• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheColonel

Reaction score

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alan Bee said he would pay good money to see me in high-rising trousers. Fellow SFers, which charity should we ask him to send the money to? (quality of the pics sucks. Just moved into a new office and need to find the proper space for it. Bear with me, please.).

View attachment 1235445 View attachment 1235446
View attachment 1235450
@bernoulli

And the professor did in fact come through. Brilliant!!

Please send me details on that favorite charity of yours .... :)

Alan Bee

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alan Bee said he would pay good money to see me in high-rising trousers. Fellow SFers, which charity should we ask him to send the money to? (quality of the pics sucks. Just moved into a new office and need to find the proper space for it. Bear with me, please.).

View attachment 1235445 View attachment 1235446
View attachment 1235450
The trousers look great. I think the high waist creates a nice shirt to trouser ratio. The drape is good. Nothing wrong with these, but I'd be curious how you look in pants with a fuller leg.

Thanks to all who have provided valuable advice so far... I believe I am improving over time.

I don't know why the trouser colour is so saturated in the image, it is quite muted to the naked eye.

View attachment 1235507
I think this jacket fits you much better than others you've posted here. Still not the best, but much improved. The collar on the shirt is much too small for a tie. It's difficult to tell the texture of the fabrics, but I feel the jacket texture is too formal for the casual shirt and pants.

That is a lovely jacket. Where is it from? I think the shirt is too busy for the jacket though.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alan Bee Here is why I disfavor high-rising trousers *for me*. Look at the harmony of a well-cut pair of trousers on a lamp-post like myself. I am not trying to beat a dead horse, I am simply engaging in what has been a fruitful discussion for me. After all, you are one of the reasons that I commissioned a pair of high-rising trousers in the first place (see the kind of influence you have on SF?). I did it. I feel it did not work. I moved on. PS: I am wearing boots because there is a typhoon alert and it is raining like crazy. I wouldn't favor boots with this otherwise conservative ensemble. I will change into more appropriate footwear for my forthcoming meeting.
IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG IMG_2827.JPG

Last edited:

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alan Bee Here is why I disfavor high-rising trousers *for me*. Look at the harmony of a well-cut pair of trousers on a lamp-post like myself. I am not trying to beat a dead horse, I am simply engaging in what has been a fruitful discussion for me. After all, you are one of the reasons that I commissioned a pair of high-rising trousers in the first place (see the kind of influence you have on SF?). I did it. I feel it did not work. I moved on. PS: I am wearing boots because there is a typhoon alert and it is raining like crazy. I wouldn't favor boots with this otherwise conservative ensemble. I will change into more appropriate footwear for my forthcoming meeting.

View attachment 1235975 View attachment 1235973 View attachment 1235974
@bernoulli

Professor Bern, let me first off congratulate you on an excellent pair of trousers.

I strongly beg to differ that those trousers dont look good on you. In fact, as @An Acute Style did intimate in an earlier response, I’d like to see or imagine them cut a bit fuller through the legs and with a wider leg opening.

To my mind and eyes, these trousers compliment your “lamp post” frame far better than close fitting trousers with a narrow hem. Honest truth!

Please try it. Either have another pair cut fuller, or have your alterations guy open up the legs of these trousers.

In terms of proportions, this higher rise I feel balances out your top/bottom ratio far far better than low rise pants. Have a look at the marked up photo. If you include your head and neck, you’ll see that the waist band of these trousers intersect your frame very accurately right in the middle. A very balanced silhouette.

I’m really really excited. So much in fact I’ve got my check book on my desk write now and about to stroke my pen ? benefit of that favorite charity of yours ?

Alan Bee

8FEC3957-E5E2-46BB-A5E3-55A03B32D868.png

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @Alan Bee, this pair of trousers you seem to like it is the low-rise trousers! The high-rise trousers I posted yesterday. I wholeheartedly agree that low-rising suits me well and the balances is perfect, as you showed with the marking. I will post, in the next few days, a pair of trousers that is cut fuller. It may be that the optimal combination is low-rise, fuller trousers. For that alone, thank you very much.

As for a charity, the Red Cross does as good a job as any. Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has been fighting the good fight against ebola in Africa and could also be supported.

@bernoulli

Professor Bern, let me first off congratulate you on an excellent pair of trousers.

I strongly beg to differ that those trousers dont look good on you. In fact, as @An Acute Style did intimate in an earlier response, I’d like to see or imagine them cut a bit fuller through the legs and with a wider leg opening.

To my mind and eyes, these trousers compliment your “lamp post” frame far better than close fitting trousers with a narrow hem. Honest truth!

Please try it. Either have another pair cut fuller, or have your alterations guy open up the legs of these trousers.

In terms of proportions, this higher rise I feel balances out your top/bottom ratio far far better than low rise pants. Have a look at the marked up photo. If you include your head and neck, you’ll see that the waist band of these trousers intersect your frame very accurately right in the middle. A very balanced silhouette.

I’m really really excited. So much in fact I’ve got my check book on my desk write now and about to stroke my pen ? benefit of that favorite charity of yours ?

Alan Bee

View attachment 1236021

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @Alan Bee, this pair of trousers you seem to like it is the low-rise trousers! The high-rise trousers I posted yesterday. I wholeheartedly agree that low-rising suits me well and the balances is perfect, as you showed with the marking. I will post, in the next few days, a pair of trousers that is cut fuller. It may be that the optimal combination is low-rise, fuller trousers. For that alone, thank you very much.

As for a charity, the Red Cross does as good a job as any. Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has been fighting the good fight against ebola in Africa and could also be supported.
I preferred the higher rise trousers but found them looking too tight. Looking forward to the next stage of the experiment...

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
I think this jacket fits you much better than others you've posted here. Still not the best, but much improved. The collar on the shirt is much too small for a tie. It's difficult to tell the texture of the fabrics, but I feel the jacket texture is too formal for the casual shirt and pants.

How can I further improve jacket fit?

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be a shower-y day here this afternoon here in NYC, and I've donned a "rain suit" for the occasion - something presentable enough in appearance, but cheaply sourced. At least it is cool enough in NYC to be suited up comfortably again.

Suit - Joseph A Bank
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - JAB
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, London
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Finsbury, Paris

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0372.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads