels had come off a bit:
    [​IMG]

Sam,
    Do you think the calf compression helps while running?
    I use the Zensah sleeves for post calf destruction rebuilding, but am still up in the air on the benifit of wearing compression while running.

Congrats again!

2. jhe0417

jhe0417 Senior member

Congrats, SBB! That's impressive. I'm just trying to get to the 5-mile mark myself... [​IMG]

3. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

thanks everyone!

Regarding compression socks, I had been a nay sayer until I saw Chris Solinsky break the American 10k record wearing them.
    Being the fanboy that I am I picked them up, and ran a 13.1 tempo in like 1:28 or something dramatically faster than my previous pr.
    I try to train mostly without them, but I think they preserve the juice in the calfs for longer. At the end of the marathon, I was cramping in my glutes and hamstrings while my calf muscles were not noticeable.
    I love the damn socks, although they are damn expensive
    I have tried CWX editions, which suck, and the CEPs (ZOOT compression socks, as pictured, are made by CEP) which are fantastic.
    They have the added benefit of keeping your calf muscles mildly insulated.

4. Bellearmed

Bellearmed New Member

I run about 3 miles a day as well. Fast pase.

and then I lay down for hours, trying to catch my breath.

5. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

here is a mediocre pic my girlfriend took of me at mile 25.5, after the wheels had come off a bit:
    [​IMG]

Cool pic! This is the shit that amazes me about 26.2s. You had a great time, and seem to be fairly fit. Then behind you is an old guy that looks like he trains by eating cheeseburgers and a chick who looks like she's out speedwalking with the neighborhood moms. Yet they were probably very close to your finishing time....aint running great!?

6. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Last night, a great run for about 4 miles. Temperature, a balmy 30 degrees. Got home just in time to watch the Red Wings defeat the NY Rangers, the return of Pavel Datsyuk, and the excellent goal tending of Jimmy Howard. A hockey game between two original six members if always twice a game.

7. clarinetplayer

[​IMG]

Nice pic and congrats!

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Cool pic! This is the shit that amazes me about 26.2s. You had a great time, and seem to be fairly fit. Then behind you is an old guy that looks like he trains by eating cheeseburgers and a chick who looks like she's out speedwalking with the neighborhood moms. Yet they were probably very close to your finishing time....aint running great!?

Hmmm, I took the different number colors to indicate they were running half marathons (yellow) while Sam (orange) was running the full. At least, that's how the Houston race is set up. I could be wrong, though.

Today: 5.3 miles in 40:12. Felt better, although each loop was a tad slower than the previous one.

9. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

yeah this race was the first time that I was not getting beat by many people that looked less fit than me, the yellow bib wearers were running the half.
    That being said it is amazing what fast people end up looking like, from the anemic 120 pound 5'11 guy to the 5'1 guy who takes 176 strides a minute to the 6'5 guy who is jacked and loping to the cute/buff gals and their pacers. I love the diversity of the full deal though its just one of the awesome parts of running.
    From here, I am going to focus on some shorter distances to get an idea of my potential in the longer races, although I am planning on building to around 10 more miles a weak than I was at before this marathon (around 80)

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Last night, a great run for about 4 miles. Temperature, a balmy 30 degrees. Got home just in time to watch the Red Wings defeat the NY Rangers, the return of Pavel Datsyuk, and the excellent goal tending of Jimmy Howard. A hockey game between two original six members if always twice a game.

grrrr.

We were both slumping, hopefully we'll snap out of it like you guys did. And yes, O6 hockey is the best.

4.5 miles yesterday for me, today a well deserved day off after gym or running 6 days in a row...my 34 yr old body is screaming at me.

11. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

4.5 miles yesterday for me, today a well deserved day off after gym or running 6 days in a row...my 34 yr old body is screaming at me.
    I turn 40 in four months, so take yer bitchin' someplace else. [​IMG] Didn't get to run today. I'm still at the office. Might hit the dreadmill before I head home, but that would mean wifey will be in bed by then. Guess now I'm the one bitchin'. [​IMG]

12. GSquared

GSquared Senior member

First time poster here.

Just finished Week 1 Day 3 of the Couch to 5K routine. So far, so good. Got in 2.3 miles in 30 min.

Side note: Also, just bought 'The Stick' on amazon today. Can't wait for that to get here so that I can iron out my legs. They are super tight.

13. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Ive taken a few days off, to try to heal an issue in my foot.

Im formally commiting to 2 races this year. Both are 50K trail races.
    One in May and one in Sept.
    Im sure Ill throw more in, but I dont want to blow too much money for fear that I will get a bone donor and that will pretty much take me out of running for 4-6 months.

Got my innov8 Roclite 295's, did a quick jaunt in the snow, to see how they feel...
    WOW....these are amazing shoes, some how they grip on the snow and ice like my microspikes do. Im fixing to hit my secret trails on Thursday for 12+ miles untimed in these.
    Been talking to my brothers who are both doing Chukanut 50K and White River 50 (miles) this year. One is coming out to run the Ice Age 50 with me, the other will come out to run the north face endurance challenge in Sept.
    Should I have surgery before, they will just run in my place.

On another shoe note, Im fixing to get some Saucony Peregrines (the new Kinvara trail shoe) and a pair of NB MT101 to dial in what shoe to train and race in. Any thoughts on these? Im pretty sure the shoes Im in now are as minmal as the MT's and the Saucony will be just like what I am used to for road running.

14. ChicagoMediaMan

ChicagoMediaMan Senior member

Just 3 1/2 miles on the treadmill after work tonight. As much as I hate running on treadmills, the 20 inches of snow and below zero wind chills are preventing me from going the 3 blocks east to the lakefront path. Have an 8K race coming up in early April and trying to decide if I want to do a half marathon this summer. I've already done 3 and thinking I might need a new challenge.

Question to the other runners: last week I ran about 3 1/2 miles 3 nights in a row on the treadmill. The 3rd night I woke up with knee pain. I took an aleve and a few days off and I feel fine. I've since run on the treadmill, but never 2 days in a row. I've run 3 half marathons, 2 15K's, 4 8K's over the last few years and have had no problem running multiple days in a row outside. Do you guys think this is because of the treadmill? I've heard they can be especially bad on knees.

15. clarinetplayer

grrrr.

We were both slumping, hopefully we'll snap out of it like you guys did. And yes, O6 hockey is the best.

[​IMG]