• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you deal with pit stains?

beanmachine314

Reaction score
I have a problem where all my white shirts are stained under the arms. It's not yellow like aluminum staining, as I don't wear aluminum based deoderants. All my shirts just look a bit grungy under the arms. I bathe at least once a day (before putting on my clothes), washing machine gets cleaned when it tells us it needs it, and I always wash in cold water and hang dry. I don't really want to get away from white shirts but I'm not sure what to do. Shout and bleach every time I wash? That helps but it seems awfully rough on the shirts to bleach every single time. Lower the armholes? Then the shirts aren't comfortable and I can't move around.

nevaeh

Reaction score
I have a problem where all my white shirts are stained under the arms. It's not yellow like aluminum staining, as I don't wear aluminum based deoderants. All my shirts just look a bit grungy under the arms. I bathe at least once a day (before putting on my clothes), washing machine gets cleaned when it tells us it needs it, and I always wash in cold water and hang dry. I don't really want to get away from white shirts but I'm not sure what to do. Shout and bleach every time I wash? That helps but it seems awfully rough on the shirts to bleach every single time. Lower the armholes? Then the shirts aren't comfortable and I can't move around.
Do you pre-treat the underarm area before the wash? Try spraying Spray n Wash or Shout around the underarms, collar, and cuffs. Also, presoak. In a tub or bucket, add a small amount of detergent and some water. Leave your shirts in the detergent solution overnight before you toss them in the washer.

I never use bleach.

beanmachine314

Reaction score
Do you pre-treat the underarm area before the wash? Try spraying Spray n Wash or Shout around the underarms, collar, and cuffs. Also, presoak. In a tub or bucket, add a small amount of detergent and some water. Leave your shirts in the detergent solution overnight before you toss them in the washer.

I never use bleach.

I usually have to use Shout on the underarms every time I wash. It seems like it builds up if I don't use Shout everytime and takes more washes to get rid of it. I'll try pre-soaking and see how that works. Thanks

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Puracy works like magic and it's relatively inexpensive.
I use it specifically for my white shirts.
1663888142185.png

nevaeh

Reaction score

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Undershirts work to prevent pit stains for me. I run pretty hot and sweat quite a bit. My local climate is hot and humid af for the summer so I don't dry out if walking around outside. In spite of all of this, I've not had an issue.

When stains get particularly bad, I use oxyclean. That has prolonged the life of my entire shirt closet!

Kansai22

Reaction score
How good of a job does that t-shirt do absorbing swear, so that it doesn't turn into an underarm puddle on the outer shirt? Been looking for a better undershirt.

These t-shirts do a great job of absorbing sweat. I was getting to the point where I could not wear dark color dress shirts because of sweat stains. Sweat does not get through these t-shirts to your dress shirts so this will completely avoid yellowing issues.

Now if its an extremely hot summer day and you are sweating it will get through the t shirt but under normal extreme sweating circumstances you will be OK. No deodorant will get through even if you manage to sweat through the t-shirt pads.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shave

beanmachine314

Reaction score
The best clothing purchase I have ever made.

Thompson Tee Slim sweat proof fit undershirt
https://thompsontee.com/men/sweat-proof-shirt-slimfit-bamboo-v-neck.html

Besides this a mixture of vinegar sprayed under the arms of my shirts before they are washed.

How good of a job does that t-shirt do absorbing swear, so that it doesn't turn into an underarm puddle on the outer shirt? Been looking for a better undershirt.

Also, are these not significantly warmer than a light undershirt? I've basically been relegated to either wool ($$$) or the Uniqlo super lightweight undershirts. I live in the south so anytime between April and October I usually have some sort of underarm sweat all the time, it's just impossible with the humidity.

Undershirts work to prevent pit stains for me. I run pretty hot and sweat quite a bit. My local climate is hot and humid af for the summer so I don't dry out if walking around outside. In spite of all of this, I've not had an issue.

When stains get particularly bad, I use oxyclean. That has prolonged the life of my entire shirt closet!

I've not found an undershirt that actually keeps sweating from getting to my nice shirts. They slow it down, but by the end of the day they are always a bit moist. What I don't understand is my 100% nylon shirts that I wear for work don't ever have this problem and I wear only 3 shirts for 3 weeks with only hand washing in between.

beanmachine314

Reaction score

I've been at the point of holding the razor up to my pits several times over the past couple years, but each time I decide to ask the wife and she is against it. It may just be time to give it a shot. Especially if it keeps my shirts decent longer.

Goodlander

Reaction score
All stains need product AND duration. Google Jolie Kerr, she has great tips, but the best and most effective is the “long soak”, with the right temp water and product (oxygen bleach/Oxi or a white vinegar and detergent combo, IME).

I will leave shirts soaking for 12-24 hours in the machine or an (otherwise clean) bucket, gets almost everything out, and strips away other buildup. Run an extra rinse and it can wind up a pretty amazing transformation.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been at the point of holding the razor up to my pits several times over the past couple years, but each time I decide to ask the wife and she is against it. It may just be time to give it a shot. Especially if it keeps my shirts decent longer.
Manscaping has several benefits. You won’t sweat as much. You won’t need as much deodorant because there is less bacterial build up and the deodorant applies better.

swooc

Reaction score
ive tried pretty much everything google has to offer. pre-treat with oxiclean or baking soda and a long soak with detergent worked best for me. but it wasnt really a solution. it got to a point where my shirts eventually get built up with a thick caked on layer of sweat and deodorant.

what stopped this was going to a much stronger 20% aluminium based anti perspirant (note that this is different to a deodorant) to address the issue at its core. i know aluminium based anti perspirant gets a bad wrap, but this stronger stuff actually stopped my sweating. knowing the health concerns, i used it sparingly. i started off applying once every week, then a couple of weeks, then a month. now i can go on several months without it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics