• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the sleeve opening is a bit wide. I would slim the sleeves. The body looks relaxed, but not shapeless. I would leave it as is.

You mean the opening at the wrist, based on the left sleeve? I think that's just a function of the way I'm turned to the camera and how I have my arms bent. Sleeve width isn't a fit issue, per se. It's a stylistic detail, with the caveat that many OTR suits have sleeves so wide that they make for a poor silhouette. Again, I think the apparent width of the left sleeve is a function of the camera. The sleeves aren't particularly full, as shown by comparing left and right--but even if they were, that wouldn't really be an issue of fit. Shaped but relaxed is exactly what I like.

ETA: Even in the photo, personally I think the width of left sleeve is proportional and quite pleasant, but people look at these things differently.

Last edited:

SprezzaTrash

Reaction score
Obtained one of my grail suits: a 1930's SB suit with patch pockets. I don't really wear full true vintage (1930s-1940s) outfits to things other than special events, but I couldn't pass this one up. We don't make lapels like this anymore!

S1Cbjpn.jpg

yGyio8i.jpg

Will probably use this as the template for my future bespoke commission, though I will definitely opt for natural shoulders and narrower trousers.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean the opening at the wrist, based on the left sleeve? I think that's just a function of the way I'm turned to the camera and how I have my arms bent. Sleeve width isn't a fit issue, per se. It's a stylistic detail, with the caveat that many OTR suits have sleeves so wide that they make for a poor silhouette. Again, I think the apparent width of the left sleeve is a function of the camera. The sleeves aren't particularly full, as shown by comparing left and right--but even if they were, that wouldn't really be an issue of fit. Shaped but relaxed is exactly what I like.

ETA: Even in the photo, personally I think the width of left sleeve is proportional and quite pleasant, but people look at these things differently.
It's actually the right sleeve that caught my eye. I trust your opinion on the fit. Pics can be deceiving.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obtained one of my grail suits: a 1930's SB suit with patch pockets. I don't really wear full true vintage (1930s-1940s) outfits to things other than special events, but I couldn't pass this one up. We don't make lapels like this anymore!

S1Cbjpn.jpg

yGyio8i.jpg

Will probably use this as the template for my future bespoke commission, though I will definitely opt for natural shoulders and narrower trousers.
I like the fit of the suit, but am not crazy about the pattern. What else is on this grail list?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the lower arm might be looking a bit blousy in relation to the upper arm. That said, it's also entirely possible slimming reduces comfort. If I had to go one way, I'd advocate slightly widening the upper portion of the sleeve.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A "Piece-Of-A-Person" (with pink champagne and a chocolate chip cookie) picture showing the importance of matching what you are drinking (pink champagne in this case) to something you are wearing (pink and white gingham shirt in this case).

P1100168 2.JPG

A "Whole Person" (with Hermes handbags) picture earlier in the day.

P1100165 2.JPG

Brooks Brothers blue blazer, BB#1 stripe tie, and pink and white gingham PPBD shirt, Gucci pocket square, Leatherman patchwork Madras belt, Orvis trousers, and Allen-Edmonds walnut Strands.

SprezzaTrash

Reaction score
I like the fit of the suit, but am not crazy about the pattern. What else is on this grail list?

I’m not either (but I love the deep brown/purple). Like UrbanComposition said a while ago, they really did like triple stripe fabrics. I personally like plain, single stripes, and windowpanes. But hey, I ain’t complaining.

Most of my grail suits involve lapels like this (since again, it’s very specific) but bellow pockets and action backs (on SbS and DBs) dominate the list.

I’ll say again, most of my true Vintage (20s-40s) choices are picked due to lapels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads