• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you position yourself to only sleep 2-4 hours?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life has been too busy these days. I'm having less and less sleep with deadlines and all, mostly academic. My dad was in 'Nam and he told that most soldiers were taught to sleep in the "sitting under the coconut tree" position so they don't doze off when enemies approach. So I tried this, but I am always finding myself lying on the bed the next morning, and missed my deadlines. I appreciate any help. This was what my father recommended:
johnie_nolen_right_tachikawa_air_base_japan_and_one_unidentified_sitting_under_tree_2.jpg
Kind of like sitting up, leaning against something. Sorry these guys are not sleeping.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Life has been too busy these days. I'm having less and less sleep with deadlines and all, mostly academic. My dad was in 'Nam and he told that most soldiers were taught to sleep in the "sitting under the coconut tree" position so they don't doze off when enemies approach. So I tried this, but I am always finding myself lying on the bed the next morning, and missed my deadlines. I appreciate any help. This was what my father recommended:

Leaning against something erect, except your hands are placed at the front (while no guns are pointed at you).

LOL I can offer no assistance re: the question, but couldn't you have found a picture that illustrated what you want better than this?
laugh.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people sleep in cycles that are pretty regular. Figure out the length of your usual first cycle and set an alarm clock. When I was still in school and went weeks at a time not sleeping much five or six nights per week, I figured out that I could set an alarm to go off in 3 1/2 hours. It would catch me a (relatively) near-awake state and I'd pop up refreshed. But if I set the alarm for 4 hours even, or 5 hours, I'd be much, much more likely to sleep through it. There are fancy terms and science to explain this. I think. I could sleep 3 1/2 or about 7 hours. If I tried to get up at any point between, I'd sleep 10.

It also helps to drink a lot of water before you go to sleep.

And I would sleep in whatever position is most comfortable to you. You're a student (or an academic), not a soldier. Sleep in peace.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
^Thats the ticket. Full REM cycle is about 45mins. You want to time yourself to wake up at the end of the cycle not at any point in it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There are alarm clocks that can be set to do this for you. They detect your sleep cycle and wake you up at the best time within a window you set so that you aren't awoken out of a deep sleep.

At one point I was getting like 3.5-4 hours a night and then going home after school and getting another 3.5 or so, and I felt fine, because I was getting enough sleep cycles and not waking up at the wrong times.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I edited my post. I apologize if that offended anyone. I was just just lazy searching for a pic.

Originally Posted by texas_jack
This is in very bad taste.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you aren't worried (I hope!) about being killed, sleep how you are most comfort to get the greatest benefit from the sleep. Use alarm clocks as necessary to wake you up. During my undergrad, I used Task Scheduler to play really loud music to wake me, changing the songs every few days or I'd get used to them.

And remember, one day you'll look back at this time and reflect...on how much it sucked.

Best,
Huntsman

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in this situation, I always slept on the floor. This works well because usually a rug is just comfortable enough to fall asleep on, but not comfortable enough to stay asleep for more than a few hours, even if you're really tired.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in college during my 3D finals I would routinely be up sometimes for over a day straight and many days especially during finals with 2-4 hrs sleep. We would be finishing projects at home, rendering at school, and going back and forth between buildings. Many slept on the floor against a wall, some slept on their desks. I tried to not go into bed because I knew I wouldn't get up.

I've found that I am much more awake on 4hrs of sleep than with 8+, perhaps it is because after I get into a deep sleep I am more groggy when I wake. I usually test this when I have an early flight (say 6am) and I go to sleep at 10pm and wake up at 2am to get ready and leave.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
When I was in this situation, I always slept on the floor. This works well because usually a rug is just comfortable enough to fall asleep on, but not comfortable enough to stay asleep for more than a few hours, even if you're really tired.

Damn, I used to do that on nights before finals when I was on;y going to sleep an hour or two and couldn't risk missing the alarm. That was miserable.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
I did that when finishing my exams too. Sucks. Works.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
There are alarm clocks that can be set to do this for you. They detect your sleep cycle and wake you up at the best time within a window you set so that you aren't awoken out of a deep sleep.
How does the alarm clock detect your sleep cycle? Do you have to strap some sensor to yourself? I am interested in purchasing something like this. I used to sleep in a recliner in my first year at university and I found that effective at sleeping for only short periods. Now I no longer live with people that own recliners.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
How does the alarm clock detect your sleep cycle? Do you have to strap some sensor to yourself? I am interested in purchasing something like this. I used to sleep in a recliner in my first year at university and I found that effective at sleeping for only short periods. Now I no longer live with people that own recliners.
Yes, it has a sensor in a terry cloth wrist band.

http://www.axbo.com/axbo/CMS/CMS.aspx?Language=E&Mode=0

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads