• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

dinogj

Reaction score
I was lazy today and I wore sweatpants and went to the supermarket to pick up some stuff for a BBQ.
The cash register lady was sad because I wasnt dressed as well as I always was...It was a compliment of sorts, but it made me feel very uncomfortable in my sweatpants. It was an interesting realization that I was more mentally comfortable in my chinos than in sweatpants and a t-shirt. Felt like being in my underwear.

anyone else experience this kind of thing?

Wupper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Me: "Why do you care about my clothes when you don't care about your own?"
worship.gif

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love both of these:

"Why do you care about my clothes when you don't care about your own?"

Originally Posted by e0d9n0b5
-haha you like all black?
-huh?
-all black, you seem to like black
-i dont understand..
-do you like all black?
-uh, what? huh?

Toasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
Short version: wearing sweatpants while out and about felt like wearing one's underwear out of the horse. Discuss.

Tried it once; never doing it again. It just doesn't feel quite right.

To the original point: A strong majority of the people I meet approve of fitted clothing, cardigans, sweaters, chinos, ties, casual suits, and other things that evidently might not go over quite as well elsewhere. I'd list more, but I can't think of other examples.

Oh, and most girls I've met -love- bow ties. I swear, with some of them it's like a fetish.

Actually, I somehow ended up in a conversation wherein my female compatriot stated very clearly, "Tuxedos have bow ties. No bow tie, no tux." Most certainly didn't expect that to come up.

morox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
By the way, do people really get that much trouble about the way they dress from strangers/friends? I get the feeling that in those cases people probably aren't well dressed...

I bought a pair of sweats that come down to my calves and apparently they are capris, according to my cousin.

This guy walks around town in his pajama pants. My one friend who doesn't dress like total **** also thought they were very "gay".

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by morox
I bought a pair of sweats that come down to my calves and apparently they are capris, according to my cousin.

That's kinda the name for pants that come down to mid calf. And unless they're white linen and you're screwing around on a beach in the middle of summer, you should avoid them. If there's anything that's a 'pros only' item in menswear, that's it.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comments I received this weekend:

MMM painted sneakers ~
"What happened to your shoes, they're all dirty?"

IS unfinished hem tee ~
"Hey, are you wearing your shirt inside out?"

morox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
That's kinda the name for pants that come down to mid calf. And unless they're white linen and you're screwing around on a beach in the middle of summer, you should avoid them. If there's anything that's a 'pros only' item in menswear, that's it.

Basically these but without the logo:

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/dangoon-c...pid.1022752967

I don't see anything that indicates it's a "pros only" article of clothing. But yes, I lounged around my cabin at the lake with them.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At work yesterday:
Coworker: "Nice gay shirt!" (from afar, commenting on a gray v-neck t)
Me: "Nice gay shirt."
Him: "Nice gay shirt."
Me: "Nice gay shirt."
Him: "That's an interesting shirt, very gay." (Closer)
Me: "Why do you care about my clothes when you don't care about your own?" (followed by air punch and OOOH YEAH)
Him: "well... really I like how it shows off your cleavage."
Me: "Hey if you've got it, flaunt it. And if you don't got it, wear whatever the ******* is you're wearing."
*He leaves*
Me: I WIN THIS ROUND, FRIEND.

ohsnap.jpg

givemefive

Reaction score
If you ever want to see some horrible style drop by the San Jose Airport

Tons of nerdy business men with an awful sense of smile.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
I was lazy today and I wore sweatpants and went to the supermarket to pick up some stuff for a BBQ.
The cash register lady was sad because I wasnt dressed as well as I always was...It was a compliment of sorts, but it made me feel very uncomfortable in my sweatpants. It was an interesting realization that I was more mentally comfortable in my chinos than in sweatpants and a t-shirt. Felt like being in my underwear.

anyone else experience this kind of thing?

i know what you mean, one time during the summer i was lounging around in my room in gym shorts and a white hanes t-shirt because it was goddamn hot, and my roommate asked for my help putting a new battery in his car, so i didnt change, but immediately after we went to the store and i felt like i was walking around in my underwear, even though everyone else was pretty much wearing the same thing.

I also bought a wool coat while we were out because it was on deep discount and would be perfect for winter, i bet i looked stupid in gym shorts and a t-shirt trying on wool coats.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At work yesterday: Coworker: "Nice gay shirt!" (from afar, commenting on a gray v-neck t) Me: "Nice gay shirt." Him: "Nice gay shirt." Me: "Nice gay shirt." Him: "That's an interesting shirt, very gay." (Closer) Me: "Why do you care about my clothes when you don't care about your own?" (followed by air punch and OOOH YEAH) Him: "well... really I like how it shows off your cleavage." Me: "Hey if you've got it, flaunt it. And if you don't got it, wear whatever the ******* is you're wearing." *He leaves* Me: I WIN THIS ROUND, FRIEND.
Eason jockin my line
Originally Posted by bows1
Yeah its pretty awesome when someone rips on your clothes and you say something to the effect of, "Why do you care how I dress? You obviously don't care about the way you do." zing

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, I am going to figure out an excuse to say, "That's a very interesting shirt, very... gay." Because that is the funniest thing, it is the funniest thing.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueWord
I hope you don't mine, Uncontrol, but I'm going to use you as an example. Some people probably think otherwise, but the guy clearly has a good idea of the look he's going for, and nails it consistently. It's not something I think I could pull off, or even most people could, but he does it, and does it well. Now, I'm making an assumption here, but I'd say that a look so distinctive has a much higher chance of being commented on; but does that mean he dresses poorly? It's a matter of opinion, of course, but my own answer would be "Absolutely not". He just has a very keen sense of personal style, and it stands out - which is what I think most of us here aim for, anyway.

since i moved to montreal i get pretty much nothing but compliments

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads