• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up an S&M suit and a Formosa sport coat yesterday. My alterations tailor (who was trained as a bespoke tailor in Romania) has worked on several suits and jackets from each. He likes S&M and dislikes Formosa. Yesterday he walked me through his reasons for his opinion in great detail, but it basically boils down to “this house (Formosa) is a school. They are trying to teach the apprentices how to do everything by hand, and sometimes the work is good and sometimes it is not.” He keeps telling me to buy more S&M and stop buying Formosa.

I’m not pretending that my tailor’s observation is truth or more valid than anyone else’s. But it is at least interesting to hear from a tailor that cares about hand work (he did all of the alterations on the Formosa by hand) that he prefers the S&M.

I figured as much my first two jackets came out practically flawless. My third jacket had a bunch of issues at the fitting and after the fitting that needed correction. I LOVE their cut but I'm worried about giving them a big order with some of the cloth i have been saving.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured as much my first two jackets came out practically flawless. My third jacket had a bunch of issues at the fitting and after the fitting that needed correction. I LOVE their cut but I'm worried about giving them a big order with some of the cloth i have been saving.

I have a flannel POW Formosa suit that was really well-executed. This linen sport coat... not so much. It’s not confidence inspiring. Which is unfortunate because I agree that the intended* cut is excellent.

*The shoulders on my new jacket were wonky. They measured fine, but weren’t constructed well, so the fit was slightly awkward. Then there are small, but obvious things, like the really poorly shaped pockets (super jagged edges) and the like. The main issues were fixed by my tailor, but the expense was very significant.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a flannel POW Formosa suit that was really well-executed. This linen sport coat... not so much. It’s not confidence inspiring. Which is unfortunate because I agree that the intended cut is excellent.

Its to be expected I guess. They aren't a factory which has a Q&A process to ensure the details and measurements are exact. FWIW i had issues with the POW linen. I have a second bolt waiting to be made up whenever this current one gives out. I will probably micro manage the next thing I get made with them :confused2:.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its to be expected I guess. They aren't a factory which has a Q&A process to ensure the details and measurements are exact. FWIW i had issues with the POW linen. I have a second bolt waiting to be made up whenever this current one gives out. I will probably micro manage the next thing I get made with them :confused2:.

I agree it is to be expected and I’m certainly not mad about it. But it makes me hesitant to place another order.

Wilson13

Reaction score
FA7848A2-5915-4084-9B82-B0D3594F776E.jpeg
First post in this thread - sorry for the poor quality bathroom selfie.

Super wrinkled Solbiati bottle green linen, taupe-ish linen pants, cotton-linen shirt, and silk tie

Jacket - Studiosuits
Pants - Studiosuits (part of a suit)
Shirt - Mytailor
Shoes - Meermin
Tie - Banana Republic (made in Italy, found in a clearance bin for $15 probably a decade ago)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
41038B26-2D09-413C-9F35-9AAB3B63A739.jpeg

Totally aghast that it’s hot and awful out and our pool is closed for the season. Time to find lifeguards who are not students!

Canali unlined summer suit, Isaia cotton blend tie and Zegna shirt. Hat from JJ’s Hat Center in NYC.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics