• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How high is acceptable? Suggestions for urban college style...

Fashionless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HPress
WAIT. I said the 511s run small, so get the 34 size only if you get the 511s.

Why do you prefer the 501s over the 511s? I think the cut is very nice on the 511s. (But with the 511s you need to go up a size so they're not tight.)

Also, when the jeans come, post a picture here and we'll criticize the fit.

The shoes that you posted are nice. However, I think the natural colored Topsiders are better, will last longer, and you can wear them at your interview.

The Zoo York shirt is nice, but it's not worth $50. Neither is the BB shirt worth $70. Figure out the jeans and the shoes first, and worry about shirts later.

Do you have a nice Goodwill in your area? I thrift most of my casual shirts.

That's my fault I ordered the 511's not the 501's. I ended up going a 32/34 to start out with. I can always return them if they don't fit right.

How do the Topsiders compare in sizing to say Nike? I'm a 13 in Nike so I'm guessing a 10.5 or 11 for the Topsiders.

Originally Posted by Usul
I think Will had a pretty good primer for guys just starting out.
A Suitable Wardrobe- blogspot
Should keep you under 10K for the first year.

I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by SladeDT
Since you're just starting college, go to H&M for a few dress shirts. They fit slim and aren't going to break the bank.
I don't have a car and live in a smaller town so H&M is outta the question.

Fashionless

Reaction score

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you prefer the 501s over the 511s? I think the cut is very nice on the 511s. (But with the 511s you need to go up a size so they're not tight.)

No skinny jeans. Everyone who sees a man in skinny jeans, hates that man.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread was going to be about testing the limits of how stoned you can get,
totally disappointed
frown.gif
frown.gif

Fashionless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
I thought this thread was going to be about testing the limits of how stoned you can get, totally disappointed
frown.gif
frown.gif

Should have asked me about getting stoned last night...
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Yup not a big fan of skinny jeans. I like em slim and suitable. Looking for a sweatshirt, carnigan or jacket that can be worn inside but has a slim fit to it. Kinda like the adidas track jackets. More along the lines of this from J Crew. Obviously less expensive.

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
LOL. 1. The OP is in *high school.* What are you suggesting? A suit? Sheeesh. 2. Skinny jeans are not the same thing as tight jeans. Skinny jeans often look good. Tight jeans rarely do. I hate tight jeans. 3. The OP is 6'1 and 170 lb -- this is the body type on which skinny jeans are flattering.

Fashionless

Reaction score
LOL.

1. The OP is in *high school.* What are you suggesting? A suit? Sheeesh.

2. Skinny jeans are not the same thing as tight jeans. Skinny jeans often look good. Tight jeans rarely do. I hate tight jeans.

3. The OP is 6'1 and 170 lb -- this is the body type on which skinny jeans are flattering.

Wait I'm lost aren't skinny jeans the super tight ones?

HPress

Reaction score
Not neccesarrily. Levi's skinny jeans are cut narrow, but how tightly they fit depends on their size and your body type.

Tight jeans almost never look good. However, I wear Levi's 511 and I have a nice bit of room all through the leg. (I'm 6'1 and weigh slightly less than you but have big thighs.)

If you ordered the 511s in 32x34, they may be tight, depending on how big your hips are.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but no one uses the term "tight jeans."
Skinny jeans as a terminology/marketing buzzword refer to what you are calling here "tight jeans."

Fashionless

Reaction score
Not neccesarrily. Levi's skinny jeans are cut narrow, but how tightly they fit depends on their size and your body type.

Tight jeans almost never look good. However, I wear Levi's 511 and I have a nice bit of room all through the leg. (I'm 6'1 and weigh slightly less than you but have big thighs.)

If you ordered the 511s in 32x34, they may be tight, depending on how big your hips are.

I hope there not tight. BTW do you have the Topsiders?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. The OP is in *high school.* What are you suggesting? A suit? Sheeesh.

2. Skinny jeans are not the same thing as tight jeans. Skinny jeans often look good. Tight jeans rarely do. I hate tight jeans.

3. The OP is 6'1 and 170 lb -- this is the body type on which skinny jeans are flattering.

I've never seen skinny jeans work on men. There is, in fact, a middle ground between them and suits.

Fashionless

Reaction score
I got em today. They are a little tight around the waist and a little long maybe an inch or so a the end but the fit is nice and form fitting. They will have to do.

Took pictures with both polos I own from multiple angles to see what you guy's think of the fit, outfit etc. It needs a belt maybe a light tan would work for both polos? The red polo screams attention so I probably won't wear that.
Attachment 51266
Attachment 51267
Attachment 51268
Attachment 51269
Attachment 51270
Attachment 51271

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads