• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I might be biased, heavily so, but as you implicitly invite me to expand my propaganda campaign for ties I shall happily oblige :p

The problem with no tie and a jacket, particularly with a heavier jacket, is that it messes with the shirt collar which gets squeezed in all kinds of unsightly positions. The entire jacket's weight, structured or not, hangs (in part, but a great part) on the neck/shoulders. Some may argue sprezz but given how much thought you put in your look, why give it up at the focal and most important point that pulls it all together? The tie gives it structure and anchors the whole thing.

Button down collars seem like an obvious solution: holding the collar points up, they stop the collar (in theory) from sliding under the jacket. But instead what you get is a strange pull of the shirt open, where it would just naturally roll open sans jacket:

View attachment 1073708

View attachment 1073709

Given your shoulder structure and this particular tweed it is doubly the case. I see you even got an extremely large collar made, with two buttons to close it.

And lo and behold, look how much more relaxed and natural you look once the tie pulls the collar together and the jacket can simply rest on top, instead of fighting it:

View attachment 1073710

Now a case can be made for long ties to get in the way of weekend activities. This is what the bow tie was invented for. You still get structure, a focal point, an anchor, closure of the collar, but you can hold the toddler in your arms or bend forwards to grab more BBQ safely. Alternatively, and definitely an option given the weather where you are and your shape, jacket-less is a nice alternative...

Jonathan, I would argue that it is with a technical jacket (e.g. Norfolk) that ties really shine. There is a bold intentional aspect to the thing that, aside from considerations of solidity, welcome those who deviate from the Jeremy Clarkson look.

@am55

Quite a dissertation my friend. Having come to know you better, I would expect no less.

Not sure where to start but in summary, I see your point. The last picture I took just seems more tidy. The tie just seems to “tie” everything up nicely.

1A6BC7E7-DE8D-48BA-9305-CE69110A3B1D.jpeg

I can also see how a tieless look may be useful here. As you rightly pointed out, the Half Norfolk is a highly technical garment. One could make the argument that a tie would be “too much”, complicating an already complicated ensemble.

One more school of thought is, a tie makes the outfit look rather anachronistic and not contemporary enough. In that last picture with the block rep striped tie, I might be mistaken for Lord Mountbatten. I’m not sure that’s the message I’m going for.

Nevertheless, both you and @jonathanS make very persuasive arguments for your respective positions.

Alan Bee

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@am55

Quite a dissertation my friend. Having come to know you better, I would expect no less.

Not sure where to start but in summary, I see your point. The last picture I took just seems more tidy. The tie just seems to “tie” everything up nicely.

View attachment 1073844

I can also see how a tieless look may be useful here. As you rightly pointed out, the Half Norfolk is a highly technical garment. One could make the argument that a tie would be “too much”, complicating an already complicated ensemble.

One more school of thought is, a tie makes the look rather anachronistic and not contemporary enough. In that last picture with the block rep striped tie, I might be mistaken for Lord Mountbatten. I’m not sure that’s the message I’m going for.

Nevertheless, both you and @jonathanS make very persuasive arguments for your respective positions.

Alan Bee
Fear not Monsieur Alain, your lack of a pencil neck puts you closer to Viscount Slim, and that is an eminently commendable person to seek inspiration from. In any case so long as one does not imitate Orde Wingate's garlic outfit from the same campaign...

I fear I was not clear enough. I think there are either occasions to wear a jacket, or not. If jacket is worn, then a tie always improves things. If jacket is not worn, then there are plenty of other options that avoid that halfway in between, greying and paunching father at parent-teacher meeting Jeremy Clarkson impression. The Trucker Challenge for example has many better options... for a temperate climate.

But given that the lowest Abu Dhabi gets is 24 Celsius (we shan't be barbarians and use the unscientific scale) if one were to be "casual" one may as well be properly casual, in short sleeves and trousers. Your choice of wearing structured wool clothing on the weekend, therefore, should be fully embraced, and doubly so if you have designed the piece yourself.

Unless of course...

upload_2018-11-18_15-12-11.png

SGTROCK

Reaction score
@am55

View attachment 1073844

One more school of thought is, a tie makes the outfit look rather anachronistic and not contemporary enough. In that last picture with the block rep striped tie, I might be mistaken for Lord Mountbatten. I’m not sure that’s the message I’m going for.

Alan Bee

SGTROCK

Reaction score
I decided to get away from the no tie look when I started getting comments from people that I looked like Scarface;maybe it was the pinky rings and gold chains. I did adopt wearing a Cravat with all dress shirts when no tie is worn. Living in Cuba this proved to be a great alternative to the tie and much more comfortable. It gives a unique look that presents a rugged, individualist yet sophisticated look that people cannot really put their finger on.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FALL SERIES (Cont’d)

Weekend Gear:

W. Bill Irish Donegal over mid gray flannel.

nb. Necktie added for benefit of @am55

Alan Bee

View attachment 1073403 View attachment 1073375 View attachment 1073376 View attachment 1073377

View attachment 1073422
I love the front of the jacket. The real half belt on the back is something I’ve only ever seen on outerwear. It looks out of place to me on a sport coat. I think it would look better with a faux half belted back. The back treatment makes it too casual to wear with a tie IMO especially with the inverted pleat. Maybe a knit tie at most.

Re: the painting. The one with the man trying to “grab” the lady in your third pic.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yep, then the second.

Then divorce, and everything is back in order. :-D

We’re not having kids, so I guess we’ll skip the divorce as well :)

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ericgereghty

Eric, it would be useful, not just to me but all readers, if you would articulate in more specific terms, what you “hate” about the jacket’s design.

Isn’t that the point of peer review? :bigstar:

Alan Bee
Can't really provide nothing more useful than that. I strongly dislike bellows pockets, and the back detailing looks a combination of out of place and visually unappealing. There's nothing wrong with the look, per se; it simply isn't for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads