• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Druddra

Reaction score
You look great! Since you’re such a big guy, there are a few things I’d suggest, if you don’t mind. And I offer these as a big guy myself, although I cannot hold a candle to you (this, meant as a compliment).

The jacket looks great, especially through the shoulders, chest, and the waist being slender. This flatters your naturally (or built!) large upperbody build. But if you can get a longer jacket, one that covers your butt and comes lower in front of your crotch, eg, if you can just curl your fingertips under the main hem of the jacket, that would help to balance your broad frame with your height.

Your trousers in this photo look a bit tight, and I’m guessing you might feel more comfortable in something a bit fuller in the thigh, but a trouser that tapers down to your shoes. This would also be flattering on you, IMO. Pleats, I think, would be great for you, as they’d give you the room you’d need higher up, but would drape nice and give you clean lines vertically. In addition to this, wearing your trousers with braces (suspenders) will help to keep the lines clean.

Lastly, on a guy like yourself, IMO, a fedora would look stellar. It would accent your height, elongate your profile, and make people who look at you do looking up and down, as opposed to noticing your bulk (which I might add is in itself not a bad thing, but if you can balance these things is a plus).

Oh, one last thing: your shoes look fine. Without knowing too much about your feet based on these limited pics, it looks like you’ve fairly dainty feet, and if that is indeed the case, look into slender-waisted dress shoes (that is, the middle part of the shoe—the arch), shoes that hug your feet and accent the gracefulness there. On the other side of the spectrum, if I’m wrong about how your feet appear in these pics, and/or if the kind of shoes I’m talking about have proved uncomfortable for you in the past/present, you’d probably look really great in traditional American-style shoes, such as bucks, plain toe bluchers, and saddle shoes.

Not sure if this is helpful. But rest assured that you’re already looking 1000% better than most men walking around out there.
Sutch a beautiful comment!

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The temperatures in NYC have plummeted to autumnal levels, and it is sunny and dry - a perfect day for a three piece suit and a proper hat. Today's attire reflects my maximalist tastes - a lot of little details in the entire ensemble, but, I hope, all part of a harmonious whole.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - London York
Cufflinks - Longmire
Vintage watch chain
Braces - Albert Thurston, via Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Boots - J Fitzpatrick
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

View attachment 1835628

Do you wear that mask Crusty?
It look very very good.
Where you buy it?
Where you wear it?
Please wear it in next photo so me see how it look on you.

Me always want one like that.
The bent nose is very very good.
Crusty with mask.gif

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I much like the colour combination and the jacket's fabric is gorgeous. The small bow tie looks off in my eyes, especially with that button-down collar.
Thanks. I like smaller bow tie knots. I know not everyone is on board with that. Do you think a small bow tie would look better with a different kind of collar?

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear that mask Crusty?
It look very very good.
Where you buy it?
Where you wear it?
Please wear it in next photo so me see how it look on you.

Me always want one like that.
The bent nose is very very good.
View attachment 1835905

In answer to your question, I have, to date, never worn the mask shown to the right of me in the photo referenced. It was purchased in Venice - actually, in a gift shop in the train station in Venice, as I was leaving Venice in 2019 for Verona (only because I couldn't find the mask shop near my hotel in the Dorsoduro open as I was leaving Venice).

As to your request, I will see whether or not I can coordinate an upcoming ensemble to it. If so, I will take a photo, which will satisfy your curiosity, and amuse everyone else, I believe. As it is, it would not be the first time that I've worn a Carnevale mask with a outfit posting. Many years ago, a trollish poster maintained that the sight of my face made him ill, so I posted my photos with another Carnevale mask (a souvenir of my first trip to Venice), which shut him up, and amused the rest of the readership.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I like smaller bow tie knots. I know not everyone is on board with that. Do you think a small bow tie would look better with a different kind of collar?

Yes, a button-down collar is a rather casual style and requires less formal ties, like a knit one. Of course if you like the bow-tie, feel free to wear it.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, a button-down collar is a rather casual style and requires less formal ties, like a knit one. Of course if you like the bow-tie, feel free to wear it.

Given that you're not familiar with the top stitching on my sport coat, you also may not be familiar with classic ivy/trad style. A bow tie with a button down collar is not only the norm in ivy/trad style, but the ideal. Additionally, button down collars can/are worn with formal suits in the ivy canon. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it's what I love.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that you're not familiar with the top stitching on my sport coat, you also may not be familiar with classic ivy/trad style. A bow tie with a button down collar is not only the norm in ivy/trad style, but the ideal. Additionally, button down collars can/are worn with formal suits in the ivy canon. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it's what I love.

I admit not being familiar with that style. As you and I said, it's not my cup of tea. Take the positive and ignore the negative of my comment, of course to each his own.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads