• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made the switch to the fall/winter wardrobe.

AD2873F0-5C0F-410A-A490-A45FDB400D7D.jpeg
2DD4903B-CB5A-44B9-9BEE-2A5B9F696548.jpeg
8953354E-206A-4B91-8062-2872B56D1210.jpeg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all the days it decided to rain this week in NYC, it had to be today, a day on which I needed to be dressed for a luncheon for the Frick museum, and thus needed to be at least halfway presentable. Happily, I missed most of the raindrops en route to the lunch venue, and it stopped raining by the time that lunch had ended, though still it was unbearably humid.

With that in mind, today's suit is a summer weight suit, soon to visit the dry cleaner for the season, and not my best pair of shoes, though serviceable enough with this ensemble. I believe I escaped notice by the fashion police.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - Albert Thurston, via Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Florsheim Royal Imperial (Magnanni manufacture)

IMG_20210928_104412.jpg

IMG_20210927_221141.jpg
IMG_20210928_103704.jpg
IMG_20210928_104023.jpg
IMG_20210928_104138.jpg
IMG_20210928_104240.jpg

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We still had some nice weather today, so mixing up fabrics a bit with these Luxire linen trousers, and Amidé Hadelin loden tie and madder braces.

4A81858A-99BC-4939-A0B8-351C1C2C3419.jpeg
1AE00770-51A6-4B49-9942-0CEBC2290B1A.jpeg
1498A219-AF7F-4EC7-BFD0-44C7DEA5B0C4.jpeg
D156D662-D1AE-4F96-8017-4A37885CE3A7.jpeg
A87F7F10-E43A-4BAF-9687-57B18411DB39.jpeg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the Hollywood Tower Apartments on Franklin Avenue in Hollywood CA.

IMG_7405.jpeg

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, OCBD shirt, BB#1 stripe tie, and pocket square, Trafalgar brown alligator belt, Lands' End trousers, and Allen-Edmonds suede shoes.

The Hollywood Tower Apartments. Some Disney parks have rides that look like the Hollywood Tower Apartments.

IMG_7406.jpeg

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with a Cajun Chicken Sandwich and brown rice at Birds on Franklin Avenue picture.

IMG_7397.jpeg

Birds from across the street. The Daily Planet on the corner is not the Daily Planet where Clark Kent, Lois Lane, and Jimmy Olsen worked.

IMG_7401.jpeg

Close up of the shoes and Vincent Price's star on Hollywood Blvd.

IMG_7383.jpeg

More old Hollywood, Villa Carlotta on Franklin Avenue.

IMG_7402.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New suit, in case you couldn’t tell by the basting I was too lazy to snip off lol. Would happily accept ways y’all would style it…I, as you all know, am not a creative fella.
View attachment 1676781
Well certainly not with an almost matchy matchy tie!
I have a similar nailhead suit from SS which I wear for more formal occasions. Your signature solid white shirt is fine but a dark blue garza fina tie provides a bit of textural interest.
Also I’ve been meaning to mention this for ages so since you (sorta) invited critique … I don’t think those shirts with such a soft collar band do you any favours. They look kinda limp and weedy. Something with a bit more structure would look better IMO and complement your FIH tie knots but if it’s a deliberate choice of yours to go for that look then of course feel free to ignore me!

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New suit, in case you couldn’t tell by the basting I was too lazy to snip off lol. Would happily accept ways y’all would style it…I, as you all know, am not a creative fella.
View attachment 1676781
The scale of the nailhead and gingham are too close for me, but I like the tonal vibe you're going for

loarbmhs

Reaction score
I have a similar nailhead suit from SS which I wear for more formal occasions. Your signature solid white shirt is fine but a dark blue garza fina tie provides a bit of textural interest.
Also I’ve been meaning to mention this for ages so since you (sorta) invited critique … I don’t think those shirts with such a soft collar band do you any favours. They look kinda limp and weedy. Something with a bit more structure would look better IMO and complement your FIH tie knots but if it’s a deliberate choice of yours to go for that look then of course feel free to ignore me!
Your critique is spot on. The "dots" of the nailhead and tie are way too similar. And as for the shirts, I too have held off saying anything. I was going to ask, "Do you own any shirts that aren't (apparently) linen?" Agree that a crisp broadcloth would look better. But like you, if this is a look that he likes, who am I to interfere?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers. Critique is always welcome, even if not solicited. I am still trying to suss out ties that will complement the suit well. I'm admittedly rather boring, so the standard grenadines (black, grey, dark navy) are all likely options. Any others you can think of, or would you keep the suit confined to plain accessories?
IRT shirt collars, that's very fair. The soft look ain't for everyone...and certainly minimizes the formal factor. That said, I am pretty well married to them, at least for now. Save for the truly formal occasions where crispness is almost needed, I don't find the tradeoff in giving up comfort worth it...input appreciated though.
The scale of the nailhead and gingham are too close for me, but I like the tonal vibe you're going for
100% agreed. This is suboptimal, without question. I was mentally committed to the tie prior, and was too stubborn to back out. At this point, I'm thinking plains, be they grenadine or repp, will be the likely tie of choice with the suit.
Your critique is spot on. The "dots" of the nailhead and tie are way too similar. And as for the shirts, I too have held off saying anything. I was going to ask, "Do you own any shirts that aren't (apparently) linen?" Agree that a crisp broadcloth would look better. But like you, if this is a look that he likes, who am I to interfere?
Don't feel the need to censor yourself, by all means, though, for the sanity of all, probably best not to reiterate the POV every time lol. I do have some proper cottons, but they see little wear, outside of necessity. I do prefer the look (and feel) of linen (and linen blends), and all things considered, there's virtually no circumstance (save for the truly formal occasions mentioned above) where anybody in my daily life (personal, professional, yada yada yada), is going to check me on my collared shirt not being enough as is. But, as always, disparate views appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads