Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How does technical outerwear fit into your style sense?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dshack, Feb 21, 2008.

1. dshack

dshack Senior member

Do you keep the gore-tex and capilene confined to outdoors pursuits, or do you find yourself working your techy pieces into your outfits?

2. migo

migo Senior member

I have a marmot shell that I wear when I ski and when its raining/snowing

3. Rye GB

Rye GB Angry Englishman

I like the twist to an outfit a technical jacket can make. I have some items from Patagonia and Arcteryx that look decent with skinny jeans. I only have Black pieces though, yellow, red and blue is too much of a challenge!.
    I'd like to check out Acronym but I don't know if there is a So Cal stockist. Whilst at the shows in Vegas I had a chance to check out the Fall Stone Island gear, really great stuff, the fabrics and colors are amazing. I'm sure you won't get much change from 1k when they retail.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I wear tech fabrics only reluctantly if it's avoidable. I guess it's possible that something techy could look decent if the cut were good and all that, but it's unlikely. When I do have to wear my North Face jacket or something, I put it with slightly looser, more standard/mallish looking clothes because it looks totally wrong and weird to me with my nicer stuff that fits better. When I do the mall thing, I just look like a decently dressed average joe guy.

5. erbs

erbs Senior member

My Barbour definitely gets more wear than my North Face, but the NF can look all right in casual situations: looser jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers for the NF, slimmer jeans/khakis, button down, and aldens for the Barbour.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Badly but I never wear that stuff.

7. dusty

dusty Senior member

I bought my NF for skiing but I find myself defaulting to it when it gets too cold and wet outside. Doesn't look great but it works.

8. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

i live in seattle. everyone pretty much wears techie stuff in the rain/cold (aka 10 months of the year).

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Technical wear is normal wear here in Colorado. I've been trying to shift away from fleece/rip stop nylon to wool/leather.

10. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Senior member

My Barbour definitely gets more wear

It looks and feels better than any of the technical jackets out there! I basically dumped all of my rain and windproof jackets, after I finally bought my Beaufort.

11. phooi

phooi Senior member

I guess I'm not as particular as most here. I'm fairly practical and enjoy my pieces from Patagonia although I am now more particular about their fit. Nothing beats the cold like a down vest or jacket.

12. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

it really doesnt, but Ive been thinking of adding something like a patagonia fleece vest or helly hansen pile retro jacket to add some fabric/texture variation.

13. midcut

midcut Active Member

I go with a high-tech/lo-tech contrast. Patagonia shell jacket in a toned down colour, with brightly coloured knitwear, dark denim and crepe soled moccasins of some description.

14. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^ sounds good too me, pretty much how id do it myself. pics?

15. jkennett

jkennett Senior member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    I haven't worn my technical jacket in a long time... about 2 years since I last went snowboarding. However, I think I could incorporate it fairly easily into my wardrobe. It's a washed out dusty yellow and grey color, and the branding isn't really obvious since it's limited to little burton zipper pulls. I might try to find it and see how it works as a layer now.