• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wait til they get a load of me. :lol:
I really like this outfit. 6 patterns. 5 up top and herringbone pants. I’ve been really intrigued about wearing dark shirts with ties since bingeing Seinfeld.

View attachment 1887303
View attachment 1887295
View attachment 1887297
View attachment 1887299
View attachment 1887301
View attachment 1887305
The cardigan is what ruins it for me. I mean, I’d definitely prefer a solid knit tie, but trying to meet you where you are, the cardigan what I’d change.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you mean they should be wider, if anything?
They look very slim and like they’re catching on your leg at multiple points. A fuller trouser would balance your lower body with your jacket.

One risk of wearing slim fitting trousers with a jacket is looking like an emu.
73C26BB3-8D71-44C5-87AD-8CFED74A1F39.jpeg

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you mean they should be wider, if anything?
Remember that you aren't wearing skinny jeans and a t shirt (albeit the super skinny is a fad that will go at some point). A lot of classic menswear from what I have gathered is to bring the body into balance and create a silhouette that is mirrored on top and bottom. In the current state you are not achieving this and falling prey to fast fashion for your trousers. I understand this pull since I have thinner toned legs myself and fall prey to it myself for a few casual outfits. The remedy for me is to look at a skinny trouser and go one style up in relaxing the fit. Sometimes that is slim in a brand in others it is slim straight. For you it may be more. Any slimmer than that and I look like this….no bueno
1675412624711.jpeg

dapperdesertdweller

Reaction score
@Heykal i found this handy infographic about a year ago & it’s been super useful not only for proportion of the fit but where the trousers should sit on one’s body. I’m a shorter guy, slimmer guy (5’9, 150lbs) & find the classic fit not tapered enough & the skinny fit far too tapered, the slim fit is usually a safe bet but if the pants are worth it, it never hurts to talk to an alterations tailor & have pants let out/in some.
3EF0B1C4-DAB4-4E8A-9838-C4EDD20402F6.png

Heykal

Reaction score
@Heykal i found this handy infographic about a year ago & it’s been super useful not only for proportion of the fit but where the trousers should sit on one’s body. I’m a shorter guy, slimmer guy (5’9, 150lbs) & find the classic fit not tapered enough & the skinny fit far too tapered, the slim fit is usually a safe bet but if the pants are worth it, it never hurts to talk to an alterations tailor & have pants let out/in some. View attachment 1887649
Awesome, thank you!

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I last posted - did ya miss me?

I was in London and Granada, Spain between the 14th of January and the 29th, and only today have had the opportunity to dress up. I've featured a good deal of the swag from the London portion of the trip in today's posting, along with two "lifestyle" photos from a white tie dinner I attended at a private club in St. James (the "fit" photo has less than flattering lighting - the lighting scheme in my hotel room leaned heavily towards the "dramatic", i.e. dark. Finding enough light to capture an image meant standing directly below a can light. ).

The suit, and the two pairs of shoes are new, as is the hat. My initial reaction to the suit was that the jacket was too long, but its length is beginning to grow on me - I will leave it along for the present, at least.

It's also quite cold here in NYC - perfect weather to wear my camel hair polo coat.

Suit - Oliver Brown, London
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - New & Lingwood, London
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Crockett & Jones - Weymouth (brogued wholecuts), Tunbridge (austerity brogues)
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Laird Hatters, London

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1034.JPG

20230128_17.10.32_Pixel 7 Pro_PXL_20230128_171032423.NIGHT.jpg
20230128_22.34.54_SM-N986B_20230128_223454.jpg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tree and me in Colorado Center Park on Broadway and 26th in Santa Monica CA.

IMG_4336 2.jpeg

Still wearing the same things I have been wearing for more than two weeks since I am still in a hotel waiting for the landlord to remove the tree that fell through the ceiling and to have the power reconnected. Those of us who have renter's insurance are fortunate we do.

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket and BB#1 stripe bow tie, L L Bean OCBD shirt and corduroy trousers, Lyle & Scott Fair Isle sweater vest, generic pocket square, and Allen-Edmonds suede shoes.

Once again went to Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica. I am trying to keep my left eye open since my eye surgery on January 4th.

A Kir Royale, Coronation Chicken sandwiches, a scone, tea, and me in the Tea Room at Ye Olde King's Head.

IMG_4357.jpeg

Some Santa Monica cats have weird names.

IMG_4361.jpeg

Since I enjoy being outside and walking around, walked from the hotel to Ye Olde King's Head and back. It was 30 blocks in each direction. Took two hours in each direction. It was uphill coming back.

Close up of the shoes I wore.

IMG_4360.jpeg

They are Allen-Edmonds Brogue Suede Strands. They are the first shoes Allen-Edmonds offered with Dainite soles. They are very comfortable to wear when walking around a lot.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads