• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does technical outerwear fit into your style sense?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I have an R1 hoody. The one that was re-released this year. Secretly, at home, I wear it all the time. I don't wear it "out,' since, well, it's pretty much a $100 fleecy hoody. It sort of falls under the "No sweats outside the house" dictum.

The rest of my tech wear comes out when xc skiing, alpine skiing, backpacking, and snowshoeing. I will admit that I wore my Gore-Tex Paclite jacket to the market a few weeks ago, but it was really pissing down rain.

hamm23

Reaction score
i have a mountain hardwear windstopper black fleece that i wear with almost everything. I know it doesnt look the best but its so warm and light that I have a hard time grabbing anything else from my closet.

Empire

Reaction score
How exactly do you guys define "technical outerwear". I mean something with a really modern cut but uses a goretex layer for instance, would that be described as technical or a fashion piece ? Where do you draw the line ?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tech fabric coats over suits were a style note for menswear during Fashion Week.

Some of the best outerwear of this kind was at Y-3, but there were others.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love technical gear, including outerwear. My favorite company right now is Nau (no pun intended).

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
I love technical gear, including outerwear. My favorite company right now is Nau (no pun intended).
It seems to me Nau is in its own unique niche, style far advanced beyond Patagonia, NF, Marmot and the other usual tech gear suspects. In general though the whole technical wear thing gets laughable sometimes. On a beautiful sunny winter day here in Mass. when a midweight sweater would do just fine, you see folks running around in stuff designed for a Denali summit attempt.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a techie environment, during a more formal event, I saw a gray fleece pullover used to de-borgify a CEO-type outfit.

uhhh, perhaps a translation is useful:

In the world of high tech, where a sportcoat, odd trousers, and tie marks you as administrator with money control ("a suit"), it is nearly impossible to be in both the techie and administrator worlds simultaneously. Jeans and a sports shirt or fleece marks you as techie. Going partway with chinos with oxford button down just marks you as middle manager. The brilliant solution employed was gray flannel pants, crisp white point collar dress shirt, tie, and a gray fleece pullover. It looked like an administrator slumming it with the techies, but the grey fleece gave it instant credibility. To the other administrators he was going casual, but then, so were they, by using sportcoats.

In the end, the guy put on a jacket, but his jacket was the traditional wear of the techies instead of the landed gentry. Subtle, effective, stunning.
worship.gif

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a Prada Sport black zip-up down jacket that's a few sizes too big that i've had since 99 that i incorporate into my outfits when it's damn cold...also wear it for mainland China outings and to the club sometimes. It's not the most attractive fit, but if elegance is of the mind then i like to think i'm on some oversize techno fabric garment steez; it's almost relevant to today's fashions as it feels slightly Raf Simons lol...

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshack
Do you keep the gore-tex and capilene confined to outdoors pursuits, or do you find yourself working your techy pieces into your outfits?

Almost never wear them. I think I only own two things - some sort of ski jacket shell from 7-8 years ago (and I never got the removable liner) and some sort of ugly puffy jacket. I don't think I've worn them this winter.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
All of my tech clothes are from Patagonia. I ski, bike, hike etc and enjoy being outdoors even if the weather sucks. It performs great and looks ok with my casual stuff.
I have though been recently turned on to Nau outerwear. www.nau.com I like the modern edge these guys have brought to outerwear and if they had wholesale accounts, I would sell it. They only have an online and freestanding stores.

Gary

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
I have an R1 hoody. The one that was re-released this year. Secretly, at home, I wear it all the time. I don't wear it "out,' since, well, it's pretty much a $100 fleecy hoody. It sort of falls under the "No sweats outside the house" dictum.

The rest of my tech wear comes out when xc skiing, alpine skiing, backpacking, and snowshoeing. I will admit that I wore my Gore-Tex Paclite jacket to the market a few weeks ago, but it was really pissing down rain.

R1 stuff is great.

-Jeff

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i'm guilty of wearing a black ratty patagonia fleece way too much. it goes with everything, and its warm. mine actually fits me so i dont look the granpas wearing their patagonias and crocs (barf!), and i wear mine with everything from my flathead 3001's, and sometimes over my biz casual stuff for work.

sure i may be millions of miles behind dior homme in terms of fashion, but its comfortable. i'll save my DH for going out.

i'm thinking of getting a light techy jacket, to replace my fleece. arc'teryx makes a great jacket, function wise, and the designs are slick enough without all the stupid toggles and cords etc you find in other brands.

here in austin, the fratty's and sorostitutes wear patagonia and north face as there symbol that they have 'arrived'

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
In a techie environment, during a more formal event, I saw a gray fleece pullover used to de-borgify a CEO-type outfit. uhhh, perhaps a translation is useful: In the world of high tech, where a sportcoat, odd trousers, and tie marks you as administrator with money control ("a suit"), it is nearly impossible to be in both the techie and administrator worlds simultaneously. Jeans and a sports shirt or fleece marks you as techie. Going partway with chinos with oxford button down just marks you as middle manager. The brilliant solution employed was gray flannel pants, crisp white point collar dress shirt, tie, and a gray fleece pullover. It looked like an administrator slumming it with the techies, but the grey fleece gave it instant credibility. To the other administrators he was going casual, but then, so were they, by using sportcoats. In the end, the guy put on a jacket, but his jacket was the traditional wear of the techies instead of the landed gentry. Subtle, effective, stunning.
worship.gif

What the **** is this? Would someone please ban the J Peterman catalog from posting here?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics