• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hope to take a vacation this December, where to go?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
pollution, crime, its ugly, you have to carry your backpack on your front, weather is basically crap, ripoff merchants everywhere, nothing really to do other than cheap hookers/massages/tailors (which admittedly there is sometihng to be said for all three, but all three can be had elsewhere in Asia), air you choke on, I think a better question is other than a short train ride to HK (and HK day trippers enjoying cheaper shopping accordingly), 'what's good about Shenzhen?'

This pretty much sums it up...http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/...s/shenzhen.php

Sounds a lot like LA, NY and DC. Every major city has it's good and bad points.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've always found Turkmenistan interesting. You get to see Niyazov's vainglorious legacy.

I forget, have you been to Turkmenistan? It interests me as well.

oneblood

Reaction score
I've always found Turkmenistan interesting. You get to see Niyazov's vainglorious legacy.
+1
However I would recommend visiting Turkmenistan in the month of Gurbansoltan (April) when the Turkmen landscape is at its finest.

R.I.P. His Excellency Saparmurat Niyazov Türkmenbaşy, President of Turkmenistan and Chairman of the Cabinet of Ministers, Leader of all Turkmens.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Turkmen media referred to him using the title "His Excellency Saparmurat Niyazov Türkmenbaşy, President of Turkmenistan and Chairman of the Cabinet of Ministers".

Given its proximity to Iran and Afghanistan, I think I'll pass.

Anyone ever go to Borat's home of Kazakhstan?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I'm open to almost anything. I'd like to find somewhere that's not going to be unbearably hot, and somewhere where I won't get completely reamed on the exchange rate, if that's even possible. I'll probably have around two weeks.

The choice is easy: Bucyrus, OH. You'll thank me later.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My co-worker's wife's parents are from Tiffin, and that's the closest I ever want to get to Bucyrus.

lithium180

Reaction score
I am also currently working on travel plans for December. I want to go somewhere with a beach, good weather, spicy food, loose conceptions of time, and pretty girls so I am thinking South America. Cartegena in Colombia is well regarded (for several local amenities. Also looking at Lima, Peru and Buenos Aires.

And thinking about Rio for Carnaval in February
inlove.gif

What are you looking for in a December vacation OP?

Originally Posted by tiecollector
Turkmen media referred to him using the title "His Excellency Saparmurat Niyazov Türkmenbaşy, President of Turkmenistan and Chairman of the Cabinet of Ministers".

Given its proximity to Iran and Afghanistan, I think I'll pass.

Anyone ever go to Borat's home of Kazakhstan?

I am planning to take a StanTour when I save up enough money and take a long backpacking trip about 2 years from now. Hoping to do Russia, Khazakstan, Uzbekistan, Mongolia and then in to China and beyond. Central Asia fascinates me no end. (Side note: currently reading a book called "the great game" about 19th century spy action to conquer the region. great fun
smile.gif
)

My understanding is that Turkmenistan is not too receptive to granting Western tourist visas these days..?

athletics

Reaction score
I agree with the Argentina suggestions. Mostly bc the dollar and the weather.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
I am also currently working on travel plans for December. I want to go somewhere with a beach, good weather, spicy food, loose conceptions of time, and pretty girls so I am thinking South America. Cartegena in Colombia is well regarded (for several local amenities. Also looking at Lima, Peru and Buenos Aires.

If you're going to peru and you have limited time, spend as little of it in Lima as possible. Go to cusco and from there the sacred valley and machu picchu. The jungle can be fun as well. I took a taxi through lima and that was enough for me.

Histrion

Reaction score
How tough is it to get around in B.A. when your Spanish is limited to 'Que hora es?' and 'Una cerveza por favor'? I'm also looking for a destination in December/January.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bring a phrase book and you'll be fine. I took an intro spanish course before i went to peru but it was pretty lousy as there wasn't much focus on actually speaking so I wasn't a whole lot better-off than you would be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics