• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I keep my white shirts looking good?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I use Arm and Hammer natural deodorant and its the only one I've found that doesnt leave a yellow-stain. It can be found at wegmans and purchased for about $2.5/stick. Much cheaper then Toms of Maine which did not perform well and still left stains.

I hand-wash the collar and cuffs with Natural bar soap prior to washing.

I think we're talking two different kinds of pit stains here; the yellow stain from perspiration and DO, and the hard residue some deodorants leave.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wash all whites together in hot water with detergent and color safe bleach. Nothing else is needed.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
I think we're talking two different kinds of pit stains here; the yellow stain from perspiration and DO, and the hard residue some deodorants leave.

Are we?

lastlight

Reaction score
As far as the sweating, stop wearing antipersperant. Drink more water and less salt and use normal deoderant. Your sweating will be less stainy. No bullshit I marked shirts for all my adolesence, used drysol, anti persperent, whatevs.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I noticed something very depressing and disturbing that happened to two white shirts I own (one is a white OCBD and the other is a Lacoste polo): I noticed--for lack of a better way to describe it--what appears to be oil blotches or stains on various parts of the shirts.

I've had both of these shirts for a long time now and they've both been laundered hundreds of times over the years. If I were to guess what caused these mysterious oil blotches, I would say they came from the perspiration of my socks which I toss into the same hamper as my shirts and the sweat from my socks, I assume, soaked into the white shirts.

Does anyone else notice this happening on their white shirts?

I can't see these stains unless I look really closely and only when I hold them up to the light.

I'm thinking of tossing these shirts since the oil blotches are very obvious now that I know they're there.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I noticed something very depressing and disturbing that happened to two white shirts I own (one is a white OCBD and the other is a Lacoste polo): I noticed--for lack of a better way to describe it--what appears to be oil blotches or stains on various parts of the shirts.

I've had both of these shirts for a long time now and they've both been laundered hundreds of times over the years. If I were to guess what caused these mysterious oil blotches, I would say they came from the perspiration of my socks which I toss into the same hamper as my shirts and the sweat from my socks, I assume, soaked into the white shirts.

Does anyone else notice this happening on their white shirts?

I can't see these stains unless I look really closely and only when I hold them up to the light.

I'm thinking of tossing these shirts since the oil blotches are very obvious now that I know they're there.

My previous washing machine developed a leak in which it emited stains that showed up on whites from time to time. It took a couple of washes or so before I realized where the stains were coming from. Unfortunately, a few shirts were ruined.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never wash with other colors, I like to use oxy clean for my whites. It really helps the shirts to keep their color.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now do the occasional diluted vinegar soak followed by oxyclean (or other brands of the same Oxy stuff) soak treatments (I've only done this twice, though it worked great but not perfectly both times). My particular treatment is the one suggested by putthison web site, (soak #1 - cup of vinegar mixed with gallon of hot water for maybe an hour or two; step #2 brush/scrub troublesome stains with something like a scoop of oxyclean and cup of hotwater, leave solution for maybe a couple hours; soak #3 - scoop of oxyclean and gallon or two of hot water and soak for 3 hours to overnight). But you can change around with the concentrations and quantities as needed and skip the brush/scrub intermediate step if not need.

In between soak treatments, I'm just adding a scoop of oxyclean to my normal laundry with Tide detergent when I launder the shirts. I think that helps to prevent build up.

I had previously just laundered normally and had been wearing extra strength antiperspirants and just retiring the shirts as the antiperspirant stained them, but the vinegar/oxyclean treatment pretty much brought all my old shirts back out of retirement. Now I have a pretty full closet of shirts where the white just pops out, which is why I've given up on buying stuff (no space for more stuff, quite a few old shirts looking better and back in the rotation).

One thing I've noticed (or at least think I noticed) is that the vinegar plus oxyclean soaks seem to make my non-iron shirts a lot less stiff (but they still hold a great press compared to must iron). Just not as stiff as I remember them being, compared to must-iron shirts. I think the soaks might wear away at the non-iron coating.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Are we?

maybe?

I had white shirts that got unremovable, unpleasant underarm buildup, this problem ceased when I stopped using anti-persperant.

Nowadays I'll occasionally get a bit of a stain if I sweat a lot in a shirt, this seems to come out easy with a little attention when laundering.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
maybe?

I had white shirts that got unremovable, unpleasant underarm buildup, this problem ceased when I stopped using anti-persperant.

Nowadays I'll occasionally get a bit of a stain if I sweat a lot in a shirt, this seems to come out easy with a little attention when laundering.

Same thing happened to me, I switched to the natural DO and that cured the issue.

jeffersonmc

Reaction score
I used to toss white t-shirts on the regular (and a couple white lacoste and R.L. polos too) due to staining. I switched to a combination of Crystal underarm stick and a Weleda natural spray and no problems since. Never a yellow armpit any longer. And the combo of the 2 holds up excellent even when bundled up in the winter or in the hot summer. Regular wash with other whites.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads