• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you spot the Triathlete at your office?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Damn, man - I'm sorry to hear this. Generally I try to keep these sorts of things to myself, except when I'm in Understanding Company - and even then I try to not say a whole lot. For some reason, it's kinda personal to me. Oh, and I don't have any of those ******* stickers on my car. No 13.1, no 26.2, and certainly no USA-T
laugh.gif
When the **** did "tri" become the accepted terminology? She told me she was working at "Tri" and I was all "huh? Tri what? Try? Tri-City?" I admire her a bunch for her energy and her determination: she's run several TC marathons, a bunch of Grandma's and Boston. Good for her. But ****, this has now crossed over into the obsession territory for her. And, as I said, she is at base bat-**** crazy, so adding in this has kicked her right off the normal plane.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
laugh.gif

When the **** did "tri" become the accepted terminology? She told me she was working at "Tri" and I was all "huh? Tri what? Try? Tri-City?"

I admire her a bunch for her energy and her determination: she's run several TC marathons, a bunch of Grandma's and Boston. Good for her. But ****, this has now crossed over into the obsession territory for her.

And, as I said, she is at base bat-**** crazy, so adding in this has kicked her right off the normal plane.

Well, it's a fairly typical progression. Not excuse the rampant jargoneering and general chest-thumping ass-hattery of your typical marathoner/triathlete, but most folks go from "oh no not me - I'll never run a marathon" and then they dip their toe in, and they face the struggle of pushing your limits - some come through the other side a truly changed person. Mostly those changes are positive, but sometimes a person's exuberance can exacerbate an already shaky relationship with the outside world.

Where is gets bad is in the ramp-up (hey I'm Doing this!, Look at me!), and the eventual waning of talent/desire/time (I Still Have it, dammit!). Given the explosion of tri-events, you're seeing a lot of the first, and in a few years you'll see a lot of the latters.

As for me, I'm still pretty low-key, but I take a personal, visceral thrill in watching some tatted/gear-laden triathlete cross the finish line...well behind me.

BTW...Rube, congrats to RBIII for Boston. That's one of my goals for next year, once I'm (ahem) 40 and the qualifying standard gets a tad easier.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
BTW...Rube, congrats to RBIII for Boston. That's one of my goals for next year, once I'm (ahem) 40 and the qualifying standard gets a tad easier.

It is my sister, not one of my daughters, but yeah, I congratulated her on her accomplishment.
She and her daughter actually both qualified for Boston and ran together.

Not bad for an old broad.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to run and have run a marathon, but I don't really talk about it that much because I'm (relatively speaking) like a lumbering rhinoceros compared to some of the tiny people out there. My goal in any race is not to have anyone be twice as fast as me. So far I've managed to pull that off.
smile.gif

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Agreed. All these people talk about is "Are you running this Saturday?"...

Usually undersexed + masculine looking women, beat up skinny guys. But, let's be real, finishing is one of life's greatest accomplishments...

laugh.gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Really? Most people I know don't talk about it.

You can get the younger/college age kids who run their mouth and think their **** rules all.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think anyone would get it if I made the sticker "6.55"?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Only thing worse is straight cyclists. ughhhhhhhhhh.

If you won't shut the **** up about your bike it better be a Triumph or a Harley.

Bicycling makes no fcking sense to me at all.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the hype over the 13.1 distance. Seriously, anyone can run that far....maybe not fast.
The **** that they sell to commemorate your "accomplishment"is insane.
I remember the first one I ran, I was given a rock that had 13.1 etched into it. What am I going to do with a 1/2 marathon rock? I think I used it as a skipping rock with my kids.
Triathletes though, a whole different world of insane dedication and 24/7/365 talk/think/**** the damn thing.
Anyhow, its all better than not running, biking, swiming.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
I love the hype over the 13.1 distance. Seriously, anyone can run that far....maybe not fast.
The **** that they sell to commemorate your "accomplishment"is insane.
I remember the first one I ran, I was given a rock that had 13.1 etched into it. What am I going to do with a 1/2 marathon rock? I think I used it as a skipping rock with my kids.
Triathletes though, a whole different world of insane dedication and 24/7/365 talk/think/**** the damn thing.
Anyhow, its all better than not running, biking, swiming.

jeez, thanx rabbit. Thanx a whole heck of a lot!
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads